The Pandora Information Index

The links in "Recent Posts from Project Developers" do not work anymore with the new forum software. I took the liberty of collecting the correct URLs:

Hardware / Business Developers
craigix
EvilDragon:
mfk
MWeston

People that should be added to the above list (imho):
DaveC

Software Developers
Cpasjuste
DJWillis
Firefox
notaz
Ryo
skeezix
Squidge
Svartalf
Tinnus
Vimacs
wesbrown18
zodttd

People that should be added to the above list (imho):
Pickle
Exophase

Forum Mods
Chip
Tobriand

Edit: Made the names clickable links

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Lafazar! I must say that the new "Recent Posts" format is FAR less convenient than the one in the old layout. It won't allow me to read the full post any more, just the 1st line.

Esn said:
Thank you, Lafazar! I must say that the new "Recent Posts" format is FAR less convenient than the one in the old layout. It won't allow me to read the full post any more, just the 1st line.

I wonder if there is something that could be done about that. I checked through all of the user settings that I could see and didn't find anything useful there. Also, could somebody update the first post with the new info? Be it Chip or another mod, or at least insert a link/note about the post with the updated info?

Is Pandora ever gonna undergo mass production or is it going to continue to be in released in batches. Im kinda confused regarding the batch release system. Apparently the second batch is shipping with 256mb of ram instead of 128 & a larger NAND? I want to order one, but I want to know if the second batch will have 256mb or RAM. If so ill order later on. I know 128mb is perfectly enough and there is still enough space left even when running ubuntu, but id rather have 256 than 128mb. I understand if someone flames me for this post haha, its just that i keep reading that Pandora hasnt been officially released & that all these batch releases are for testers or devs only. Im new obviously and I know how people rly hate that.
i apologize for being a bother.

I can't comment on batches, but just to let you know, *no* Pandoras are shipping with 128MB of RAM or the smaller NAND. ;) That change applies to the ~4000 unit first batch as well.

Painguy said:
Is Pandora ever gonna undergo mass production or is it going to continue to be in released in batches. Im kinda confused regarding the batch release system. Apparently the second batch is shipping with 256mb of ram instead of 128 & a larger NAND? I want to order one, but I want to know if the second batch will have 256mb or RAM. If so ill order later on. I know 128mb is perfectly enough and there is still enough space left even when running ubuntu, but id rather have 256 than 128mb. I understand if someone flames me for this post haha, its just that i keep reading that Pandora hasnt been officially released & that all these batch releases are for testers or devs only. Im new obviously and I know how people rly hate that.
i apologize for being a bother.
We've been told that all batches will be the same, give or take a few small changes for parts that may not be available anymore. The memory and nand will remain the same.
And they're unlikely to do any sort of mass production. They're not looking to sell millions, just many many thousand, so they do them in smaller batches. It would suck for them to have huge quantities leftover with no market.

I think the plan is to eventually hold stock of units. The project will go nowhere fast if they have to continually produce in batches with 6 months lead time.

I'd hope that once they have the pre-orders in for the second batch (or third, if finances dictate) they'll produce, say, 50% more units than were pre-orders for general sale.

I suspect that once the Pandora gets into the wild demand is going to seriously ramp up. While the target market is emulation buffs and hackers. The device as it stands is still a great mobile computing platform, and is spot-on as a linux system admin tool. It's the smallest fully functional computer out there with a keyboard (no matter how small), and it's openness is going to make it a target for many unique applications and hardware implementations.

alright thanks. so no 256 mb of ram? the main site says it has 256mb of ram? w/e lol im not complaining 128 is obviously enough anyway. thx

Painguy said:
alright thanks. so no 256 mb of ram? the main site says it has 256mb of ram? w/e lol im not complaining 128 is obviously enough anyway. thx
You misunderstood - ALL Pandoras have 256MB RAM. :)

Gruso said:
Painguy said:
You misunderstood - ALL Pandoras have 256MB RAM. :)

oh lol my bad. some first impression i made didnt i? lol

The ARM microprocessor sure seems to be nice, but with all the people had hoping they could run WINE/Windows etc on it, wouldn't it be better just to put a x86 processor into the Pandora itself? (Or is that too much for it to handle..)

Edit - Oh crap I necroposted.

Devin-O said:
The ARM microprocessor sure seems to be nice, but with all the people had hoping they could run WINE/Windows etc on it, wouldn't it be better just to put a x86 processor into the Pandora itself? (Or is that too much for it to handle..)

well... its stickied but still... i think we kinda got over the x86 vs ARM thing about 2 or so years ago.

Devin-O said:

x86 uses up a lot more power for not as many instructions. And I think you are either overestimating the number of people that want to run Windows or underestimating the power of ARM Linux and what is and will be available for it in the coming months.

Back