Build Quality, Gp2x Vs. Gp32

Which do you think has a higher build quality?

• GP32

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GP2X

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Website
rememberthe8bit.blogspot.com
Unfortunately, I wasn't around when the GP32 was in it's prime, but now I hear about the GP2X's faults quite often. There are unresponsive joysticks, screens with interference, BOB problems, broken power switches, bad battery terminals, and all that other stuff. I was wondering, was the GP32 as bad/better/worse in terms of build quality?

Overall I'll say that the GP32 had a better build quality, but there are some things that the GP2X does better: shoulder buttons, screen protection, and case design (although the GP32 case is made out of sturdier plastic).

Overall though I should not be one to complain, because in the same smount of time I had the GP2X, the GP32's R-shoulder and A-button became slightly unresponsive, while the GP2X is still holding well.

sam fisher said:
Alex, was it a second hand GP32?
No, it was a new Blu+. The signs of wear started to show just under one year after though. It's no mystery that the GP32 has shoddy shoulder buttons though :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I own both, and I'd have to say that my GP32 FLU had more problems. My shoulder buttons are a bit unresponsive, there is just a sheet metal spring to press the switch and I had to bend it back slightly to get them to activate again. Also the click-stick broke. When you open the joystick up, it has a 4 direction cross that presses the switches, one of these broke, but I was successful at reglueing(sp?) The battery cover was very loose(internally), so I put a sliver of foam inside between the batteries and the lid to fill in the space. This all started after 2 or so years with it.

I haven't had a single problem with my MKI, but it was bought in Dec/05 so it is only what... 1 1/2 years old? so time will tell.

Reap

Afterthought: With the GP32, I'm not counting FLU DUST, as that really is an aftermarket MOD not intended originally. And I actually think the build quality is pretty even between the two. Both have had their problems. I think the GP2X scares people b/c it has a certain brickability factor... that and the First Editions that rolled of the assembly line were a bit dodgy with the QC.

I guess the question remains, has gph fixed a lot of the problems with the gp2x's and what inherent problems remain with it, in comparison to the last gp32's that were made.

I recently took delivery of my 2x and I must say, it feels very cheap. Im left with the question, what will break first? :(

~Fox

Fox_ said:
I guess the question remains, has gph fixed a lot of the problems with the gp2x's and what inherent problems remain with it, in comparison to the last gp32's that were made.

I recently took delivery of my 2x and I must say, it feels very cheap. Im left with the question, what will break first? :(

~Fox

Hmmm... I don't think I would ever characterize either handheld as "feels very cheap". They all seem well made, I mean plastic is plastic. If anything breaks first on the 2X, it will probably be the headphone jack or joystick. Headphone jack might be dependent on how old/version of your 2x.

Just enjoy it for what it is, nothing lasts forever. Besides, it's the software that makes the GP2X stand out, not the hardware :)

Overall, my opinion is that the GP32 has crappy build quality compared to the MK2. The buttons and stick went to crap really quick, and I had to open it up every other week to fix them. That eventually led to its demise when I accidentally broke the LCD trying to fix the B button.

The MK2 lcd is better, too. Higher contrast and no stuck pixels. The GP32 had a better battery slot though. Why the hell didn't they just use springs on the '2X?

sam fisher said:
I recently dropped my famously indestructable FLU again two days ago lol.
My MK2 F100 got away from me in HP's tile entry way falling from almost four feet in the air, bounced about 4 inches on the first hop and clattered across the room, my heart sunk, picked it up turned it on and... perfect not even a scratch. Found the sd card under a couch and popped it back in no problem. Tougher than they look or I'm one of the luckier bastards alive.

I am more comfortable with my 32 BLU, although neither it nor the 2x has ever fallen from me before, but my 32 traveled with me every time I traveled since I got it, while the 2x barely left home since it got in, the plastic of the 2x"feels" fragile, but many people say that it has proven to be tougher than it looks, hope I never test that, I love both (but I hate the glossy black color of the 2x, I hope no one call that racism :p )

The GP32s were hardy machines. Although, I have heard that they aren't scream-proof...

Personally i don't know that much about the gp32 so i can't comment on it, but the gp2x build i CRAP !
Take a little peek inside it is very delicate and a couple of bashes and hard gaming sessions the thing will probably fall into little chunks !!!

But hey, its a great piece of kit that has gave me lots of fun ! so maybe we shouldn't care that much ...

My gp32 seems sturdier than my gp2x. The solder joints came loose on the battery compartment of gp2x, the stick well we all know about the stick, the plastic seems weaker to me, and it just seems like there are a lot of faults. The only problem I ever had with my gp32 was one shoulder button got messed up but that is due to a friend of mine dropping it. Don't get me wrong I love both of them but I just feel like the gp32 was a little more rugged and durable.

GP2X is better in my opinion. I recall seeing a lot more broken GP32s (particularly the shoulder buttons and stick) than I have GP2X. And personally, my GP2X has had no issues, while my GP32 had a faulty trigger that I had to fix.

sam fisher said:
im surprised your batteries didn't fly out!
They were a little loose when new to the point of rebooting if I shook it so I bent the tabs right after I bought it and they've been a real tight fit ever since. What really scared the hell out of me was not realizing the sd card was missing for a few moments.

Back