Built For Hacking Is It?

scarath

I am sorry if this has been covered before but its not in the Wiki.

My question to the designers is: Will the case* be easily openable?

*(case around the board & screen, etc not the clam shell)

I have read that the Openmoko phone (another opensource bit of tech) is designed to be easily opened for hacking and i was wondering if this would be the case with the Pandora?

I dont mean that it should just fall open of course but maybe there should be a catches (in addition to the screws which will no doubt hold the case in place) so that when your hacking/testing you can keep popping it open without having to mess with screws all the time.

I also imagin the screws will be standard and not stupidly headed like nintendo ones?

@c0nsum3r said:
Anyone know the difference between the ARM 8 and the ARM 9?
The Pandora is using the ARM Cortex-A8 processor. That's not the same as ARM8. The Cortex-A8 is the successor of ARM11 which is several generations ahead of ARM8 and ARM9 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
unless of course he means ARMv8 and ARMv9.

Pandora uses ARMv8.
Isn't the Cortex family all ARMv7?

Lurkio said:
Eolair said:
Isn't the Cortex family all ARMv7?
Most of them are, except for the Cortex-M1 which is ARMv6.

...Yes, I knew that. I was saying that in regards to @c0nsum3r original question... And the point I was trying to make is that there is no ARMv8 or ARMv9. The highest current architecture version is ARMv7, which is what we will have in the Pandora.

Eolair said:
...Yes, I knew that. I was saying that in regards to @c0nsum3r original question... And the point I was trying to make is that there is no ARMv8 or ARMv9. The highest current architecture version is ARMv7, which is what we will have in the Pandora.
Oops, yeah, my bad :blush:

That's awesome to know I was actually wondering that myself and that makes sense.

Back