Picodrive And Gpfce Updated

notaz said:
cyclone5uk said:
Is there a way of turning them back into an ISO so I can compress it using CSO?

At the moment (for example) Sonic CD is taking up something like 120mb on my SD card...
If you are using windows, you can mount the .bin with daemon tools, and then make a ISO with some ripping tool like Nero (like described here).

I have Alcohol 120, so I should be able to mount it with that - I'll try it when I get home, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
PokeParadox said:
I'm just curious... Couldn't we ZIP ISOs in previous releases of PicoDrive? Do ISOs compress better with CSO format or something? Just wondering if there is any real benefit? :)
If the game does much random CD access (what most do), you get horrible load times with ZIP, because you can't seek in compressed stream (at least I don't know how to), and have to decompress from the beginning every time game seeks back.
CSO files use the same compression as ZIP (inflate), but every sector is compressed separately, so it allows free seeking, but has slightly worse compression ratio.

Thanks for the explanation! I'll see if any games are really painful to play with Zip and then try CSO :)

Ok, colour me confused...I've got Mega CD games (like cyclone) that come in folders with MP3 files and a compressed BIN file (not an ISO) yet everything runs fine...so what is the point of turning it back into an ISO?

EDIT: Ignore me, turns out they WERE ISOs after all. :D

Me again...anyone had any trouble getting Road Avenger and Sol-Feace to work? I've tried both the uncompressed ISO and the CSO format...but they just freeze.

Shame, as they're two of my fave MCD games. Also seems strange that they're both Wolf Team releases, too...

I seem to have found a bug on the controls in PicoDrive when playing Genesis games.

I mapped the emulator controls to these settings:

Load State: Left + R
Save State: Right +R
Prev Slot: Left + L
Next Slot: Right + L

When I execute any of these combinations, the emulator acts weird. It seems to combine both the R & L shoulder commands into one.

e.g. When I press Right + R, it saves the game (slot 0), BUT it also moves to the next slot (slot 1), and vice versa.

It's like the program thinks I've pressed both R & L button, but I only pressed one of them.

(I also use this settings in GPFCE, and it works without any problem.)

BTW, I have a F200.

Thank you notaz for these wonderful emulators.

EDIT: It seems the controls are buggy as well when combining other two buttons.

Duddyroar said:
Me again...anyone had any trouble getting Road Avenger and Sol-Feace to work? I've tried both the uncompressed ISO and the CSO format...but they just freeze.

Shame, as they're two of my fave MCD games. Also seems strange that they're both Wolf Team releases, too...
For Wolfteam games you need to have "better sync" enabled in "Sega CD" options (just like "perfect sync" in Gens/Fusion).

Manjuu said:
I seem to have found a bug on the controls in PicoDrive when playing Genesis games.

I mapped the emulator controls to these settings:

Load State: Left + R
Save State: Right +R
Prev Slot: Left + L
Next Slot: Right + L

When I execute any of these combinations, the emulator acts weird. It seems to combine both the R & L shoulder commands into one.

e.g. When I press Right + R, it saves the game (slot 0), BUT it also moves to the next slot (slot 1), and vice versa.
It's like the program thinks I've pressed both R & L button, but I only pressed one of them.

(I also use this settings in GPFCE, and it works without any problem.)
Previous gpfce had similar problem, I fixed it there but forgot to check Pico.. Will look at this when I have time.

notaz said:
Previous gpfce had similar problem, I fixed it there but forgot to check Pico.. Will look at this when I have time.
Looking forward to that. :D Keep up the good work, and thank you very much. :)

BTW, it seems the "Overwrite Save? (Y=yes, X=no)" text seems to be distorted and takes awhile to display properly.

I have 2 Problems with the Mega-CD Emulation.
-First, I always have to format the RAM-Cart at the start. The formating of RAM-Card seems to be NOT saved via Picodrive. (Yes, the option is enabled in the Picodrive Options Menu) After a Reset, the RAM Card is unformated again.
-MP3's are not repeatet (Sonic CD). I had read the readme to where this was mentioned but think I have correct mp3's. They are repeated only after a Deley of one Minute or more I think.
I had tested Sonic CD at my PC with GENS (Same Files, Same Bios etc... )and here everything was working correct. RAM Card was saved correctly after formating and mp3's are repeated correctly in the Game. Maybe there is a problem with Picodrive itself.

But it's good, that you can use Savestates, so at least the RAM Card issue can be skipped. ^^

fusion_power said:
-First, I always have to format the RAM-Cart at the start. The formating of RAM-Card seems to be NOT saved via Picodrive. (Yes, the option is enabled in the Picodrive Options Menu) After a Reset, the RAM Card is unformated again.
Yes this is known. All games can work without RAM cart and just use bram (internal) saves, so I haven't bothered properly implementing this.

fusion_power said:
-MP3's are not repeatet (Sonic CD). I had read the readme to where this was mentioned but think I have correct mp3's. They are repeated only after a Deley of one Minute or more I think.
It just doesn't like your MP3s, because they ether have bad headers or are VBR encoded. Reencoding them to 128kbps CBR usually helps.

notaz said:
fusion_power said:
Yes this is known. All games can work without RAM cart and just use bram (internal) saves, so I haven't bothered properly implementing this.

Ah, OK. Yes, with Savestates this Problem can be solved. :)

notaz said:
fusion_power said:
It just doesn't like your MP3s, because they ether have bad headers or are VBR encoded. Reencoding them to 128kbps CBR usually helps.

Whoops, I've checked the mp3's again. I thought they were 128kb/s but they are 320kb/s. ^^""" . But the 44.1KHz value is ok. I don't know that much about mp3 encoding but I will try it with "CDEx".
Thanx. :)

background-2.png

here is the background I use for gpfce

notaz said:
It would be nice is somebody played SMB3 from start to completion without using warps and reported back.
I'm not sure I could resist the temptation, ha... :p

Back