Bezel Issue

aliking

I'm feeling lucky that I seem to have avoided any of the other hardware faults that I've seen posted on the boards (not surprised, just feeling lucky), but I do have the 'Bezel Issue' - the bottom bezel on my screen is bowed out.

Now it's not a huge deal, but it would be nicer if it didn't do that. Has anyone attempted/succeeded in fixing it?

It looks to me like the problem is that screen-surround plastic is too wide, so it's bending slightly. I'm assuming that would be because of unexpected thickness caused by the paint. So if that holds true, a fix would be to remove that front screen-surround, shave a very little bit off each side and put it back.

Does anyone have any deeper knowledge that coudl confirm or refute my assumptions? Because, you know, the thing about ass and umptions...

a

aliking said:
I'm feeling lucky that I seem to have avoided any of the other hardware faults that I've seen posted on the boards (not surprised, just feeling lucky), but I do have the 'Bezel Issue' - the bottom bezel on my screen is bowed out.

Got it here too... there seems to be some glue there to hold it down, but not really doing a good job of it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
blindniet_flachkopf.gif

j/k

Someone would have to be the guinea pig and disassemble the lid to check the cause.

I fixed mine partially. Its not perfect but its 100% better than what it was when I got it.

I noticed the glue was coming a loose when I first got it and because of the reviews I was prepared to deal with it. It didn't bother me much but what I did was took 2 pieces of tissue, wadded them up and placed them on both sides (front of the display and on the back) and then took a vice grip (a long nose one) and jimmied it into a position that didn't put too much pressure on it but enough. I let this sit for the first 6 or so hours while I let the pandora charge before I played withed it. It is still coming a bit undone but it looks a lot better than it did previously (I could see the inner LCD workings)
eAj24N9b-JD_EpATN03YAhksu8kn86F8McN3VaES-vlyLL7EQ18TDwHlCxyTjq6YZi6-6aO01AZkU0_Htj9pxNsNCJqIjnjxH7ar2Is__485iu9jkHU9nVzRBPwzXZoiVOj06_ZByE0HIHPXWCrE5HmNiH3VC_OF2m1PyGz_VIlDH97esdQ

Is a pic of the tool I used (Not the exact one, but one like this with the long tips so you can lay it to the sie of the screen)

Just make sure you adjust the grip accordingly, nothing strong at all, just enough to push it together some. I think a majority of the problem comes from the case being a bit bowed for what reason I do not know, but it is preventing the gap from being perfect.

Snow-Okami said:
I fixed mine partially. Its not perfect but its 100% better than what it was when I got it.
Brain hurts

If there were instructions available on how to remove the bezel safely, I'd have a crack at it (and hopefully no crack in my LCD...).

Disassembly is not an easy task, apparently

(lid disassembly)
MWeston said:
mvickers03 said:
It's just double sided Adhesive to make the bezel sit flush with the bottom of the screen. Many laptop manufacturers do this, including HP. unless there is more glue I didn't see
No, that's it. There's no extra glue. The speakers have an adhesive ring around the edge to keep them in the lid front when putting it together too.

The real problem is that the lid front was designed with a bazillion clips that hold it into the back and we can't pull it apart without snapping it to pieces or shattering the glass of the LCD. We should consider getting rid of those clips in the mold at a later date. That would make it more serviceable for everyone.
EvilDragon said:
Pleng said:
Anyway after a couple of days of wearing in the dpad appears to be working just fine!

A lot of DPads and sticks are a bit stiff at the beginning. :)

About opening the lid: It certainly is possible. I opened a few lids as I needed to replace a broken speaker.
It is NOT RECOMMENDED THOUGH! You can easily scratch or break the case or - even worse - break the LCD.

Also, there is nothing in there except for the speakers, the LCD and the WiFi antenna. And there certainly is no space for anything else :)

Also interesting:

EvilDragon said:
Hmm, I just checked a few cases here and it's definately only on few units.
That picture is one of the worst cases I've seen, to be honest.

Might be that some of the copper tape we need for CE compliance is doing that - but we can certainly prevent that in assembly by simply making sure the tape is not crushed but properly in there.

I just checked on the few units we have here, it was only visible on one unit and pressing it together a bit fixed it.

But we'll make sure we check for that thing before we ship it. Definately no problem in the case design, though :)
And it won't render your Pandora unusable.
EvilDragon said:
[...]Hmm, I can see that LCD bezel on your picture (which is weird, as it is certainly glued there), but it looks way worse on the picture than in real life... I guess that's related to that stupid copper tape we need to apply because of CE.
We need to think about that...

^Interesting stuffs. I do feel that just opening the top part up and making sure the bezel is perfectly aligned might solve the problem, but it seems like it's not worth the risk.

I was thinking that the lid might be a decent place to try to put a 3g stick, sacrificing one of the speakers, but it looks like that is really not possible.

Back