Pandora Owners: Any Other Hardware Issues?

CPS said:
EvilDragon said:
hobbyman II said:
the crackling means your internal volume setting is too high, you can turn the volume all the way up to 11 in Linux :ph34r: , but the electronics usually protest in this way, change it to about 80% of max, should stop the crackling (this is the internal bus sound out setting, not your speaker setting, tho that might work too), according to EDs post there is no wizard for that yet

Oh, yeah, right, might be an internal overdrive. Then you simply need to open the Volume Mixer in XFCE4 and turn it down :)

Thanks for all the info everyone. This community is great and the Pandora is fantastic :D

I still have crackling sound. It's definitely a software issue as it doesn't effect everything and sometimes sorts itself out.

Alsa mixer settings: Master is set to around 60% and the input boost is set to 0%

What should the .asoundrc settings be? I've not edited them yet as I don't want to make it worse.

> pcm.dmixed {
> type dmix
> ipc_key 1234
> slave {
> pcm "hw:0"
> buffer_size 8192
> period_size 2048
> #periods 128
> period_time 0
> buffer_time 0
> rate 44100

Well, you could increase the buffer size and / or period size (though buffer size should be more helpful).
Maybe try with 12288 or something like that as buffer size.

Don't worry, you can't break anything here - when the sound doesn't work, restore it to its old values and that fixes it. You can't break your OS.

Also, when you change the value, you need to restart the program you test the sound with (no need to restart the whole system).
So if you have this problem with Exaile, for example, restart Exaile.

Some programs like MPlayer allow their own buffer size settings in the preferences. If that's the case, use them.

Last edited:
My Pandora has the screen bezel issue where the case comes away from the screen slightly at the bottom centre of the screen. I can push it back but it doesn't stay stuck for long before it starts to come away again. At the moment it is slight, but I worry it is going to get worse.

Is there anything I can do about this myself, rather than sending the unit back?

Shirohagen said:
My Pandora has the screen bezel issue where the case comes away from the screen slightly at the bottom centre of the screen. I can push it back but it doesn't stay stuck for long before it starts to come away again. At the moment it is slight, but I worry it is going to get worse.

Is there anything I can do about this myself, rather than sending the unit back?
Some good Double sided mounting tape
its not normal tape, it more as sort of yellow cross hatch on it (dont know the exact name)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shirohagen said:

If it is just VERY slight, it will probably keep that way. No idea why, as the LCD is glued there with a full strip, so I see no reason it should loosen at all.
Only those BIIIG holes (like we saw in the picture) need to be pressed in further.
My prototype unit has such a small hole there, but it hasn't changed a bit in the last 6 months.
So nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
My right shoulder button is useless. I sent a PM to Craig asking what the procedure is here, but predictably no response (full inbox etc).

It's a shame, because the left one is lovely!

EvilDragon said:
Shirohagen said:

If it is just VERY slight, it will probably keep that way. No idea why, as the LCD is glued there with a full strip, so I see no reason it should loosen at all.
Only those BIIIG holes (like we saw in the picture) need to be pressed in further.
My prototype unit has such a small hole there, but it hasn't changed a bit in the last 6 months.
So nothing to worry about.

Mine is quite large. You can actually see the adhesive pulling apart, ie it's fixed at both sides but is all stringy where it's being pulled out.

Pleng said:
Mine is quite large. You can actually see the adhesive pulling apart, ie it's fixed at both sides but is all stringy where it's being pulled out.

I have this too. And the gap is about one quarter of the screen width.

It is possible to fix the shoulder button if you want to open the bottom half of the case. Ed could write you a guide. All you need to do is sand off a tiny amount of plastic from the button and it will work perfectly.

Or we can do it here.

craigix said:
It is possible to fix the shoulder button if you want to open the bottom half of the case. Ed could write you a guide. All you need to do is sand off a tiny amount of plastic from the button and it will work perfectly.

Or we can do it here.

Since I am not in the first 1000, I am somewhere in the 1200-1300 range I would like you to do it during assembly.

Thanks,
Scott

craigix said:

Or we can do it here.

Really? My problem specifically is that the right button doesn't stick out enough. On the outer side, it's flush to the case and won't press. The only way the button will press is if you push the very top (furthest towards you) inwards, and even then it's not great.

I notice the shoulder button sort of hangs off on the outer corner. It comes away quite far from the main case to the point where I can see right in the case.

If I sent it to you, will I be charged for the postage? (I'm in the UK, Yorkshire)

mali said:
^ The button hole is off center, you'd most likely need a new one.

How difficult would it be to open the machine up and install a replacement shoulder button? Will I void my warranty?

It sounds easier and quicker (and cheaper) than shipping the machine back and forth. I could get one of my friends to do it for me, if I was too nervous (I often am with new things).

^ It's very easy, ED made a video a while ago, I'll search for it.

It's near the end:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EvilDragon1717?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/27/B50Kh70AeE4

mali said:
^ It's very easy, ED made a video a while ago, I'll search for it.

It's near the end:
http://www.youtube.com/user/EvilDragon1717?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/27/B50Kh70AeE4

Ah, I remember that one. I think the case design changed since then though (the battery cover for example).

^ It doesn't matter that it's a bit old. The important thing is, that the bottom part that holds the shoulder buttons, is the last part to assemble or the first part when disassembling. The chances to damage something isn't very high if you know what you are doing. The clips around the case could be tricky though, as they might break when trying to disassemble.

Noticed an odd thing today with #14

Issue: When the LCD opens, it pushes out the plastic piece that is around the ports on the underside of the case, basically towards the battery compartment. It pushes back together and clicks in place until the unit is opened again.

Resolution: A screwdriver fixed this for me, a fine electronics grade Phillips tip specifically. I tried loosening first, didn't respond the way I wanted it to. After a few turns with the screwdriver, I realized this bolt was somewhat looser than it should be. Now that the bolt is tight, the LCD hinge doesn't kick out the plastic underneath.

Problem solved.

Something for those with first units to keep an eye out for, and maybe a point of interest for the OP Team during assembly?

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Yes, the not-exactly centered hole is the problem.

The area that presses on the button needs to be either increased or reduced, depending on where the drill hole is.

So either

a) File a bit off
B) Put some small pad on it

As soon as this area is fine, it fits perfectly.

It's a bit trial-and-error. That's why we became way better over the time and checked each unit.
And with the unpainted shoulder buttons it works out-of-the box.

EvilDragon said:
Yes, the not-exactly centered hole is the problem.

The area that presses on the button needs to be either increased or reduced, depending on where the drill hole is.

So either

a) File a bit off
B) Put some small pad on it

As soon as this area is fine, it fits perfectly.

It's a bit trial-and-error. That's why we became way better over the time and checked each unit.
And with the unpainted shoulder buttons it works out-of-the box.

Do you think Craig will send me a replacement shoulder button? Am I okay in opening up the machine? Can I put it back together again easily?

Just want to hear it from the horses mouth, so to speak :)

SomeGuy99 said:
Do you think Craig will send me a replacement shoulder button? Am I okay in opening up the machine? Can I put it back together again easily?

Well, you need to talk to Craig, but I can't see why he wouldn't ;)
However, as the shoulder buttons are still painted and therefore manually adjusted to the case, it might be you also need to do that.

Opening up for changing the shoulderbuttons is not that hard - if you're careful, you can do it. No need to remove the board or anything else.

I'll do some quick disassemble-guide video when I find some time.

Last edited:
Back