Gpfce 0.4

TelcoLou said:
Erm, has anyone got a Game Genie code to work? I entered a few for Legacy of the Wizard, but none of them take effect ...
Cheating through Legacy of the Wizard I see :D I've just been trying to beat that game recently. I've had it for about 17 years. I really like it, although it can be smash-the-NES frustrating

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz said:
TelcoLou said:
Erm, has anyone got a Game Genie code to work? I entered a few for Legacy of the Wizard, but none of them take effect ...
Some types of cheats (which patch instructions/immediate values/PC relative values) will not work because of the way the asm cpu core works..

Ah, no problem. Just found another thing ..

... 2-player USB works great, but there is no option to map a 'start' and 'select' button to player 2.

Thanks again for all your great work on this project!

Jaguarandine said:
Cheating through Legacy of the Wizard I see :D I've just been trying to beat that game recently. I've had it for about 17 years. I really like it, although it can be smash-the-NES frustrating
:lol: We had to use a real Game Genie, even back in the day to beat the game ... it ranks up there with Kid Chameleon in the gargantuan size department :p

notaz said:
TelcoLou said:
... 2-player USB works great, but there is no option to map a 'start' and 'select' button to player 2.
Is it supposed to be there? My NES clone's second controller didn't have them, also there are none in most controller photos

Well, the U.S. version, the N.E.S. (not Famicon) had 2 identical controllers like these:

1757766008819633jpg0zk2.jpg

... it's needed for example, in Monopoly where player 2 can enter the menu to look at the deeds, board layout, etc.

Sorry if I'm being a pain in the ass about it :)

notaz said:
Is it supposed to be there? My NES clone's second controller didn't have them, also there are none in most controller photos

Yeah it's meant to be there. Famicom controls arnt the same as the NES ones :)

The picture TelcoLou posted of the control for the USA version of NES is the same control for the European and Australian/New Zealand NES Controller too.

thanks for sorting the Akumajou Densetsu bug, great work again notaz! :D

One small problem I've come across is that it doesn't seem to save config settings on a per-game basis even though the option is there. The global "default" settings seem to stick, but saving a config for one game only and then restarting the emulator causes it to revert to the default settings again. Also, if you save settings for one game then load a different game (without resetting) it uses the previous settings rather than the default ones. I checked in the roms folder and the fceultra folders and there doesn't seem to be any "per-game" config files written to the sd.

I also noticed that the documentation says that per-game palette files are supported, but a restart of the emulator is needed in order for new palettes to take effect so presumably this won't work currently.

One small usability thing: Would it be possible to have ips files highlighted in the file selector (such as having a red or blue font)? Since the file names have to be identical apart from the .ips extension, often the name endings fall off the screen so you can't actually tell which is which. Not a huge problem, but it would certainly help for big rom lists :)

The only other bugs I've noticed have been small audio glitches, though I see you've already mentioned that you're using slightly less accurate (but faster) code for the sound. Is this something you're still looking to improve? It's not really a big deal since it's only noticeable in some games, such as where sound effects cause a part of the music to cut out or vice versa, but it seems like there's still plenty of overhead there for improvement since most games can be heavily underclocked and still run at full speed.

Thanks again notaz for your great work on this emulator! A highly polished NES emu such as this has been one of the biggest things I've been looking forward to since I first got my gp2x :)

xythen said:
...It's not really a big deal since it's only noticeable in some games, such as where sound effects cause a part of the music to cut out or vice versa...
Don't a lot of NES games have this problem already? I remember quite a few that did this.

Geeeez :D

Thanks a lot notaz, scrolling is now perfect with the new VSYNC :D
Perfect emulation, now that's what I call fun :D

Oh, BTW: Nothing major, but maybe I just haven't found it out yet: Is it possible storing a default rom dir?

EvilDragon said:
Oh, BTW: Nothing major, but maybe I just haven't found it out yet: Is it possible storing a default rom dir?
Just exit the emulator properly or edit <where_you_have_gpfce>/fceultra/last_rom.txt file.

notaz said:
EvilDragon said:
Just exit the emulator properly or edit <where_you_have_gpfce>/fceultra/last_rom.txt file.

Hehe ;) Found this out today - until now I always switched off the gp2x instead of exiting ;)

Thanks a bunch for this nigh' perfect (or is it perfect? Haven't found any problems yet :D) emulator :)

Last edited:
duderoo said:
Looks like notaz posted a new build (rev 171). Its in the file archives: http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,5,2136

Thanks notaz! :D

I noticed it earlier ... in case anyone else is wondering "what's new", from the readme:

rev 171
- Added optional "Accurate renderer", which is the original FCE Ultra
0.98.x renderer + PPU emulation code. It's much slower, but it can
handle games which need more precise PPU timing emulation (like
Marble Madness).
- Fixed saving and loading of game specific configs.
- Some other minor changes.

The new "accurate renderer" should only be used in extreme cases, because it is really slow and needs overclocking to run perfect fullspeed.

The Punch-Out problems earlier reported can be fixed by going to FCE Ultra options and setting first visible line to 0 and last line to 239 (or using European version). Lines need to be rendered there for correct sprite hit emulation. There are few other games which need this.

Custom game specific palettes work fine for me, couldn't reproduce the problem.

So generally I think I am done with gpfce, unless there are more bugs to fix.

notaz said:
I thought the previous version was already as good as it could get :)
Fine craftwork again Notaz, you turned a nice emulator into an amazing one, thanks.

Is it too soon to ask you to fill us in on your future plans? I'm sure I am not the only one who is really really curious ;)

notaz said:
The new "accurate renderer" should only be used in extreme cases, because it is really slow and needs overclocking to run perfect fullspeed.

The Punch-Out problems earlier reported can be fixed by going to FCE Ultra options and setting first visible line to 0 and last line to 239 (or using European version). Lines need to be rendered there for correct sprite hit emulation. There are few other games which need this.

Custom game specific palettes work fine for me, couldn't reproduce the problem.

Good stuff Notaz. Looking forward to trying it out later.

Is it too soon to ask you to fill us in on your future plans? I'm sure I am not the only one who is really really curious ;)
Well I am not sure, I am experimenting with some things right now, don't know if I end up with something useful. But I know it will take some time.

Back