Video Capture Of Prototype Multitasking Pandora Ui

cosurgi said:
wesbrown18 said:
Dual Intel cores with 2GB of RAM and 500GB disk, running Ubuntu. This really doesn't matter for UI development, if you have the right sized resolution. I do have a Beagle Board and a Pandora dev board. Everything that I've built has compiled across cleanly to Angstrom on both platforms.
Are you using qemu-arm with 800x480 display configured. Or is that "vnc4server :1 -depth 24 -geometry 800x480" (running on x86), or maybe you are using something else?

Then xvidcap on top of that to record a video.

That's a full out Xserver configured via xrandr to closely match the Pandora resolution on a test account. :)

So, I set up an .xsession on the test account with:
xrandr --size 720x450
matchbox-window-manager -use_titlebar no &
./xvidcap-script &
cd ./src/gmenu2x/pandora
./gmenupandora

And poof!

But Matchbox doesn't run on framebuffer, or does it? I thought gmenu (simple mode) was intended to run on framebuffer and X11 was only for desktop enviroments, but I can be wrong, there is not much information about it.

This is still under discussion, but the feeling and consensus seems to be that with the engineering resources we have on hand, 'minimal' mode will be a stripped down environment like what I showed you. It's the only easy way to get the 'multitasking' that people seem to want from their Pandora.

gmenu is still SDL however, and -will- work on a framebuffer via that, no problem. We will probably add a 'framebuffer only' mode later; sooner, if it adds value above the minimal mode under Kdrive as is, then we'll add it. The framebuffer mode will not have multitasking, however, without considerable work.

You'd be surprised at how little impact Kdrive and SDL to X11 has on a handheld like the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is that number beside what appears to be the volume control at the side?

appears to be 200mhz (to me anyway)...but it is REALLY fuzzy :)

cb88 said:
what is that number beside what appears to be the volume control at the side?

appears to be 200mhz (to me anyway)...but it is REALLY fuzzy :)
Yes. gpmenu thinks it's clocking to 200mhz. Like I've said, this is a prototype, and there are some pandora-specific changes that need to be made. :)

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense though to lower it a ton to save power? Something tells me if it needs 600 mhz to run then we have a big problem.

devhace said:
Wouldn't it make a lot more sense though to lower it a ton to save power? Something tells me if it needs 600 mhz to run then we have a big problem.
Not in a multitasking OS.

devhace said:

Obviously the menu doesn't need 600mhz. That's just the default. They're still working out the best way to control clock speed in a multitasking environment.

Underclocking is not nearly as vital for saving battery life as you might think. The A8 is a very smart little chip. It basically puts the CPU to sleep between instructions, so the power used by a light progam (like gmenu) is about the same at high speed as it is at low speed. This assumes that the program isn't doing something stupid like putting the processor into some sort of loop while it waits for something to do. It would be interesting if one of the devs could devise a test for this - making a resource light program and running it @ say 200mhz and then @ 600mhz and seeing how much juice you're really saving in low speed mode. Any takers?

Good idea, Chip. I'm not one of the official devs, but I would be interested to see how smart the underlying ARM processor is on this front.

wesbrown18 said:
xrandr --size 720x450
matchbox-window-manager -use_titlebar no &
./xvidcap-script &
cd ./src/gmenu2x/pandora
./gmenupandora

thanks, that's what I wanted to know :)

Back