Release Brogue

Having this said, I just died at level 3 playing the seed from the WEcontest on my x86. <sigh>

Recorded a game played on the Pandora. You could try if it works. There still might occur some OOS-error somewhere.

I made it to level 18 and saw some new monsters I haven't seen yet.

I'm still learning stuff here and there. I always though that protect armor/weapon is temporary, but it's permanent. Must test scrolls more wise next time.

Another thing i learned is that it seems to work to use the wand of obstruction close to yourself to cancel burning. This takes a lot of time, but might save yourself from death.

Also I made some notes about the recording, but I ran out of time. So I stopped at level 11:

Notes:

At level 3 there was this place in SE with plants and a key. Usually this is a sign of a firetrap. Since I wanted to test a potion on an enemy anyway I chose a position near the plants (and the door) in case I come upon a potion of Incineration. And I did (though getting burned which I was aware of) , causing the plants to burn down.  By this I was able to take the key later without danger.

On Level 4 I first oversaw the lever at the wall for opening the treasure room.
Making it to the NW-corner took me quite some time. Maybe I didn't choose the right tactic. I wasn't very pleased with the treasures in the treasure-room (just like with the one on level 3). Chose the staff of protection in case I find a nice ally.

When ever you see me walking slower, then I am searching while walking.

Level 5: Inventory full so I started testing scrolls. Didn't really have something to kill the acid mound. So i tested a potion on it. Was a potion of descent, which was not that much help near the stairs.

Level 6: Luckily the acid mound didn't see me at the start. I should have used the captive goblin to kill the mound later, but the dagger worked as well. Switched to the acid-resitant armor while fighting it. The monkey kept be busy for too long.

Level 7: After spotting the Dar Blademaster, I knew that I need a better weapon, so i decided to use all 4 scrolls of enchanment on the broadsword. Showed out to be a pretty good weapon. Everything got much easier afterwards.  Noticed my armor has the mutually-rune (share damage with nearby). Though quite nice, I was concerned regarding allies and didn't wear it when ever I had a good ally.
 Inventory full again. Tested scrolls though I was aware that a "cause fear" will loose my ally. Wasn't sure if it will be permanent. Now I know it will.

Level 8: Saving the captive oger from the poison cloud just in time was a little fun. Loosing the goblin in another one less fun, but who cares. And loosing the oger a short time in a third cloud caused by myself almost tragic. ;)
  The room in the SE was fun too. "Next please!"

Level 9: The explosive bloat at the end was a bit tricky. Didn't really had anything to throw at it. The best idea I had was to throw an axe at it. Also the inv was full again and I was not sure what I shall take.

Level 10: A captive Salamander? That's new to me. By now I know that they are not easy to handle since they tend to lighten up plants. I wonder what happens if they run into swampgas or if they stay out of it. Still they are strong allies, though they got not that much HP.

Level 11: That ogre shaman is somewhat annoying. Sad that I didn't save my Salamander. But the Pixie was really fun to have as ally, too. Alas the playback slows down a lot having it as ally. You can speed it up by either pressing DpadUp several times or holding DpadRight, which skips the spells of the pixie. I used the later. However the controls seem to be buggy. At least pause/unpause did not work anymore in the end.

I'll stop here since I need to go offline.

Link to the recording: http://userpages.uni-koblenz.de/~bbrink/tmp/brogue_rec_level18broadsword.tar.gz

Last edited by a moderator:
tried to run the seed from last weekend contest ( 2304330776 ) on my build of brogue 1.7 for Nokia N900

The map looks different: here is mine

oppbp.png

Here is PC version:

46thweekendcontest.png

This seems to indicate some slight difference in the way different architectures handle the math for randomization. Perhaps there is some way to make this platform independent?

I can make source modifications if that could help debug this. Cheers!

The link to the 46th weekend screenshot does not work (for me).

Anyway: Yeah that's most likely the same floating-point-rounding-differences in the calculation on different platforms that I have been told about. The one that is also causing the OOS-errors in playbacks and savegames. As far as I understood this is about to be changed, or maybe at least planned to be changed.

I think it's the best if you head over to the official Brogue-forum if you do not want to wait for it. Another option is of course to try to find a fix for only the Pandora-version in order to get the same result as for the official release. Maybe that's what you were up to.

Ok Lomaxx thanks...

I have found a new bug when I exit Autoplay, I sometimes get weird keyboard input: I try to move one tile and it moves me, then immediately moves me back.

Then sometimes I get into a loop where the game maximizes then minimizes its' widow continuously. Have you seen that with 1.7? I am tempted to go back to 1.6

Is that in the Pandora-version or on your PC? I haven't seen this bug in any of the two, but I do not play the game that often on the Pandora lately and never use autoplay - unless I accidentically pressed Shift+a instead of Shift+< (for > on a German keyboard).

It is on linuxbochs brogue from git running on N900. I can't tall exactly what triggers the behavior yet.

Brogue 1.7.1 is out. I am trying to apply linuxbochs' changes to fit game into 800x480 but I created a segfault, possibly due to changes in IO.c. Please let us know if/when you get the new version patched linuxbochs.

I don't know how easy it is, but it would also be nice to decrease the darkened effect of the dungeon-parts that are not in your viewsight. It's very hard to see items if you are trying to review the dungeon before going down. Of course the effect should still be recognisible to determine between the area that you currently see and the rest.

A further step would be to change the colors of some characters to increase contrast. But that's not an easy task. The gap between making Brogue ugly and not uglier but easier to the eye is not that wide I guess.

Just a thought. Don't put too much effort into it.

I don't know how easy it is, but it would also be nice to decrease the darkened effect of the dungeon-parts that are not in your viewsight.
YES! I will try to find where this is coded.

EDIT: found it! I just doubled the values to the following

Globals.c:295:const color memoryColor = {50, 50, 100, 40,

40, 40, 0, false};

Would be nice if your viewing frustrum was not occluded by dense vegetation while levitating (actually, I'd just like the vegetation not to occlude your view full stop). Other than that, this is my favourite rogue-like so far on the Pandora. Oh, and if levels could be larger than the screen that would also be lovely - scrolling a la Nethack would be awesome with double-sized levels.

Maybe I should post these requests on the official forums :)

D.

^

Great suggestions Dunny.  I always think things are a bit small when playing.  But the smallness isn't stopping me. 

Brogue is a rather shiny roguelike.
I still getting segfaults on 1.7.1 after applying linuxbochs changes. Anyone else got success?

My mod to brighten the explored map is excellent though, really helps on small screens.

Would be nice if your viewing frustrum was not occluded by dense vegetation while levitating (actually, I'd just like the vegetation not to occlude your view full stop). Other than that, this is my favourite rogue-like so far on the Pandora. Oh, and if levels could be larger than the screen that would also be lovely - scrolling a la Nethack would be awesome with double-sized levels.

D.
I disagree on the vegetation. It is there to make you explore the room edges.

There is also a tiles version that compiles fine but needs a huge resolution screen. It should be possible to fit it in a small 800x480 screen by scrolling the map. That requires some coding and learning though...

D.
I disagree on the vegetation. It is there to make you explore the room edges.
I asked on the official forum - the suggestion that vegetation doesn't restrict your view while levitating seems to be have received well.

D.

I just updated this to 1.7.2.

Changelog:

New with v1.7.2:

• The download includes a “seed catalog” file that details which items may be found on the first five depths of seeds 1-1000 as an optional benefit for players who want to try certain items.
  • Cursed items will no longer appear in vaults.
  • Rare monsters on deeper depths will appear with mutations, which can affect the monster’s stats or abilities.
  • The food clock is significantly tighter.
  • Allies’ power progression is slightly slower.
  • Summoned allies reveal themselves to you telepathically, as do normal allies that have traveled with you for some time and monsters under the influence of a staff of entrancement.
  • At the “You die... --MORE--” prompt, pressing ‘i’ will reveal your inventory with all items fully identified.
  • An enemy’s status will display as “(Off balance)” if you will get two turns before the enemy’s next turn.
  • Added a new key room.
  • Poisonous melee attacks will stack, and poisonous monsters will not flee when you are poisoned.
  • Attempting to move while seized by a grappling monster that you can see (krakens, bog monsters) will not cause you to lose a turn.
  • Allies that don’t regenerate won’t flee at low health.
  • Staffs recharge with a slight degree of randomness so players will not be coerced into counting turns to derive the charge level of an unidentified staff.
  • Positive unidentified rings will function as +1 rings so players will not be coerced into spoiler-induced trickery to ascertain their precise enchantment level.
  • Teleportation will try to move the player at least a certain pathing distance from where she started.
  • Allies will more reliably flee from monsters when appropriate instead of casting spells, and monsters that maintain distance will more reliably flee from allies.
  • Increased the total number of lumenstones generated from 23 to 25.
  • Addressed an exploit known as stair-dancing by allowing monsters moving between depths to displace any monster or player already standing at the entrance to the destination staircase.
  • The player no longer takes 50% damage on depth 1.
  • Allies no longer continue to increase in power past depth 26.
  • Fixed certain subtle gameplay changes by synchronizing the player’s turn timing more closely to environment updates.
  • Fixed a bug that caused some charms’ recharge durations and enchantment profile to be incorrect (resulting in an overly powerful charm of recharging).
  • Fixed a bug that caused protection status on the player to wear off too slowly.
  • Fixed a bug that caused staffs recharged by a scroll or charm of recharging to take a long time to recover subsequent charges.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the inventory display to occasionally misalign the detect magic glyphs.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause certain bridges to terminate in water.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed the player to blink onto the staircase tile.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented guards of captive monsters from approaching their captive to attack it.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed fire-immune allies to cast firebolts from within explosive gas.
  • Fixed several bugs related to the “call item” command.
  • Fixed a bug that caused flying monsters to avoid poisonous lichen in some contexts, even though it cannot harm them.

New with v1.7.1:

• Certain terrain features (locked doors, stairs, altars, etc.) are noted in the sidebar, and like monsters and items, can be selected from the sidebar by mouse or with the tab key for pathfinding and targeting.
  • The dungeon generation code has been rewritten from scratch, and the dungeon is generated with several new basic room shapes.
  • The lighting state of the player’s location (lit/unlit) is displayed at the top of the side bar.
  • New armor runic: the Armor of Respiration, which renders you immune to harmful gases.
  • New weapon runic: the Weapon of Force, which flings enemies backward and damages them if they hit something along the way, in proportion to the distance that they traveled.
  • New terrain feature: bloodwort plants, which grow seed pods that release healing gas when struck.
  • The rapier deals slightly more damage, requires 15 strength, and will perform a triple-damage never-miss lunge attack if you are one space away from an enemy and step directly toward it. Runic effects on rapiers are also more likely to trigger.
  • Brief flashes of light are displayed to indicate discovered secrets and other events.
  • The deepest dungeon depth is now 40 instead of 100, and it contains a reward for players skillful and insane enough to reach it.
  • Groups of monsters will now swarm their enemies more intelligently.
  • Plate armor now grants a base armor value of 11, down from 12.
  • Natural crystal formations reflect magical bolts.
  • Removed scrolls and charms of fear.
  • A type of item will automatically become identified if it is the last type of that item category not to be identified.
  • All item types in a vault will auto-identify as soon as you enter the vault, obviating the need to sequentially pick up and drop each such item.
  • When monkeys steal darts or other stackable weapons, they will steal only half of the stack at a time as long as you have more than three.
  • Charms are less common.
  • Swamp gas will explode only if it’s completely surrounded by swamp gas, fire or terrain that obstructs gas. Otherwise it just burns.
  • Weapons of multiplicity can summon up to 7 images and armor of multiplicity can summon up to 5, in each case based on their enchantment level, up from a maximum of 3.
  • Diagonal movement is permitted around all terrain except for walls and obstruction crystals. In other words, you can now step diagonally around statues, caged altars, wooden barricades, etc.
  • Vaults are no longer generated with destructible corners, which previously allowed a player with tunneling/shattering and blinking to rob vaults without unlocking them.
  • Tossing an item into lava will result in a one-cell gout of flame, which can ignite flammable gas clouds.
  • Items carried by monsters are now always identified in the monster details display.
  • Attempting to move while confused and next to lava will prompt the player for confirmation, as will attempting to drink a potion that is known to be bad.
  • Saved games load about twice as quickly.
  • Allies and other monsters are less likely to clip through walls in a variety of contexts, including upon summoning and when moving between depths.
  • Enemy monsters are again willing to cast offensive spells at allies that have learned reflection.
  • Wands of plenty are now generated with 1-2 charges, like wands of domination, instead of 2-4 charges.
  • Polymorph will no longer generate liches or phoenixes, to avoid odd outcomes with phylacteries and phoenix eggs.
  • Phoenix eggs have twice as much health, and phoenixes do more damage.
  • Negation will clear the “reflects magic” status from monsters.
  • Fixed several potential causes of out-of-sync errors.
  • Fixed a few bugs related to vault generation edge cases.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause the player's armor value to display as negative, even though it cannot go below zero.
  • Fixed a bug that could mess up dart/javelin quantities.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause memory corruption when items that had been ‘c’alled long names auto-identified.
  • Fixed a bug that allowed you to spend a scroll of identify on a charm.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the duration of entrancement to be shorter than it should be.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause the upward stairs on depth N to become discovered (and, potentially, could cause recordings or saved games to go out of sync) if you took the downward stairs to depth N+1 and then back up to N.
  • Fixed a bug that caused weakened monsters to hit more accurately instead of less accurately (though their damage output and defense were correctly lowered).
  • Fixed a bug that could cause high-level charms of protection to provide too much shielding and potentially destabilize the game, and rebalanced the charm of protection to offer more benefit at lower enchantment levels.
  • Fixed a bug that caused monsters to wander back and forth repeatedly (by rewriting the wandering code from scratch).
  • Changed the open source license under which Brogue is distributed to AGPLv3.

I've tried playing again a couple times, but I wasn't even motivated to play until death. :(

I guess I lost the charm of the game.

There is a feature I'd think would be mildly amusing.

Wuss mode:

Your character comes back from game to game. Either just with stats kept, or with the whole inventory that you had at death.

Basically it's a game mode where you eventually will reach the goal and it becomes more of a matter of how fast you get there.

Back