Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

klikklak said:
Nobodys told Engadget yet.
Done. I cba'd with details so I just linked them to this thread and PlayAsia.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I'm not. I've already told them I'm not (wait until you see the price of it!).
If people want to buy it, then why not?

Was Wiz not selling enough? Or were reapirs and replacements costing you too much?

Ari64 said:

Bias, pure and simple.

Nova said:
Ari64 said:

Bias, pure and simple.
I dunno, I think Craig is the kind of guy who would try and get money if he thought he had a chance.
He might just honestly think these things won't sell very well, which is probably true.

To EvilDragon,

When you say it's analog, do you mean literally analog, or an analog-looking digital stick like that on the original GP32 and NeoGeo Pocket?

Has this been clarified and confirmed yet in this thread? If so, I missed it.

Not that I plan to buy this, either way.

Prophet said:
To EvilDragon,

When you say it's analog, do you mean literally analog, or an analog-looking digital stick like that on the original GP32 and NeoGeo Pocket?

It's analogue. That's been confirmed a number of times :).

quote said:
Prophet said:
To EvilDragon,

It's analogue. That's been confirmed a number of times :) .

Not officially.

Why isn't anyone talking about what they did *right*?

WiFi (whether external or internal - they are promoting it as having WiFi Standard)
G-Sensor (seems to be useful on the iPhone - especially for games)
They ditched the Fake D-pad looking action buttons. In fact, the backlash against those fake dpad buttons might be why they ditched the D-pad altogether.
Bigger screen (seemed to work for The DS Lite - DSi - DSi XL transition. Certainly better than making the screen *Smaller* ala GameBoy Micro)
Sleeker design (yeah, that's an opinion - but it looks a lot better than the Wiz to me).
More RAM - doubled, actually.
App Store - ala the iPhone

In fact, it seems that most of the design changes for this incremental speed boost upgrade are aimed at the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch more than anything else.

And as far as the price goes - the email that Play-Asia sent me said US$169.99 - but that price has been removed from their site, so I don't know how reliable it is.

Nova said:
Ari64 said:
Bias, pure and simple.
I don't see anything wrong with this, even if there is bias. If I were running a shop, I wouldn't want to stock something that I didn't stand behind. Wouldn't be worth the grief to me, so I'd let someone else do it. I think Craig's been pretty clear on his opinion of GPH, so I can certainly understand not wanting to help them out.

I always thought that the wiz looked nice but just didn't offer enough over the gp2x f200 to make me really want it. I ended up getting both an f100 and f200 so was looking for a bit more from the next gph console. While nothing amazing the wiz did have some nice things like being more portable and the oled screen. Now its like gph are taking the stick from the f100 and removing anything good about the wiz. Instead of consistently improving they make some things better and many things worse. After gp2x it seems gph don't really know where to go. They really need a better soc with real 3d graphics capability and better speed OR to really go the dingoo direction and make something cheap. They are just throwing out random ideas and hope it works. They have no clear vision. While pandora may have taken too long and more expensive than I would like at least they have kept a clear vision of a powerful open source handheld console.

Also, while gph can be counted on to actually come out with their consoles they seem to be very unreliable lately with their support, add on devices, and the whole fungp thing. With an app store the wiz would have been a lot more attractive yet its still not here long after announced. Same for wifi addon. Having a wifi addon is still pretty stupid anyway does it really cost that much to have it inside the system?

Luckily I'm not starving for another homebrew console and can still enjoy my gp2x though not as often as I used to.

Nova said:
quote said:

Not officially.
What? ED's been in contact with GPH. He's even played with the prototype. I'd say this is pretty official:
EvilDragon said:
That's the power switch, as far as I remember correctly.
The volume slider is on the top.
And that stick is an analogue stick.

That device shouldn't have been revealed until E3 though... wonder who leaked that information this time.

quote said:
Nova said:
quote said:

Not officially.
What? ED's been in contact with GPH. He's even played with the prototype. I'd say this is pretty official:
EvilDragon said:
That's the power switch, as far as I remember correctly.
The volume slider is on the top.
And that stick is an analogue stick.

That device shouldn't have been revealed until E3 though... wonder who leaked that information this time.

I'm gonna wait for official confirmation on any of the details right now.

I tried playing some music on my wiz facing the speakers away from me. I didn't notice any difference, unless my hands physically covered the speakers. So maybe it isn't toooo bad that the speakers are on the back.

Anyone have any thoughts / experiences?

/Uni

u9i said:
I tried playing some music on my wiz facing the speakers away from me. I didn't notice any difference, unless my hands physically covered the speakers. So maybe it isn't toooo bad that the speakers are on the back.

Anyone have any thoughts / experiences?

/Uni
Yeah, it depends where they're positioned. Somewhere near the top wouldn't be too bad. I don't know why people think it's such a design flaw, the first PSP had speakers facing downwards.

Well, this seems quite unfortunate, seeing as I only got the Wiz for my birthday less than a month ago. >.<

Let's just hope this Caanoo is at least backwards compatible with Wiz stuff, eh?

Where's WarmFluffy? She was active at the start of the Wiz, and got a pre-production model IIRC. It seems she's gone over to the Pandora side of things.

Nova said:
quote said:
Prophet said:
To EvilDragon,

Not officially.

It IS an analogue pad. Confrmed by me.

Last edited:
Back