Fix Bowing Lcd Bezel

mvickers03

Hi all, I just finished fixing my LCD bezel, sorry no pictures as I'm at work and had to finish up as quick as possible.

OK then all I needed was a small Phillips screwdriver, a small flat screw driver and a Stanley blade. Use the blade to carefully remove the bottom two rubber pads covering the screws (be careful not to handle too much or they loose there sticky) then remove the bottom two screws.

Next we gently insert the flat screwdriver into the right hand side of the bowing bezel and very gently pry away from screen, while you are applying pressure use the blade and insert it into were the lid and bezel meet (on the right hand side) and poke it a little and the the clips should pop open.

Bear in mind that the bezel only opens on the right hand side, the left side has plastic that goes into the lower half of the Pandora but there is more than enough room.

Then I used my flat screw driver and pushed down were you can see copper coloured tape inside (I think it was in the way of a clip inside the case) then I popped the bezel back into place and applied a lot of pressure to the middle and the right of the bezel (while screws are still out) then when I was happy with the bezel I put the screws back in but loose (not too loose but just at the point they start to bite and pull the plastics together) and Put my rubbers back on. The Pandora has been running for a couple of hours now and the bezel is still nice and flush and hasn't popped itself back out.

Happy day's my Pandora is now Perfect! :D

Be sure to remove the battery first if you are going to attempt this. Bad things happen to people who open electronics with battery's still connected :lol:

:D
True hackers fix everything! Awesome work! I'll add it to the Tweaks Thread soon, back to soccer first ;)

I'd rather send mine in to the pandora team to get the bezel fixed (it pops out a bit worse now, double sided tape lost its stickynes?

i got a one nubber, but afaik we still got warranty, just not the broken nub (or is it both nubs?)

ED did offer that it was very easy to break the LCD. I'm guessing he speaks from experience - so take great care!

i havent attempted it, but would it not be possible to squeeze some superglue down the gap and hold it until it bonds?

Pleng said:
i havent attempted it, but would it not be possible to squeeze some superglue down the gap and hold it until it bonds?

yeah I thought about that too. I have some double sided tape which is supposed to be as strong as superglue, think it's loctite or something, I might try that and see if it does a better job then the sticky tape thats in there at the moment.

Deffo gonna fix it myself. So long as I'm careful it should be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
sparkymark said:
Pleng said:

yeah I thought about that too. I have some double sided tape which is supposed to be as strong as superglue, think it's loctite or something, I might try that and see if it does a better job then the sticky tape thats in there at the moment.

Deffo gonna fix it myself. So long as I'm careful it should be ok.

My issue with this is my experience with superglue is that it never goes where it should be and I'd be afraid to put a glob on the screen.

Superglue?! :blink:
Don't do it. It might turn your Pandora into a brick. Funny, when you glue the bezel to the surface of the screen and break the touchscreen, or when you glue the ribbon to the case so that it breaks after a few open and close cycles ;)

some official statement form the OP team if this goes under warranty or not would be nice.

I'd send it to them for shipping and py the shipping if it did.
To keep down costs

If it's caused by the copper tape getting in the way of a clip then it shouldn't be happening at all, no?

It only happened on the first units, they check that in QC now, it IS covered under warranty if you want to send it back for something so trivial :lol:

mvickers03 said:
It only happened on the first units, they check that in QC now, it IS covered under warranty if you want to send it back for something so trivial :lol:

Really, if you think of it only comsetically, then yes, trivial

But all sorts of dust could get in there
a small piece of metal from somewhere = DOOM

common? no, but plausible

Yeah I thoroughly agree. Hence my urge to operate. It seemed Trivial (to send back) to me as it was something I knew would be easy to fix. So yeah to me it was trivial ;)

mvickers03 said:
Yeah I thoroughly agree. Hence my urge to operate. It seemed Trivial (to send back) to me as it was something I knew would be easy to fix. So yeah to me it was trivial ;)

id still rather send it in to fix it, and keep my warranty :3

^ Yeah I should have really but I don't like being beat by small things like this. only took 5 minutes.

Mali did you link this post anywhere my friend. Just curious :)

I'm very tempted at giving this a try. I'm gonna wait until my GoPro HD video camera arrives. I had one, returned it to REI because I got a ProDeal. Saw this today & realized I need to use that ProDeal and buy another at %40 off retail.

http://pearljam.com/oceans/

Enjoy, I feel its relevant, no matter how off topic it is.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Back