Button Layout Poll - The Final Chapter

Plain and simple, GP2X layout or SNES layout.

• GP2X

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • SNES

Votes: 164 86.3%

• Total voters

You could always do it like Vorporeal and -Tj- proposed, and then ship the unit with X, triangle, square, circle, 1, 2, 3, 4, A, B, X and Y buttons that the user could put wherever they wanted to. Stick a text-based (maybe go crazy and build a GUI control, with defaults for PSP, SNES, GP2X and user definable sets) system in for redefining the buttons and there you go.

Hell, give me some pink, blue, red, green, yellow, orange, purple, and fuchsia ones too, I can use the ones I want and down the others with a vodka chaser and my crazy pills.

GlassDeviant said:
You could always do it like Vorporeal and -Tj- proposed, and then ship the unit with X, triangle, square, circle, 1, 2, 3, 4, A, B, X and Y buttons that the user could put wherever they wanted to. Stick a text-based (maybe go crazy and build a GUI control, with defaults for PSP, SNES, GP2X and user definable sets) system in for redefining the buttons and there you go.

Hell, give me some pink, blue, red, green, yellow, orange, purple, and fuchsia ones too, I can use the ones I want and down the others with a vodka chaser and my crazy pills.
Make the keys Software Configurable and after a year we can pop the case as swap them to our heart's desire.

Why not have coloured buttons each of which also has symbols clearly embossed and tiny numbers in the middle (the X rather spoils this idea).

Last edited by a moderator:
-Tj- said:
For example, if the buttons had number assignments internally...
Code:
1   4
... then developers could call those numbers when they make their games, and have their text display the name of the button based on the user's name for them.
I think it should be:
Code:
1   3
;)

Aninhumer said:
-Tj- said:
Code:
1   4
... then developers could call those numbers when they make their games, and have their text display the name of the button based on the user's name for them.
I think it should be:
Code:
1   3
;)

You're both wrong, it should be

Code:
3   2

ro match my USB AirFlo controllwe

Monk said:
Aninhumer said:
-Tj- said:
Code:
1   4
I think it should be:
Code:
1   3
;)

You're both wrong, it should be

Code:
3   2

ro match my USB AirFlo controllwe
I agree with one of you.

iprice said:
I couldn't even tell you where each button was on GP2X or SNES, despite using both for years. I never look at them. I just hit buttons to see what they do in each game.

But thi strategy won't work very well when you play a game like Metroid ZM and it tells you the sequence for a special move, say A,B,A,A.
If you then try it out and it doesn't work you can't be sure if it is becuase you hit the button in a wrong timing or if oyu hit totally wrong buttons.

About the naming of the SNES buttons.
For me it is the most logical one of them all.
I have no idea if Nintendo has thought about it, but what helps me to remember the A & B buttons:

A : _A_ttack (its mostly the "trigger" or "use key")
B : _B_ack (in menues its always the back button and in games its mostly the cancle button)

Now to the order of the buttons A & B which at first glance is awkward. Here is my reason for it:

If I want to "go back" I have to move my thumb in a backwards direction, considering it is on A button.

On the SNES they added two extra buttons X & Y. The reason for the names is stated above and the reason for the ordering is just to make it similar to the A & B ordering.

If you keep that in mind you NEVER have to look at your buttons when playing a SNES game.

zhasha said:
I agree with one of you.

Oooh, and I thought *I* was being mean! ;)

Creature XL said:
If you keep that in mind you NEVER have to look at your buttons when playing a SNES game.

Does that mean that having the buttons labelled SNES style would be of no practical benefit to SNES emulators, so going with effectively ANY other design is mor elikely to help someone?

CoMiKe said:
I would also vote for an XBOX Layout X[sup]Y[/sup][sub]A[/sub]B.

xbox360controller.jpg

yea

Monk said:
Creature XL said:

Does that mean that having the buttons labelled SNES style would be of no practical benefit to SNES emulators, so going with effectively ANY other design is more likely to help someone?

Opps. Erm.. looks like you are right. :)

I voted SNES-style nonetheless, as I thought of my "rational" while reading the posts in this thread.

Back