Brick Panic

saboteur

OK, i've finally gotten around to looking at my poorly 2x.

I've got it connectec via a BOB to the PC by a full ( I checked ) parellel cable.

I turned on power to the BOB, turned on the 2x and then booted the pc.

I then ran the GP2XRecovery tool and this is what I got

<code>
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
&copy; Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>GP2XRecovery
JTAGProbe - JTAG interface to the ARM9TDMI/ARM7TDMI
DIGNSYS Inc. (www.dignsys.com)
Modified by Kane. September 2004

Jtag - Using port 0x378
CreateService SUCCESS
failure: StartService (0x02)
Can't get a handle to \\.\giveio
1 file(s) copied.
failure: CreateService, ERROR_SERVICE_EXISTS
StartService SUCCESS
CreateFile SUCCESS
jtag_reset();
JTAG interface reset.
jtag_idcode();
Device ID..0xFFFFFFFF
CPU Not Support!
ControlService SUCCESS
DeleteService SUCCESS
</code>

I've then turned of the 2x for 20 seconds - installed my sd with the 2x firmware on, held down start and select and turned on the 2x.

Nothing, Nada ZIP

just the same old very dark grey lines on the screen.

Any ideas, clues etc.

Failing that, anyone know if craig is still selling the 2x, I need one tommorrow.

cheers

i think i have read here that it's not guaranteed to work every time you run it, it may take a few tries before you can flash anything.

also, from the guide: QUOTE
If they don't include a long list of "Write block" messages, then the reflashing has failed, even if you get a "Success" message at the end. Eventually, it'll tell you it's finished.

i'd try it some more...but keep in mind that i haven't actually used jtag ever, and definitely not with the gp2x, so take that fwiw. so maybe just a few more times, until someone who's done it can advise you :/

rokdcasbah said:
i think i have read here that it's not guaranteed to work every time you run it, it may take a few tries before you can flash anything.

also, from the guide: QUOTE
If they don't include a long list of "Write block" messages, then the reflashing has failed, even if you get a "Success" message at the end. Eventually, it'll tell you it's finished.
i'd try it some more...but keep in mind that i haven't actually used jtag ever, and definitely not with the gp2x, so take that fwiw. so maybe just a few more times, until someone who's done it can advise you :/

Well, i've tried and tried but to no avail, it looks like the pc is not talking to the 2x.

Anybody got a clue or else my first edition is due for the spares bin :(

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I had almost the same problem, when I held start+select to flash it, it didnt do anything, but I changed SD cards, and it worked fine. I recommend you to try that.

saboteur said:
Device ID..0xFFFFFFFF
This is your problem. If this is 0xFFFFFFFF or 0x00000000 then your PC can't talk to the GP2X. Check your cabling and connections. Also make sure your parallel port is on the motherboard (not a PCI card like some pc's have) and check the parallel port status in bios - If it's set to EPP, change it to ECC (and vice versa, I can't remember which doesn't work), also try SPP if your bios allows.

DJWillis said:
Also make sure you have a 1:1 parallel cable and not a 'laplink' style lead.
I've 'toned' each of the individual pins on the cable and each pin is connected and it is 1:1.

I've now tried this procedure on three pc's 2 xp and 1 win 2k with no joy and exactly the same output.

Looks like my ickle 2X has passed over into another realm - sigh.

DJWillis said:
saboteur said:
Looks like my ickle 2X has passed over into another realm - sigh.
Got access to a Linux box? The GPH tool is not exactly what people would call good ;)

Yep - didn't know you could do this from linux though ??

Can u give me a heads up.

Back