C64 Help

ebrentnell

Still Fresh
Hello,

I have downloaded the C64 emulator and package of ROM's from this website. C64 loads up and I can get into the menu and the little keyboard. But how do I load a game.

I never really played the C64 when it was new, I had a VIC 20 but I was 4 or 5 years old and cant really remember how to load games.

Please help.

Thanks

yeh i am having this problem too, I am using old frodo though, oh and I am also using some .d64 files as well

The roms you seek would most likely need to be in .d64 format. Then all you do is hit the start button and goto attach .d64 then find the d64 file. Then go back to the start menu and choose load first file on the disk. In a number of cases this will work and will load and run the game without too many problems.

If you find the game doesn't work then it may be due to the fact a lot of games had funny files as their first programs on the disk, namely "-------------" lines etc etc. You can find out by attaching the .d64 file then going back to the main C64 screen and bringing up the virtual keyboard, then going to F7 (over on the bottom right hand side) and pressing "A". This will cause the C64 to load the directory (eg, the contents of the disk). Now move the virtual keyboard over the F1 key and hit "A" again on the GP32. You should now see a directory listing. It should be fairly obvious which files you can and can't load by the block numbers. Generally much under about 80 blocks is probably just data. Expect games to weigh in at around 150 blocks (blocks being the numbers down the far left side of the directory).

Now using the virtual keyboard again, move the flashing cursor upto the beginning line of the programe you wish to load and then virtual click on the F5 key. You will now see that a LOAD has been inserted. Now using the virtual cursors position your flashing cursor directly on the character after the end " quote. Now virtual key in ,8,1 that's comma eight comma one. If you find there is more text after it you will need to space this out first. Then hovering somewhere on that line virtual click on the "rtrn" return key. You should find the program starts to load. At this point you may want to turn off the virtual keyboard until after the program finishes loading as I find it slows the loading time down quite a bit having the virtual keyboard open.

After the program has finished loading bring up the virtual keyboard again and click on the "F3" key, this should produce a RUN: prompt and auto run the game.

I am sure in future versions of FRODO32 they will get around to making this process slightly easier on the fingers. Until then you will just have to live with it. Use D64's instead! - there are plenty floating around the internet, providing you own the originals.

Have fun.

PK.

PS: You will find that quite a few D64 files don't work, this is just tough luck at the moment. Games in question are Mayhem in Monsterland (plays title music but no screen appears and you can't start the game). Quite a few T64 games don't appear to work. Some D64's just reset the C64 emu and go back to a blank screen. I am sure this will improve with time also.

i tried doing this, i selected one of the .d64 files i got from www.theoldcomputer.com and tried to load it and do what you suggested, nothing happened...errrrrrrr need a little help:D

It didn't run on the other c64 emu either so i am gonna try another .d64 file first
[EDIT]
I downloaded the ROM's from here C64 Unlimited
I managed to get it too load but it didn't. It just gave a lot of coloured lines going across the screen and flickering

I can use the .D64 no problem,But how do you get .T64 files to work?is it the same as d64's cause i have tryed a few t64 files the same way as d64 and they arn't recognised

You'll see a lot of coloured lines running C64-games...
Nearly every cracked game has them: It's a sign that the C64 is decrunching... you just have to wait ;)
(sometimes up to 1 minute... if it doesn't run after that, you're unlucky)

Back