Bought a Windows Tablet - a few thoughts

Win 10 is a strange one, it's the first windows I've used where I don't fully feel like the owner, it's just a few things like skeezix says but it does make a psychological difference. TBH I've not done much digging yet and hope someone will fix this soon..
I am using a Windows 10 VM so I can work on stuff for some classes and even little things are a headache. This weekend I tried opening a ,pdf that had stuff I needed to throw in a spreadsheet. It wanted me to install something from their store or something like that, so I skipped it and told it to convert it to a Word document, which trashed everything. I then opened it in whatever the new MS browser is, as it said it could open it, yet I was having trouble copying from that. In the end I just typed in everything I needed, as I wasting too much time trying to sort everything else. I have had more little things like this bugging me than I did with 7 and earlier.

I am sure Windows 10 serves a purpose for some users. It is so far beyond what I want from an OS that I would consider OS X if I needed one of the "big ones". I haven't decided if the problem is that I am getting to a point where I don't like changes (old, set in my ways), or if some of the changes the majority are fine with are truly as bad as I tell myself they are. I don't need a touchscreen based OS, and don't own a tablet (although I may get one if they ever look like TNG era PADDs). Windows 10 is probably great for that, and those that don't like/want to get knee deep in the guts of what they are running. A keyboard is far more useful to me at present than a touchscreen, except with some games. Even if I had voice control, I would still stick with the keyboard (and mouse/trackball/nubs/trackpoint/etc.) for many things. I would like to talk to my computer and not feel like an idiot, though. :D Does Windows 10 let you do that, yet? Wait, nevermind, I don't want MS listening to me.

Just want to see if this alleviates the hardware problems and see what you can get in terms of audio, wifi (probably over an ethernet device), Bluetooth, USB, and any level of 3D acceleration.

I'd personally prefer to to be Linux Mint w/MATE but anything should work. Not sure about actual VM software to use; I've only used VirtualBox but I hear Xen and KVM are faster.

Had a go at Virtual Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" - MATE (64-bit) with the CHuwi HI 10

Pleased to report that it installed without issues using Virtualbox & WinCDEmu

Allocated 1Gig of system ram, and 128MB for the gpu with 3D acceleration enabled.

Here's what I found :

audio : works as expected
wifi : works as expected
bluetooth : tested KB and mouse both work as expected
USB : works as expected
3D acceleration : 3D performance was poor and did not seem to get better if 3D acceleration & additional graphics memory were allocted in the VM settings.

So in summary it seemed fine for desktop / office / surfing use, but fell down where video capability was required, youtube playback had frequent stutters, 3D games show poor frame rates etc.

Hope that helps, anything else you want to see?

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Using Windows for virtually all games was always kind of my expectation with this, since there are going to be a decent number on Steam that don't support Linux anyway (or aren't as well tested under this.. I've ran into a few that are listed as supporting but needed various hoops to get working). So long as basic desktop operations aren't noticeably slow I don't have much problem. Ultimately I'd like to have some level of OGL working for various development purposes though.

The issues with video playback are unfortunate, but I guess it's not much of an issue using Windows for browser stuff too since most decent browsers are about the same cross-platform.

I bought a Chuwi vi8 a while back. It has a Baytrail SOC and dual boots windows 8.1 and Android. Awesome tablet. The most ridiculous thing about it was that it was $90 delivered.

Skeezix you can also run Steam on linux. This is not a windows exclusive platform anymore.
Certainly can; Steam Windows even streams to Steam Linux and vice versa pretty well. Steve Windows under Wine also streams... sort of :O (I also have a Steam Controller and a Steam Thingy-for-tv . I'm quite invested :)

But of course, many games are not ported to Linux natively, so Steam on native Linux isn't always what you need. My main box is Debian, but I keep the laptop as Windows for those times when just can't get something to work under Linux one way or another :/

jeff

That's why I usually support only multiplatform games, and I don't buy consoles anymore. Obviously I'm part of a very small minority.

It's multiplatform and DRM-free all the way for me, I don't buy anything else.
I would buy Linux-only games of course, but don't even know if something like that exists at all.

That's why I usually support only multiplatform games, and I don't buy consoles anymore. Obviously I'm part of a very small minority.

I don't have consoles too, and I can understand that doing a multiplatform game could be time/resource consuming, but the thing I hate the most is that many consoles are actually PCs... XBOX games for example are almost ready to work even on a Windows PC but they just "choose" to keep many titles only there...

but the same could be true even for console only games...
I'm ok with that, actually. Consoles generally distinguish themselves by being technically different, with different capabilities, and they compete on these marks. It actually kind of bothers me (but not really) when a game is released cross platform because it indicates that they didn't really take any one machine to it's full potential, they just went with a lowest common denominator to release it on more than one thing.
There is no such technical difference between Linux and Windows: they are capable of exactly the same things, they just do them differently. Furthermore, most Linux stuff is available for Windows as well at no extra cost: by targeting Linux, a game developer will generally get Windows for free. Instead, we get companies targeting Windows with stretch goals of maybe one day thinking about supporting Linux. And there's no technical limitation to this. You can argue OpenGL vs DirectX but at the end of the day they're just different ways of doing the same thing: DirectX does something different, OpenGL catches up; OpenGL does something different, DirectX implements it too and claims they did it first... (joke ;) )
Anywho, that's my opinion anyway. I'm against Windows-only gaming because there's no technical reason for it.

I don't have consoles too, and I can understand that doing a multiplatform game could be time/resource consuming, but the thing I hate the most is that many consoles are actually PCs... XBOX games for example are almost ready to work even on a Windows PC but they just "choose" to keep many titles only there...

that's true nowadays, yes, but until recently consoles were technically different from PCs so required more effort. I don't know about XboxOne, but while the PS4 is close to PC Hardware, its graphics API is not OpenGL either and works closer to the hardware in the same fashion as DirectX12 and Vulkan - therefore converting such titles on the PC may be difficult at this point in time, or at least time-consuming. Nevertheless, there's about no game that looks better on consoles than on PCs nowadays, so I have virtually no reason to ever consider consoles again. Sure, they will have (a few) exclusives, but I'm beyond caring. The Golden Age of Consoles exclusives is a thing of the past, now you only need two hands to count the worthy ones.

Problem being that if everyone keeps windows for gaming we will never see Linux as a legitimate gming platform.
A million times this. When there are games I want which are only on Windows on Steam, I've taken to adding them to my wish list and keeping them there until they finally get released on Linux.
I'm pretty sure they will use the wish-list data somehow but I've stopped buying windows only games, even if they run through wine.

I've missed out on some titles, although to be frank, I've got such a back log of games, some of which are even from the NES/Atari days I don't see it as an issue.

A million times this. When there are games I want which are only on Windows on Steam, I've taken to adding them to my wish list and keeping them there until they finally get released on Linux.
I'm pretty sure they will use the wish-list data somehow but I've stopped buying windows only games, even if they run through wine.

I've missed out on some titles, although to be frank, I've got such a back log of games, some of which are even from the NES/Atari days I don't see it as an issue.

Yes, my stance is pretty much the same, but with a combination of:
- reduced time for gaming nowadays
- enough amount of very good games on Linux

there is basically no reason for me to go back to Windows for gaming. I am only making ONE exception, that's Witcher 3, because I am a big fan of the series/books and it's still not clear if a Linux version is every going to come out. For the rest, I can either be patient or disregard it.

...I am only making ONE exception, that's Witcher 3, because I am a big fan of the series/books and it's still not clear if a Linux version is every going to come out. For the rest, I can either be patient or disregard it.

I'm curious about that too, but I suppose they will do the same as TW2... anyway there's no problem for me to wait, I always liked to get the GotY/Legendary/Complete edition of games like that, and they are still adding things for it...

Witcher II is totally awesome. I've just completed the main story and completed every ppossible quest (two I can't do due to bugs) and one I failed, but it's a massive game and hugely enjoyable throughout - the world never feels empty and there's always something to do and somewhere to go. Nine months after starting it I was still finding new things and places to visit. I've now started on the first DLC installment. Definitely my game of the decade, not just GOTY.

However you can get Witcher III, get it!

@iprice: about TW2 i was referring about the "fake" linux port, I'm actually playing it (on windows), started some weeks ago, and my only complain is about the controls not at all mouse/keyboard friendly...

I was trying to get into the Witcher series, played the first one to the first town, shut down, and the next time I started it up: graphical glitches everywhere. Restarted, graphical glitches from the start. No idea what changed.

Back