Bring Back Gpfce! (zodttd? Anyone?)

Fargo posted on Dec 8 2006 at 11:52 AM said:
I cannot get you Epicenter! What would you gain from bashing gp2x in almost every post you make in this forum? :huh:

We have already heard from you about slow, weak, and crippled CPUs inside gp2x. You have expressed yourself very well in that regard, so, please stop discouraging coders and start enjoying your console!

It didn't really sound like a GP2X bash (this time). He can't enjoy his console because his console (XGP) is not out yet ;) He busted his GP2X attempting a d-pad mod.

On topic:

While it is true that it may not be possible for "perfect" NES, C64, or PC-Engine those can certainly be alot better than they are now. They may need a huge amount of speed on the PC but unoptimised code is probably one of the reasons for that. You really don't need to optimise on the PC as you have plenty of power there, you can be sloppy and get near perfect emulation.

Little John by YoYofr on the GP32 was a far better NES emu than any on the GP2X (the source is available I think). GP-Engine on the GP32 at *166 Mhz* was better than anything on the GP2X especially in the sound department. So the hardware argument is kind of moot. Emus on the GP2X aren't as simple as porting a PC emu over and re-mapping controls. You need to optimize to get good performance and I suppose the fact is no one has the time or desire to do it so far. This scene is small and there are just not alot of coders doing stuff. It is kind of dissapointing but what can you do?

I would have though by now some of those emus would have been better by now. Maybe the lousy joystick is killing the motivation for devs to work on stuff I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't get too down on GPFCE. If you overclock to 220 or so basically every game runs full speed, with excellent compatibility. It also has turbo and game genie support.

That being said, it would be nice not to have to overclock at all for NES, and the button layout for save states and stuff could certainly be improved.

Is this an open source project if so someone direct me to the source code and when I am finished with my previous projects I could give it a try and see what I can do to optimize it.

I remember Litlle john was just a tad slower than the ones on the 2x

You're correct DaveC, the sources were released (http://www.gp32x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,550). If no one wants to improve GPFCE (source also available), then porting it would be a very good starting point.

Fargo said:
I cannot get you Epicenter! What would you gain from bashing gp2x in almost every post you make in this forum? huh.gif

We have already heard from you about slow, weak, and crippled CPUs inside gp2x. You have expressed yourself very well in that regard, so, please stop discouraging coders
Please have some idea what you're talking about before you flame me. I didn't say there was a problem with the CPU being slow. The ARM920T is in fact very fast. The ARM940T is crippled but we're not talking about that. This emulator doesn't even use it in the slightest. I said the emulator needs a 6502 CPU core (the NES' CPU) written in efficient ARM9 ASM fo the emulator to run at decent speed. I didn't discourage any coders, I made a suggestion of what NEEDS to be done.

As for where to find such a core without writing one from the ground up-- a couple already seem to exist. Like the one that was allegedly in Little John. It should run faster because #1, the base clockrate, 200 MHz, is higher than the ARM9 in the GP32's ~132 MHz, and #2, there is at least a blitter to speed up screen writing a bit.

As for 6502 / NES CPU differences, the RP2A03 isn't significantly different from a real MOS 6502-- the main change was integration of Nintendo's custom sound generator. A 6502 core should work with minimal alteration. It could also be borrowed from Hu6280 and altered to suit GPFCE or any NES emulator. After all, the PC Engine/TGFX16 uses a 65C02 processor in a custom package (65C02 is just a CMOS variant of the 6502 and utilizes the same instruction set) and Hu6280's CPU core is written in fast 6502 ASM. The system is much more difficult and strenuous to emulate than the NES-- its CPU, in fact, runs about 3x as fast-- so it's plain obvious there's no reason for GPFCE to run this slowly. It's just not optimized at all.

Fargo said:
and start enjoying your console!
I don't use my GP2X now; I play NES games on my real NES, and my DS. They run nicely. :) But um, thanks for your suggestion. I'll enjoy my consoles.

Epicenter posted on Dec 8 2006 at 12:30 PM said:
It could also be borrowed from Hu6280 and altered to suit GPFCE or any NES emulator.

I was actually looking forward to a Hu6280 source release just so I could peek at vobbo's CPU core. I wish he would at least release the source if he's not going to come back any time soon. Does he respond to emails? Maybe I'll just email him about it.

Ravnos posted on Dec 8 2006 at 08:27 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Dec 8 2006 at 12:30 PM said:
It could also be borrowed from Hu6280 and altered to suit GPFCE or any NES emulator.

I was actually looking forward to a Hu6280 source release just so I could peek at vobbo's CPU core. I wish he would at least release the source if he's not going to come back any time soon. Does he respond to emails? Maybe I'll just email him about it.
he keeps saying hes coming back.

Ravnos posted on Dec 8 2006 at 05:58 PM said:
The Christians keep saying the same thing about Jesus but he still hasn't shown up either.
Calm down. everybody knows Jesus is coming back sometime in 2012.

As for vobbo, he has no obligation whatsoever to anyone.

- Alex

The Christians keep saying the same thing about Jesus but he still hasn't shown up either.

Maybe he is here, but seeing the state of world affairs has decided to go incognito :ph34r:

Ravnos posted on Dec 8 2006 at 10:58 PM said:
ROFL, that was great!

TelcoLou posted on Dec 8 2006 at 11:19 PM said:

Maybe he is here, but seeing the state of world affairs has decided to go incognito :ph34r:
What does "incognito" directly translate to, in Latin, anyway?

sam fisher posted on Dec 8 2006 at 06:34 PM said:
ROFL, that was great!

Conocer (Spanish): to know. In- not.

Shikaku posted on Dec 8 2006 at 06:36 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Dec 8 2006 at 06:34 PM said:
ROFL, that was great!

Conocer (Spanish): to know. In- not.

or:

"From Latin incognitus, unknown (in- not + cognitus known, past participle of cognoscere); via Italian incognito"

Jesus will come back for sure but no one knows when. He will kill the Antichrist then.

Fargo posted on Dec 9 2006 at 12:39 AM said:
Jesus will come back for sure but no one knows when. He will kill the Antichrist then.

Indeed he will. And he will carry down from heaven with him a new, Godly GP2x that miraculously has aquired 3D acceleration and WiFi.

Back