Button Layout Poll - The Final Chapter

Plain and simple, GP2X layout or SNES layout.

• GP2X

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • SNES

Votes: 164 86.3%

• Total voters

x68000

Mega GP Mania
Sorry for yet another Button Layout thread, No more i promise after this!

2 Choices only, GP2X or SNES.

Is this a joke (your second line implies it) or is it a serious question with any possible outcome?

Spirit said:
Is this a joke (your second line implies it) or is it a serious question with any possible outcome?
It is a serious question as i just feel that every other poll has ended up a bit of a sham and has had too many variables.

Just a plain and simple poll with 2 choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consequence9 said:
keyboard? don't u mean button layout? neither of those had keyboards unless i'm missing something ;]
You never opened your SNES to find the internal keyboard?!

AHAHAHAHAHA

I just thought about how funny it would be if "GP2X" or "SNES" were the actual labels for the buttons. Imagine having to "press G to continue", or having to figure out which S they want you to press. :D

Also, if for some reason you feel very strongly about it being one or the other please indicate it in this thread for my sake. I'd like to see how much people are bothered by this.

SNES just feels more right somehow.
The pairs of XY and AB always serve some similar purpose, and it's somehow more intuitive when you're able to think "to move from the primary button (X, A) to the secondary button (Y, B ) , move down to the left". With the GP32 layout, you have to think about where each button is.

I wouldn't say I am 'bothered' by this, but I would prefer (and voted for) the SNES layout. Honestly though, I am going to be staring at the screen WAY more than I will be looking at the buttons so this is really a non-issue for me. And I certainly don't want the layout changed if it will cause any kind of delay.

Exophase said:
Also, if for some reason you feel very strongly about it being one or the other please indicate it in this thread for my sake. I'd like to see how much people are bothered by this.

Out of curiosity, are these "results" going to have any impact on anything (are they going to be reflected in something you code at some point)? Or are they purely curiosity?

I voted SNES because I grew up with Nintendo systems and never owned a GP2X, so the SNES layout is more familiar to me. The GP2X layout is acceptable, but I'd much rather the SNES layout. If enough devs include some way to change prompts in their homebrew games, I'll probably open up my Pandora and rearrange the buttons (once I get it, of course).

I intend to play a lot of (S)NES on the console and it's purely aesthetic. It also seems convenient if Pandora games use the same button layout as the systems I intend to emulate. I wouldn't mind having the GP2X layout but I'd much prefer the SNES layout.

Told myself I shouldn't vote. These threads never end in a nice way.
Voted SNES.
Reason: just feel natural. don't know why, played a bit of SNES in my days, never owned one.
But its no biggie, I never look on the buttons when I play. As long as you can remap I'm good either way.

Vorporeal said:
Out of curiosity, are these "results" going to have any impact on anything (are they going to be reflected in something you code at some point)? Or are they purely curiosity?

The results don't matter to me in a practical way. Whether or not they matter to anyone else, including the Pandora team, I really don't know. All I can say is that it's possible they could.

Snes because with A being the first letter in the alphabet it makes sense to use it for the primary select button.
B for the back button also makes sense.

Would prefer Y for the top button and X for the left though, but don't ask me why??

Back