[Caanoo] [Picodrive] Problems With Nhl Games

ccc

Still Fresh
Thanks to the creator of Picodrive for a very good emulator. I really enjoy playing Mega Drive/Genesis games on the go and mostly the games run smoothly. Unfortunately though I do have a slight problem with some of the NHL games. I'm using Picodrive 1.80 on Caanoo (FW 1.6.1.)

In NHL 94 when I choose new play-offs then the first game runs smooth and seemingly without any issue, but when I'm supposed to advance to the next round the game starts all over from scratch now with Anaheim vs Anaheim.

In NHL 95 there only seems to be one player name, O. Hebert, so all goals are scored by O. Hebert all penalties for O. Hebert etc.

In NHL 96 the screen goes blank after initial game setup and device freezes.

In NHL 97 and 98 it's not possible to choose teams manually and game will be Anaheim vs Anaheim which in return cannot be started due to 'duplicate teams error'.

While I don't care so much for the latter ones I'd really like to get NHL 94 to work. I read about different variables that might help in a similar topic:

-Frameskip 0
-Renderer 16 bit accurate
-Vsync ON
-Disable sprite limit OFF
-Disable idle loop patching ON

Unfortunately, the above didn't solve the problem. Are there other settings I could adjust that might help?

For all the problems I can find with Picodrive, this is what I do :

- I check older versions here : http://notaz.gp2x.de/pico.php

- I try Wiz or Gp2x versions (1.5 ect...) and use them with Ginge.

Maybe that can help.

Had to do this with some MegaCD games to make them work.

Thanks for the advice, BAFelton. That sounds like some good ideas there. I'll give it a try. Cheers!

That O. Hebert! :D

That's a weird problem, but funny.

PicoDrive is indeed a tremendous emulator. Plenty of options, runs fast and accurately and is pretty reliable.

Forgotten Worlds is another one with a weird glitch. You can't start the game! When you try, you get a game over screen immediately liked you died. There's other platforms for it but still, would like to play the Genesis version like I actually owned back in the day.

I'll have to try BA's tip to see if I can get it to run.

I tried using an older version for Wiz through Ginge, but didn't see the roms which I just put onto the folder. So basically I'm doing something wrong I know, I really don't know how Ginge works I guess although I managed to play other gpe files through it.

Anyway, I can play the NHL 94 MD version on my Dingoo so no biggie, would just have been convenient to play it on my Caanoo also.

darklight1138 said:
That O. Hebert! :D

That's a weird problem, but funny.

PicoDrive is indeed a tremendous emulator. Plenty of options, runs fast and accurately and is pretty reliable.

Forgotten Worlds is another one with a weird glitch. You can't start the game! When you try, you get a game over screen immediately liked you died. There's other platforms for it but still, would like to play the Genesis version like I actually owned back in the day.

I'll have to try BA's tip to see if I can get it to run.
Please refresh my memory, who is O. Hebert? :)

Regarding Forgotten Worlds, I can get it to work on my device. Have you tried different roms/types. I'm using an smd file and have so far found no problems, the game seems to run smoothly without any glitches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back