Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

christo930 said:
I can't understand why everyone seems to be so much against the new controller without anyone having played with it. ED stated that he hasn't used it for anything but the main menu. How does anyone know it won't be good? Chris
Because it is analog. That is all you need to know to know it will be rubbish for emulators.

I don't care if it is the best analog controller known to man, it will suck for emus just because of the way they work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this console and may get it but its not "ground breaking".

Same CPU: Boring but good for compatibility

Same Resolution: Its too low, but I guess it will suffice

Bigger Screen: Good but its LCD :( I loved the other screen type!

More Ram: Good

Analogue Controler: Unsure

Wifi: I am not sure I would in reality use this much, perhaps I am wrong...

This is basically GP2X Wiz Mk II

DaveC said:
I don't get the Caanoo name? Is that like in boat? Maybe they should have named it the Titanic :p
In 2005, the GP32 was popular so the next version was called the GPX2... err GP2X.

In 2008, the Wii was popular so they named their next handheld the Wiz.

In 2010, the Dingoo was popular so they named their next handheld the Caanoo.

qwertyui said:
I like this console and may get it but its not "ground breaking".

Same CPU: Boring but good for compatibility

Same Resolution: Its too low, but I guess it will suffice

Bigger Screen: Good but its LCD :( I loved the other screen type!

More Ram: Good

Analogue Controler: Unsure

Wifi: I am not sure I would in reality use this much, perhaps I am wrong...

This is basically GP2X Wiz Mk II

Actually to me it is the GP2X Wiz mk .5 .

Speakers on the back. The back?!?

Mundane old LCD.

Analog stick.

Not backwards compatible (can't be with a different controller).

Meh.

Dave, You've already stated you don't like it so do you really need to keep posting the same things again and again? I'll once again mention that not everyone uses the Wiz solely as an emulation platform.

Peter R said:
I'll once again mention that not everyone uses the Wiz solely as an emulation platform.
Well now for sure they won't!

Not sure what they will use it for though. It won't do anything a hacked DS or PSP won't do in terms of homebrew.

Have fun with your 3 Tetris clones!

quote said:
Exophase said:
Yeah, some recent activity. One thread started a week and a half ago, two days before this thread even, and she's "switched sides", right?
All of you who are using Pandora as a scapegoat explaining any negative commentary towards GPH, or even a lack of commentary entirely, are being unfair and frankly a little pathetic.
The fuck? Why are you picking my posts apart like this?
WarmFluffyUK said:
I know I am and I have high hopes for the Pandora. This is exciting stuff folks!
Whatever, she's shown some enthusiasm for it. She hasn't for the Caanoo yet. That's why I said "It seems she's gone over to the Pandora side of things".
Also, she's been in direct contact with GPH in the past; I would have thought she'd be one of the first to know about this.
You're looking way too deep into it, I was just making a simple observation. My post did not contain any bitter hate for the Pandora, I don't even hate that side of the forum (hell, I was pretty active there at the start). I'd say you're the pathetic one for picking apart my posts and looking for some drama. Stop it. That's Craig's job.

Edit:
kvypsn.png
She must've seen this thread. My original post was just asking for her viewpoint on it really, seeing as she was so involved in the past.

Sorry for not being here for a while, but I have been kinda busy with some other projects and to be honest completely missed this one. Yes the Pandora is exciting stuff, it's been 2 years in the making born from this very community and currently it's dominating the boards, I don't think a couple of comments about it means I have switched sides, I haven't and I will always try to support all as much as I can.

I spoke to GPH yesterday about the Caanoo and it seems like it's going to be a nice addition to their line of consoles, or possibly it's what the Wiz should have been? I don't know as much about the Caanoo as I did the Wiz because I have never seen a Caanoo. To be honest, this thread seems to have covered it pretty nicely, especially since Ed has actually seen one :).

If I get my hands on one I will post a review, and if I get any breaking news from GPH as always I will feed that back to the boards.

A bigger version of the wiz actually appeals to me. The hidden speakers, non OLED and analogue nub arent a deal breaker for me. I cant say I am particularly happy with the wiz ergonomics. (my hands hurt after playing an intense game for a while)

Now if I could get wiz compatibility with a larger screen and better controls I would be very happy and this cannoo seems closer to that so far. Truth is we dont know about backwards compatibility just yet, because of stuff like open2x from people like Orkie who knows what could end up happening. A little bit more power wouldnt be a bad thing though. :)

I have to agree, DaveC has repeated himself enough now. I'm sure no one thinks it will be any good for emulation, and if they do, they'll soon find out after trying it :) As Monk said, we are a passionate bunch, but lets continue a constructive discussion (and lets see if we can get the longest thread too)

DaveC, i am pretty sure a lot of people appreciate quite a few homebrew titles around here, even if you don't. Live and let live... please.

bowz said:
4. And most importantly, this is a forum for discussing a handheld, not some argument about world peace or who has rights to the Gaza Strip. Is it really worth getting worked up about?

Amen!

qwertyui said:
Create your games and share it with the world, this will all be made possible by Game Park Holding's New Console - Caanoo.
It wasn't possible with the Wiz?

Besides logging into online games, you can grab any content you want, such as applications and stand-alone games, off the FunGP, an online application store.
Sounds like you can use FunGP on your Caanoo. But earlier they said FunGP requires ActiveX (Internet Explorer), so they changed that? Or did they create a stand-alone application for the Caanoo? I predict that the above statement is simply false and you can't use FunGP from your Caanoo.

You can put your work on the site and earn money. If gaming is your dream, you can try your hand at it here. The site will be opened in August 2010, be sure to visit it.
Am I the only one who thinks that the site won't be opened in August?

Network Wi-Fi
Is it built-in? After reading this newsletter it seems so.

Jan-Nik said:
Besides logging into online games, you can grab any content you want, such as applications and stand-alone games, off the FunGP, an online application store.
Sounds like you can use FunGP on your Caanoo. But earlier they said FunGP requires ActiveX (Internet Explorer), so they changed that? Or did they create a stand-alone application for the Caanoo? I predict that the above statement is simply false and you can't use FunGP from your Caanoo.

The reason for the delay of FunGP was that they hired a 3rd party company that created it and it was full of ActiveX. It didn't work so they scrapped it and are now doing it themselves.
The new version works without ActiveX, so you should be able to use it with FireFox and Linux, too.
Don't think you can directly use it with the WIZ / Caanoo.

You can put your work on the site and earn money. If gaming is your dream, you can try your hand at it here. The site will be opened in August 2010, be sure to visit it.
Am I the only one who thinks that the site won't be opened in August?

Well, I've seen it working, it's basically finished. Until same major bugs pop up, it should work out fine for August.
The Korean Developer section of FunGP IS already open.

Network Wi-Fi
Is it built-in? After reading this newsletter it seems so.

No, it needs the external dongle (that will also work with the WIZ).

Last edited:
Jan-Nik said:
Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up ED. Let's hope they really make it in August :)

Things might change if the war between north and south korea breaks out (again).

Grr.. where is that blasted external dongle! I'm ][ this close to selling my Wiz, for the simple fact that it doesn't have Wifi and all the things I want to do require Wifi! (And working USB Host..)

EvilDragon said:
Well, I've seen it working, it's basically finished. Until same major bugs pop up, it should work out fine for August.
The Korean Developer section of FunGP IS already open.

But for August... is only Korean FunGP version planned ? Or English too ?

And a date for English Developer section and translated SDK docs ?

torpor said:
Grr.. where is that blasted external dongle! I'm ][ this close to selling my Wiz, for the simple fact that it doesn't have Wifi and all the things I want to do require Wifi! (And working USB Host..)

I'm pretty curious to know how their wifi dongle will work, and how it will be powered.

I predict - the system will slow down to a crawl when the wifi is active AND the battery will be raped senseless.

craigix said:
I'm pretty curious to know how their wifi dongle will work, and how it will be powered.

I predict - the system will slow down to a crawl when the wifi is active AND the battery will be raped senseless.
You're so pessimistic :(.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49187-wiz-usb-host/page__view__findpost__p__865830

quote said:
craigix said:

You're so pessimistic :( .
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49187-wiz-usb-host/page__view__findpost__p__865830

I'm just being realistic based on past experience.

So let me get this straight: you don't have a wiz even for your collection, you will not get a caanoo even for purely capitalist reasons so your only reasons for posting here are spite and vehement hatred of koreans. Wow. Oh and jumping to any chance to make your own investment look good.
What can I say? -1.

Back