Broadband On The Go...

The easier way would probably be just to tether using BT to the phone. The Nokia tablets have a nice little applet that allows easy tethering to Phones via BT. I believe it is open source, so someone should be able to make something similar for Pandora and just fly with that. Eliminates the need for porting drivers over.

My suggestion would be to tether your 3G cellphone to the pandora with bluetooth, and just add a PPP chatscript for your carrier. I can post the one that I wrote for verizon wireless. But, as long as your cellphone supports the Bluetooth DUN profile, and you are paying for the broadband access on your cellphone, getting this working will be pretty easy.

I've been doing this for about a year and a half with linux devices (linux laptop, 770, n800, linux on an OQO 02), and it works pretty well. It works in a similar way to plugging your phone in to the USB jack. My scripts are for bluetooth.

Let me know if anybody wants me to post it.

Edit:
Just to be clear, there are *NO* drivers necessary outside of having bluez and ppp installed.

yaustar said:
filiph.ps said:
the Huawei e220 USB Modem is the one that three uses mostly needs 2.6.2 kernel and the pandora is said to use the 2.6 kernel. so it won't work natively.
Do you which modems are supported natively by Linux?

sorry i only know about that one as i did some research about it before i got it as i wanted it working on my linux laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this has been asked before (damn that has been said a lot :) ) but what internet speeds will be realistic with internet bluetooth? And how much will the advantage be with a WIFI phone?

I'm thinking about trading in my phone for one with WIFI capability if it really improves the internet usage on the pandora. Luckily internet charges in the Netherlands are very reasonable :D

MarkoeZ said:
Sorry if this has been asked before (damn that has been said a lot :) ) but what internet speeds will be realistic with internet bluetooth? And how much will the advantage be with a WIFI phone?

I'm thinking about trading in my phone for one with WIFI capability if it really improves the internet usage on the pandora. Luckily internet charges in the Netherlands are very reasonable :D
the pandora has a Wifi chip...
and also the operators doesn't charge for Wifi well maybe if they own some pay and connect thingy but still.
are you thinking of a turbo 3g internet connection? if so the advantages is that you can surf where ever you are instead of searching for hotspots.

From what I've read, the bluetooth connection does not limit the throughput significantly. This will change as your available bandwidth increases.

filiph.ps said:
the pandora has a Wifi chip...
and also the operators doesn't charge for Wifi well maybe if they own some pay and connect thingy but still.
are you thinking of a turbo 3g internet connection? if so the advantages is that you can surf where ever you are instead of searching for hotspots.
I know, we have 3g internet here and i wanted to use my phone as a modem. That's why i want to know if wifi would be much faster to connect the panda, via the phone, to the internet than bluetooth.

It is much faster, but the 3G is more likely to be the bottleneck. I do think phones that act as wifi routers are more practical though.

i say we should wait until the pandora has a large enough userbase, then ask one of the major mobile internet companies to create a Pandora-specific service. maybe as a USB attachment, maybe over bluetooth.

will the Pandora come with GPRS, 3G etc drivers so you can bluetooth GPRS, 3G etc internet over to the Pandora from your phone?

As I said before, you don't need any drivers to use your bluetooth phone as a dail-up modem (providing it supports the bluetooth DUN profile). All you need is Bluez, PPP, and a 'chatscript' that has a little bit of carrier specific commands. So, to break this down, you need

on the phone side:
* bluetooth phone
* bluetooth DUN profile enabled
* a data plan for your phone

on the pandora side:
* bluez stack - should be included
* ppp ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Protocol_daemon ) - also should be included
* ppp chatscript, which I offered to post (for Verizon Wireless) along with instructions on how to make it work

Have you guys thought about the possiblity of using this linux driver that has been funded/created by/or in conjunction with Vodafone. Not sure if the source code and availble, and if could be used in an Arm linux environment.

https://forge.betavine.net/projects/vodafonemobilec/

I have used my T-mobile e220 on my eee and Acer Ferrari running Ubuntu 8.04 (using this Vodafone driver) and Mandrivia 2008 and PCLinuxOS (and .....sigh...... XP Pro).

Edit.....

The app is written on Python (good news) but needs GTK for the gui from end.

Edit 2.......

Here something else to have a look at:-.

1. Download the file
==> http://oozie.fm.interia.pl/pro/huawei-e220/

2. extract the downloaded file to the a directory

3. open up the directory where the file is extracted
and type "make"

4. follow the instructions

5. plug in your e220 modem and restart your computer and ofcourse log in again.

6. go to the terminal and type "sudo wvdialconf"
it will create a wvdial.conf and at the last section
you will see the modem will be reconized on /dev/ttyusb0 it indepent wich usbport you plugin.

7.if you know where its been plugin go to the kppp
click on the button "configure" and go to the modem tab and click on button "new" change by modem device where the modem is plugged in.

8. go to the modem tab again to check the modem is it working or not...

Good luck with a the above ....... found on the net. Hope it helps with improving an aready great UMPC.

last week i ordered a Sierra wireless 881u (USB 3G/HSDPA dongle). i hope i can get it to work on the pandora, but im not too confidant in that, as i hear its software is more than just drivers, i think it needs a background app to run it.

since i last posted on this thread in April, data prices have come down here in Canada. the other day i changed my service to the 6GB for $30/mo.

I didn't read through the whole topic, but I read that these sticks work fine on the Asus EEE PC. However, when I looked for a dataplan and I read the tiny text under it, all my dreams were ruined:
In germany, all providers for these mobile services (UMTS etc.) charge high prices for the service and most of the USB Adapters also need a special additional plan which is about 60€ a month! Now, thats not the only thing which kills it: In germany, none of the famous providers allows users to use: Chat / IM or VoIP applications over the internet without another - expensive - additional dataplan, other things which are limited or forbidden include: Streaming (Suprise... Additional dataplan for media access - selected media by provider) and a full connection to the server (I asked at a local shop, most have a 30s timeout set, after that a connection is killed - this means youtube etc. are usually not possible). Some of the providers also said that it is not allowed to play games over UMTS because the traffic would become too high.

impreziv: Just follow my instructions, and you should be ok. I can't say too much to the USB dongle, but I have been using dial-up through my phone for a year and a half, and the instructions that I had given work and should be pretty straightforward to follow. A quick search shows that your dongle is supported in Linux, although the module might need to be built against our kernel.

Back