C64 Game Port Request (maybe Re-invent)

rydore

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Back in the good old 1980's, I was addicted to a C64 classic called "Mail Order Monsters".
It was a game in which you created your own monster, purchased things like claws, wings, etc and then weapons. Object was to kill other monsters, save up money and improve your monster.
I found a ROM image that I've played on Vice and Frodo but have had some issues.
In order to play this game (2 disk), you needed a blank disk called "Owners Disk", so you must keep switching from side one of disk to side 2, then swap in blank to save data. Well, I cannot seem to get this working correct on either Frodo or Vice, any suggestions?

Guess my real request is, can someone port this into it's own entity vs using an emulator.
Maybe make some improvements in graphics, movement, sound, etc... I think it would make a great release for an updated commercial game.

Newbie, so if a request like this is unwarrented, please forgive me.

rydore posted on Dec 18 2006 at 06:45 PM said:
Back in the good old 1980's, I was addicted to a C64 classic called "Mail Order Monsters".
It was a game in which you created your own monster, purchased things like claws, wings, etc and then weapons. Object was to kill other monsters, save up money and improve your monster.
I found a ROM image that I've played on Vice and Frodo but have had some issues.
In order to play this game (2 disk), you needed a blank disk called "Owners Disk", so you must keep switching from side one of disk to side 2, then swap in blank to save data. Well, I cannot seem to get this working correct on either Frodo or Vice, any suggestions?

Guess my real request is, can someone port this into it's own entity vs using an emulator.
Maybe make some improvements in graphics, movement, sound, etc... I think it would make a great release for an updated commercial game.

Newbie, so if a request like this is unwarrented, please forgive me.

No source == No port.
Now, from the sound of things, this might be doable to recreate from scratch, but finding a dev willing do do that might be a whole other ordeal...

Last edited by a moderator:
rydore posted on Dec 18 2006 at 12:45 PM said:

There's also a version for the Atari 800. You can get an Atari 800 emulator here:

http://www.scrameta.net/a800.html

However, you might still run into the same problems with disk swapping. I've never used that emulator, so I have no idea.

Explain the game in complete, 110% detail and I'll consider programming it. Of course, to do this I would require a lot of information!

I'd like a nice C or C++ project to work on...

saehn posted on Dec 18 2006 at 10:59 PM said:
rydore posted on Dec 18 2006 at 12:45 PM said:

There's also a version for the Atari 800. You can get an Atari 800 emulator here:

http://www.scrameta.net/a800.html

However, you might still run into the same problems with disk swapping. I've never used that emulator, so I have no idea.

Explain the game in complete, 110% detail and I'll consider programming it. Of course, to do this I would require a lot of information!

I'd like a nice C or C++ project to work on...

In detail..... hmmm, best way to see is to download Vice or Frodo (PC version) and play it.
It starts off by you creating an owner and password so nobody else can use him.
You start off with $250 (I think they call them Pyschons or something like that).
You buy a beast (Wasp, Humanoid, Dino, worm, Bee, etc) in a store.
You then purchase traits (Strength, Speed, Inteligence, Stamina, life, etc)
You then purchase Morphs (Like Claws, Hands if your beast doesn't naturally have one, tails, fangs, etc).
From here, you purchase weapons and armor...... to many to list, but items like swords, lazers, psycic powers, ammo, energy (for energy powered weapons).
From here you can walk to a coral to store your beast or you walk to the coliseum for your battle (one player or two).
You pick what kind of terain (cause flyers, walkers, and swimmers all act different in different terains).
Walkers have trouble in mountains, swimmers have trouble on land, flyers have trouble in forests. you get the idea.
You then pick capture the flag or death... If you lose in a death battle, your beast is done and must start over.
If you win the battle, you get more money gradually upgrade your beast.

I am telling you, this has got to be one of the best games I've ever played for it's time and I know if it was re-engineered, it would be popular. Thanks for taking an interest and let me know if you could use anything else like screen shots, and such. Not sure how to post things like this, but I can email for sure.

Back