Gpfce And Battletoads

Joobloo

Still Fresh
Hey all,

Just got an f200 for xmas, so I'm a newb to this system. Loaded up gpfce (what a great emu) and my fav nes title battletoads. Everything seems to run great until the second level. If I accidentally press all four of the d-pad buttons simultaneously then my toad just drops downward off the screen and the game becomes unplayable and needs to be reset. Now, being a newb, this may be some setting in the f200 that I need to turn off, or a setting in the emu. It doesn't happen on the first or third levels. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Sounds like a pretty strange bug. I have to ask though, isn't it pretty easy to just not hit all the buttons simultaneously and continue as normal?

Thanks for the reply! Yes, it's possible to be very careful about not hitting all four buttons and the game plays fine. But, the second level is where you rack up all your extra men from hitting the birds multiple times, and I find myself accidentally triggering this bug more times than not (the d-pad is quite small, and just quickly going from left to right sometimes results in the bug). I take it that it has something to do with emulating the d-pad button that is missing in the f200. Can anyone verify this on their f200?

I guess I could see how that would happen and be extremely annoying. Don't have an F200 though so I can't tell you anything.

Hi Joob. In some emus it is possible to enable /disable left & right simultaneous btn pressing, and the same for up & down.

I don't recall if this emu does that - I will try to find time to check it out later.

Notaz is the developper on this.

By the way Notaz - if you're reading: the mario bros 3 bug is now definately a thing of the past. I also managed to complete TMNT with the last build. Thanks

Oh and welcome to the GP2X community Joobloo :)

I think it's not a problem with the emulator, many NES (and even Genesis) games misbehave themselves when you press left+right, up+down or all directions. Real NES pad probably didn't allow such combinations.
From tasvideos.org Battletoads comments:

Pressing left+right causes some weird behavior on the characters leading them to apparently change planes

I can add an option to prevent L+R and similar things if it's such a problem.

Thanks for the welcome midget35! After reading Notaz's reply (that makes so much sense!), I went to check exactly which button combo triggered the weird behavior. It is the up+down combo that causes it. If an option could be added to prevent up+down and L+R, us f200 owners would be incredibly grateful (at least I would!) Thanks everyone for your help.

Station said:
I can't even get battletoads running XD, i can run nes games on a snes emulator right?
I dont think you can. Look up gpfce under the emulators section in the archives - that is a fantastic NES emulator - works really well.

Last edited by a moderator:
sataniC Virus said:
Station said:
I can't even get battletoads running XD, i can run nes games on a snes emulator right?
I dont think you can. Look up gpfce under the emulators section in the archives - that is a fantastic NES emulator - works really well.

Yeah i decided to give the nes emulator a try and everything worked fine, oh and i tried pressing all the directional buttons while playing battletoads and the same happened to me, to be honest though i don't know how you can accidently press every single directional button XD.

P.S Battletoads is hard as hell :p

Station, it's the up+down combo that causes the problem. It happens to me quite often on my f200. When I go from left to right or vice versa quickly, my thumb rolls over the up+down buttons and effectively ends the game. I agree the game is hard as hell :) But it's awesome! Thanks for testing it.

Joobloo said:
Station, it's the up+down combo that causes the problem. It happens to me quite often on my f200. When I go from left to right or vice versa quickly, my thumb rolls over the up+down buttons and effectively ends the game. I agree the game is hard as hell :) But it's awesome! Thanks for testing it.
I don't really have a problem because i don't slide my thumb across i actually take it off the gp2x when changing directions, maybe you should give that a try? By the way level 3 for the lose lol XD

Back