Button Layout Poll - The Final Chapter

Plain and simple, GP2X layout or SNES layout.

• GP2X

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • SNES

Votes: 164 86.3%

• Total voters

Vote for the SNES Layout... It is similar to the DS layout, which I'm used to, so guess it is my best shot.

I intend to play snes games on this so that would make for a little more natural feel. in fact i always grab one of my SNES controllers when i map a gamepad for an emulator anyway ;)

With a screwdriver you could probably pop the case open and swap the buttons anyway.

Exophase said:
Also, if for some reason you feel very strongly about it being one or the other please indicate it in this thread for my sake. I'd like to see how much people are bothered by this.

I can deal with either, but seeing as how I grew up with a Sega Genesis and not a SNES, I just find the GP2X layout to be more logical and easier to remember. That's why I would prefer the GP2X layout.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Also, if for some reason you feel very strongly about it being one or the other please indicate it in this thread for my sake. I'd like to see how much people are bothered by this.

I do. I intend to play a lot of snes on this, and while the layout wont matter while I'm playing snes it will after I play snes for 3 hours then go to use some other software and see "Push A to do ****" and push what was the A button for the last few hours out of habit.

Although I would have preferred they go with other symbols entirely to sidestep any sort of "I'm used to ****" problems. Numbers, letters not normally used, letters/symbols from other languages, or whatever else.

I picked Snes just out of familiarity, I'll use my Pandora with as much glee no matter how the buttons are labeled.

I'll stick with the default because I don't want to have to remap in pandora-specific applications. I guess if I had the choice, I would prefer snes-style, simply so I don't have to think about button prompts again.

Lunatic said:
I'll stick with the default because I don't want to have to remap in pandora-specific applications. I guess if I had the choice, I would prefer snes-style, simply so I don't have to think about button prompts again.
Has the pandora's default been definitively set at the goofy gp2x axby format?

Surely you mean RED, BLUE, YELLOW and GREEN for SNES? Whenever anyone asks me what button does what I always use the colours, rather than the letters. :p The PlayStation brand is probably the only control layout that I actually remember.

I couldn't even tell you where each button was on GP2X or SNES, despite using both for years. I never look at them. I just hit buttons to see what they do in each game. As long as the buttons actually work, that is all that matters.

El Jefe said:
Lunatic said:
Has the pandora's default been definitively set at the goofy gp2x axby format?

It won't be definitively set until assembly time, but every indication so far has been that the GP2X format will be used (Craig stated that he thought the SNES layout was trademarked, but this seems fairly unlikely to me). My own (somewhat weak) preference is for the SNES layout, since I'm very familiar with that one, but I don't suppose the other layout would be difficult to get used to.

I understand why people would be against the GP2X format (I'm one of them... it's a very illogical setup), and I can understand why the Pandora team may not be able to use the SNES format (craigix believes it to be a Nintendo trademark), but what I don't understand is why there's little to no support for the XY/AB layout? The Dreamcast, Xbox, and Xbox 360, and to some degree, the Saturn, all use this format.

Anyway, I voted SNES since the GP2X format just doesn't jive with me, but if the SNES layout truly is trademarked, I can't see why XY/AB can't be an option. :)

I didn't read every post, but on the first page Expose said to say if they feel strongly one way or the other, so . . .

I think SNES is the way to go, more people are familiar with it and I don't think there are going to be many games carry over from the GP2X anyway. I think nearly everyone that is pre-ordering the Pandora have had the SNES where only a few had the GP2X. I was one of the few that did have the GP2X and I can let the layout go.

I just think it makes more sense to have the SNES layout over the GP2X. If it does come GP2X I might move the buttons when it gets to me and remap them in the software just so I can have a more genuine feel for my SNES games. I'm sure most emulators/games will have the feature to remap the button layouts anyway, and if it isn't possible then I'll deal with with it after I move the buttons to SNES layout.

-Tj- said:
it's a very illogical setup

No it isn't. If anything, it's more logical than SNES layout. (unless you're speaking from a marketing standpoint)

EDIT:
second exodous said:
I didn't read every post, but on the first page Expose said to say if they feel strongly one way or the other, so . . .

I think SNES is the way to go, more people are familiar with it and I don't think there are going to be many games carry over from the GP2X anyway. I think nearly everyone that is pre-ordering the Pandora have had the SNES where only a few had the GP2X. I was one of the few that did have the GP2X and I can let the layout go.

I just think it makes more sense to have the SNES layout over the GP2X. If it does come GP2X I might move the buttons when it gets to me and remap them in the software just so I can have a more genuine feel for my SNES games. I'm sure most emulators/games will have the feature to remap the button layouts anyway, and if it isn't possible then I'll deal with with it after I move the buttons to SNES layout.

Just so you know, his name is Exophase, not a mac program.

Also, about the comment about nearly everyone pre-ordering has had the SNES, I would have to disagree. Sega was a big contender back then, and the Sega Genesis was their best-selling system. I would say that with that alone your odds are at around half of the pre-orderers owning the SNES. Then you have to take into account all the people of the N64 and PS1 age who might be getting the Pandora, while they are significantly less I'm sure, they do count for a decent amount. I have no doubt that there are more people who have had the SNES than those who had the GP2X, (especially because of the split of GP2X users between Wiz and Pandora) however I completely disagree that a overbearing majority of users have previously owned the SNES.

-God Ginrai

Most Preorderers are probably just as, if not more familiar with the GP2X button layout.

The SNES may seem more familiar to many, but there appears to be that patent issue still looming over it.

Is it a risk worth taking...............probably not :(

x68000 said:
Most Preorderers are probably just as, if not more familiar with the GP2X button layout.

The SNES may seem more familiar to many, but there appears to be that patent issue still looming over it.

Is it a risk worth taking...............probably not :(

It's probably not worth it for OP to ship Pandoras with the buttons in that layout, but it might be worth it to create some sort of "standard method" by which programs can find out whether people are using the default layout or the SNES layout and can adjust things like button prompts accordingly. It can't be that hard, you could just check an environment variable, and use that to determine whether to print "A" or "X" (or whatever).

Back