Building My Own Pandora

Jonttu

Still Fresh
Ive bought several BIY/DIY kits over the years. Is there any way I could possibly receive a Pandora early by choosing to build it myself? I of course would take full responsibility for any failed procedure resulting in a board brickage. I just find it more satisfying to use things that I myself have built. I posted this here, because I believe this would help the team cut down a day or two on construction. How many others are interested in building their own Pandora? (given it would have no warranty, and no guarantee that all the parts would be adequate)

I'm sure the potential hassle would overweight the benefit. Four people can build 100 a day, so building and testing is not the bottleneck. Think about it this way, someone would have to sort out orderers who want to have a DIY kit, package the parts safely, etc. So it might take more time to make those kits available than building them at the hall.

The build process is far more complex than you might imagine, I just can't see people being able to build it on a first go and get it right.

So for that reason we can't let it happen. Just one wrong move in the process could kill the Pandora. It's the same reason that companies in the 80's soon stopped selling computers in kit form.

I believe the final straw for Acorn (who became ARM) was when someone tried to GLUE a kit together rather than solder it.

Ive done some wild repairing before, I've done everywhere from soldering a Honda air-conditioning unit with broken leads to replacing the cpu and ram on my ux380n -soc (wow what a pain). I don't imagine there would be anything I couldn't handle. I could wait til everyone has gotten their Pandoras so something like shipping/packing could be more carefully tended to. I just would really like the challenge, there's always fun in the risk of breaking the device. I could pay extra for the inconvenience.

^ Here is a test question: How many turns does the LCD ribbon need to have inside the hinge? :p

Jonttu said:
Ive bought several BIY/DIY kits over the years. Is there any way I could possibly receive a Pandora early by choosing to build it myself? I of course would take full responsibility for any failed procedure resulting in a board brickage. I just find it more satisfying to use things that I myself have built. I posted this here, because I believe this would help the team cut down a day or two on construction. How many others are interested in building their own Pandora? (given it would have no warranty, and no guarantee that all the parts would be adequate)

Well why not opt for a one nubber. You may even get one with two nubs working.

Then when they start selling nubs, you can solder one in place (if actually one turns out to be fauly)

:p God I should have been twins, such intelligence limited to one person just defies belief :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I will need a physical model to accurately answer this question. If you were so kind as to send me one, I would gladly tell you. :p

Jonttu said:
I believe I will need a physical model to accurately answer this question. If you were so kind as to send me one, I would gladly tell you. :p

If you get the turns wrong it will break the cable. If you even handle it wrong it will break the cable. If you turn it too tight... etc. :)

craigix said:
If you get the turns wrong it will break the cable. If you even handle it wrong it will break the cable. If you turn it too tight... etc. :)

I would measure the fold distance to the centerpoint within an micrometer of perfection, something I could spend an hour alone on with my level of OCD and perfectionism.

Various members of OPT have said they'd like to sell all the parts separately, either for modding or home repair, but in theory you could just buy them all piecewise and build it up yourself. Won't get it to you any sooner, in fact I doubt they'll do that until after the second batch has shipped, but it'll give you the challenge you're looking for.

WizardStan said:
Various members of OPT have said they'd like to sell all the parts separately, either for modding or home repair, but in theory you could just buy them all piecewise and build it up yourself. Won't get it to you any sooner, in fact I doubt they'll do that until after the second batch has shipped, but it'll give you the challenge you're looking for.

Really? Where would you buy these parts? This sounds like a lot of fun (think DF fun). I would have a blast integrating various computer components into stuff.

craigix said:

Rory Breaker said:
If you hold back anything, I'll kill you. If you bend the truth, or I think you're bending the truth, I'll kill you. If you forget anything, I'll kill you. In fact, you're gonna have to work very hard to stay alive, Nick. Now, do you understand everything I've said? Because if you don't, I'll kill you!

XxionxX said:
Really? Where would you buy these parts? This sounds like a lot of fun (think DF fun). I would have a blast integrating various computer components into stuff.
I would imagine you'd buy them from the stores you can buy the Pandora from, namely GBAX and whatever ED's and Fatih's stores are called.
I don't expect them to start selling parts for a while though.

WizardStan said:
XxionxX said:
I would imagine you'd buy them from the stores you can buy the Pandora from, namely GBAX and whatever ED's and Fatih's stores are called.
I don't expect them to start selling parts for a while though.

aww :(

craigix said:
Jonttu said:

:ph34r:
As long as it doesn't break after it is mounted inside the hinge, I gues we don't have to worry. ^^ But if this cable really is that sensitive, I suggest to search for an more sturdy/rugged cable.
I guess in it's lifetime, the hinge and the cable inside will be moved alot so I think it is the most sensitive part of the entire Pandora.

I was blissfully ignorant of the fragility of the Pandora insides until now...

Pandora, Sausage, and the Law. If you like it, don't inquire too much in to how it's made.

XxionxX said:
I would have a blast integrating various computer components into stuff.

Good luck finding space!

Back