Caanoo Programing

Hawk

Still Fresh
Hey there,

Bought my Caanoo and I'm wondering how difficult is it to program with? I'll be honest and say I have no idea how to program but I have the theory (If/Then,Classes, Objects). I'm wondering how far of a stretch is it from,say,XNA Framework with C Sharp? I'm really more of designer (If someone who is making a team is reading this, I could be intrested)

Cheers,
Hawk

Hawk said:
Hey there,

Bought my Caanoo and I'm wondering how difficult is it to program with? I'll be honest and say I have no idea how to program but I have the theory (If/Then,Classes, Objects). I'm wondering how far of a stretch is it from,say,XNA Framework with C Sharp? I'm really more of designer (If someone who is making a team is reading this, I could be intrested)

Cheers,
Hawk

you can use c++

Last edited by a moderator:
With the Caanoo you have plenty of choice when it comes to APIs. For 2D simple games that require little graphic processing you have SDL which is already built-in and fairly easy to use for newbies. There's also already in all other SDL libraries: SDL_ttf, SDL_mixer, SDL_gfx, SDL_image and SDL_net. Then you have OpenGL ES 1.1, so you can take advantage of the GPU and also OpenAL, for advanced audio handling. On top of these, there's another library provided by GPH, DGE 2.0. It provides a layer of abstraction for OpenGL which makes it a little bit easier to use, of course, at the cost of losing portability.

C++ (or C), is the recomended language since you almost certainly need its power with this CPU. However, you could still use e.g. Python or Ruby and still get a good performance. It just depends on your programming skills.

right know am writing a game in glbasic. there is only one problem no caanoo support as yet but it was promised and inorder to compile caanoo binaries one must buy the full version ~$90 us. but it is fast and easy. how good are you with sprites?

you can also try love, a lua based engine for the caanoo. advantage here is, that you can develop your game on your desktop machine mostly. with c/c++ this is often cumbersome, if you don't use SDL.

Last edited by a moderator:
BennuGD is another programming language available for use with the Caanoo.

@monstercameron

Depends on what you mean by Sprites. Are you talking about character design which I can do if you have mock-ups and/or an idea what you what.

@Crow_Riot
I will take a look into it. Thanks.

@Senor Quack
:p I can't program my way out of a paper bag - I was just wondering if it has the same simplistic class types (IE joystick.Analog=10px move object.charater) <-- I'm sure I murdered that but wondering how hard would it be to get into it

@All
Thanks for all the responses.

yeah teh caanoo sdk is in c++, and analogue = 10px wont work(i know it was an abstract example), you can practice on your own but the easiest way would really to take classes, that way you learn from simple to more complex. so i am trying to write a game in glbasic, and i have gotten background(static atm), sprite w/ color keye, input(direction), collision, and botched gravity(always falls until it hits the floor or sprite collision), what i am not really good at is graphics and if you have graphics experience and want something to do then let me know...but...glbasic doesnt have caanoo support yet!

Back