Pandora Owners: Any Other Hardware Issues?

EvilDragon said:
How often do you open and close it?
3 or 4 times a day, maybe. It was probably opened and closed 60-80 times when the purple tint started, and has since been opened and closed a couple hundred more without getting much worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm sorry....

I never meant to cause you any sorrow
I never meant to cause you any pain
I only wanted one time to see you working
I only wanted to see you without that purple stain

Purple stain, purple stain
I only wanted to see you playing without that purple stain

I never wanted you to be any old handheld
I only wanted to be some kind of mini pc, hey
Pandy I could never trade you for another
It's such a shame you're afflicted with the purple stain.

September 27th I sent my Pandora to the UK for a new LCD and a repair to my A button which was wonky and stuck from time to time.

It came back today after being held up by customs in both the UK and US, but the unit was not opened as a 2nd security seal was placed on the box by the little people at Village Hall, aka Pandora Land. They forgot to put in the four screws around the LCD, but I'm not bummed about that because I got a new case that is pretty fricking amazing, my shoulder buttons are now SOLID, the paint job has improved (around the logo on the outside is most noticeable and gone except for a slight box background that is almost like a shadow of the symbol). I'm super impressed with what came back to me compared to the #14 that left last month.

Thanks a lot Open Pandora Team, things are really looking up!

Now can someone send me some screws?

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Mjlink said:
They forgot to put in the four screws around the LCD, but I'm not bummed about that

Well allow me to be bummed on your behalf. There are too many stories like this going around and there is absolutely NO reason for something like this to happen. I'd hazard a guess that the guy that was responsible for this is the same guy who dropped tobacco leaves in my unit, and that there's something preventing this chap from being able to perform his tasks properly.

It implies that little to no quality control is taking place even this late in the day, and generally, it pretty much stinks.

If so many screws can be 'forgotten' when there's only a handful of units to go out, imagine what could happen when there's a few thousand to do.

How about a little tray with the full number of screws required for the job at hand. Any left over and they know to look for empty holes.

Asmo said:
If so many screws can be 'forgotten' when there's only a handful of units to go out, imagine what could happen when there's a few thousand to do.

How about a little tray with the full number of screws required for the job at hand. Any left over and they know to look for empty holes.
I don't feel it is that big of an issue because these screws and plugs are just ornamental. Nothing is stopping my Pandora from working properly or being playable. It is a HUGE improvement over the first build and I really feel like it was a minor cosmetic mistake. I AM not complaining and find it almost amusing. Tobacco in a unit, if that true, well, tobacco should be illegal and pot should be legal. If there was some UK Cheese cannabis in my unit, I would understand why it got stopped at Customs in the UK and the US, but they must have thought it was THE BOMB because it IS! Pandora is the BOMB! Sorry, just SO happy with this build compared to what #14 was a month ago.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, hashish could be the culprit mixed in with that tobacco. Smoke it straight.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Well, I'm glad to say I'm finally reacquainted with my Pandora. The unit I got back is fairly solid piece of kit, the D-pad works, the gaming buttons work, the nubs work, the WIFI works. The case is not cracked. All in all, its a delight to use!

The only thing that is not working is the R shoulder button, which is a bit wobbly and doesn't click unless perfectly straight.

quartercast said:
The only thing that is not working is the R shoulder button, which is a bit wobbly and doesn't click unless perfectly straight.

Well, you still got one of the units with the painted and drilled shoulder buttons, so that should also be fixed in future units.

Pheeew... getting better, never imagined it's that hard doing something like that properly.

Last edited:
Awesome work ED & team, awesome work.

EvilDragon said:
Well, you still got one of the units with the painted and drilled shoulder buttons, so that should also be fixed in future units.

If I wanted to fix this, can I get away with ordering a new pair of shoulder buttons and installing those?

quartercast said:
Awesome work ED & team, awesome work.

EvilDragon said:

If I wanted to fix this, can I get away with ordering a new pair of shoulder buttons and installing those?

Should work, but you could also try to fix it yourself with the buttons you have.

Carefully unscrew the back (watch your warranty), use some very thin tape and put it around the peg where the L/R buttons sit.
The shouldn't wobble around anymore. If the drill isn't too far off, they should now work properly.

If not, you'd need to cut a bit from the L/R buttons (or put some tape in a specific area), I can it more deeply if you want, but maybe the thin tape works right out of the box.

Last edited:
Back