Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

crow_riot said:
Monk said:
As sad and meaningless as this thread has become, it may actually be an indication of why the community is so vibrant (and probably wouldn't benefit from a split). I mean - can you imagine people getting ruffled feathers over such trivialities on a forum about, say, microwave ovens? We're a passionate bunch :D
that made me laugh :D - oh i hate the new dpad they introduced on my microwave oven! they'd rather stay with that oldstyle rotating knob!

LOL so enjoyed the microwave replies. Reminds me of the innate humour these boards DO have, when we've a mind to! Personally I'm looking forward to touchscreen microwave ovens, but I'm a bit worried the door might fall back when I press my stylus on it. Not cool if the microwave is operating at the time :(

DaveC said:
At least the idiots didn't put the screen on the back :p

Says who? The speakers are actually on the front, that's the back theya re showing in all the pictures...

DaveC said:
I don't get the Caanoo name? Is that like in boat? Maybe they should have named it the Titanic :p

Don't be silly. Shirley it should be the "Tiitaaniic"?

As for DaveC posting - as long as people ask him questions like "I don't see how you can...?" it would potentially be rude NOT to reply, especially as a supposed expert (or harsh critic) on controls for years back. That's not like coming in to bash the Caanoo just because it competes with an alternative, that's just conversation. IMHO.

Personally, I'm waiting for someone to open a book on what we see shipping first - the WiFi module from GPH or the TV-Out cables from OpenPandora! (what? It makes about as much sense as at least half of this thread!).

A lareger Wiz - predominantly for the larger screen - with working WiFi sounds like it could be interesting. But nothing beats end-user reviews :)

Last edited by a moderator:
klikklak said:
So let me get this straight: you don't have a wiz even for your collection, you will not get a caanoo even for purely capitalist reasons so your only reasons for posting here are spite and vehement hatred of koreans. Wow. Oh and jumping to any chance to make your own investment look good.
What can I say? -1.

How dare you associate Craig with capitalism, he wears a furry hat and drinks vodka! Da!

most of the discussion here is pointless, unfotunately, cause it´s trolled by ppl like craigx and alike...
it´s ok to say if smone doesn´t agree with decisions made by gph and why, but just flaming around is nothing but lame...
this is the OS-handheld-gaming community? it´s getting bad and worse... :(

Ghanji said:
most of the discussion here is pointless, unfotunately, cause it´s trolled by ppl like craigx and alike...
it´s ok to say if smone doesn´t agree with decisions made by gph and why, but just flaming around is nothing but lame...
this is the OS-handheld-gaming community? it´s getting bad and worse... :(
Well in all honesty the Pandora did start it. If that system was never going to happen then there wouldn't be this split that has been going on. Yeah people would come here and possibly talk up some GPH smack, but not to this degree. I have no problem with the Pandora or any other open hand held system. However it is getting really old these past couple years and it's a shame. As much as I'd hate to say it if the Pandora section wasn't here this whole flame baiting and gph bashing would be at least toned down to some degree. I wish craigix would be more like ED. ED gets much respect from me for keeping it to a mature level. No offense craigix. I do understand since you have dealt with them and have been disappointed by them for so long. However the comments are becoming quite tiresome. We get it.

klikklak said:
So let me get this straight: you don't have a wiz even for your collection,

He sent out all of us his to developers who wanted them. What's so negative about that?

klikklak said:
you will not get a caanoo even for purely capitalist reasons

Why should he get a Caanoo? What "purely capitalist reasons" does he have? Do you guys think that stocking every handheld ever made is sound business practice? craigix doesn't like the Caanoo but he also probably doesn't think it will sell (Wiz hasn't sold very well for him either), so from a financial standpoint stocking it makes no sense.

klikklak said:
so your only reasons for posting here are spite and vehement hatred of koreans.

Now you're saying he's racist??? I didn't see anything posted from him to suggest that he hates Koreans, and that's an extremely strong thing to accuse someone of. In fact I haven't seen any racist statements in this thread at all - SONY did say "leave it to the Japanese, Europeans, and Americans" or something like that, but just saying that China and Korea don't have a competitive gaming hardware market isn't saying you hate Chinese and Koreans. I really wish you wouldn't go there.

I just don't get it. People in this thread keep saying these things. Everyone is biased against GPH, it's all Pandora's fault, craigix is this and that. But then saying people are just racists is okay? This is totally unbalanced. I don't want to further bemoan my complaints regarding quote's and Nova's earlier posts since I think that's been largely cleared up, but you're adding new fuel to this fire and your comments are personal attacks that are way out of line. I don't understand why I seem to be the only one who isn't willing to tolerate this.

klikklak said:
Wow. Oh and jumping to any chance to make your own investment look good.

Not seeing that either. Disliking Caanoo isn't directly promoting Pandora. Even since Pandora's conception craigix has shown to like, support, and sell several other handhelds, particularly a number from China. Anyone can see Caanoo, like Wiz, won't be in Pandora's price class. Considering it a threat would be like considering Dingoo a threat, and craigix has been very supportive of Dingoo.

Like usual, I do feel compelled to point out that I don't blindly support craigix and have been pretty critical of a number of things he's done. I do think he hammers GPH pretty religiously and has some personal issues with them, but you guys are blowing this all vastly out of proportion.

Exophase said:
I don't understand why I seem to be the only one who isn't willing to tolerate this.

For my part, partly because I've been too argumentative already. If I post too many negative-sounding posts, I start getting PMs or getting insulting messages on-forum - and I felt about at quota plus somewhat... nonplussed about where the Korean thing came from. It appeared so far out of left field that I had no immediate response beyond "Huh?".

Exophase said:
Like usual, I do feel compelled to point out that I don't blindly support craigix and have been pretty critical of a number of things he's done. I do think he hammers GPH pretty religiously and has some personal issues with them, but you guys are blowing this all vastly out of proportion.

He does seem to have an axe to grind. I've been trying to keep my lip at least partially buttoned, because I don't want to get associated with racist slinging matches - for example, if I criticise Craigix for doing exactly some of the things he's blasted GPH for (let's not start that list in this post) will someone later recall I was on that "side" of the debate, and associate me with calling Craig anti-Korean?

It's a mess. The sooner this thread gets back to just the Caanoo and not about personalities or their past history, the better IMHO.

Exophase said:
Why should he get a Caanoo? What "purely capitalist reasons" does he have? Do you guys think that stocking every handheld ever made is sound business practice? craigix doesn't like the Caanoo but he also probably doesn't think it will sell (Wiz hasn't sold very well for him either), so from a financial standpoint stocking it makes no sense.

Not seeing that either. Disliking Caanoo isn't directly promoting Pandora. Even since Pandora's conception craigix has shown to like, support, and sell several other handhelds, particularly a number from China. Anyone can see Caanoo, like Wiz, won't be in Pandora's price class. Considering it a threat would be like considering Dingoo a threat, and craigix has been very supportive of Dingoo.

I suspect that Craigx didn't sell many Wiz consoles because he didn't like it and gave it negative reviews. With the gp32, he actively promoted it sponsoring programming contests, etc. At some point during the gp2x's life, craig lost interest in everything gamepark and was working mostly on the Pandora. How can you expect to sell a lot of the console you are giving bad reviews of, bashing in the most popular forums for the machine and selling it for more than the competition?

Chris

Pickle said:
Does the rumble feature do anything for anyone? For me it doesnt.

It does for me - I've quite enjoyed what "Force Feedback" I've experienced. Like colour, or stereo audio, it's another enhancement to the experience IMHO. Unless I misunderstand what 2rumble" is about. I'm a little concerned about how "rumble", as I perceive it, might conflict with an accelerometer/g-meter/whatever thingie though - I'd be annoyed if a rumble changed how the console interpreted my player-specified movements and caused me to die :(

craig didn't give Wiz especially bad reviews. He did a review comparing it to Dingoo and gave a lot of positive comments. Some people were outraged because ultimately he favored the Dingoo for being much cheaper.

A lot of people are blaming craigix for Wiz sales, but sales were not very good from ED's shop either, and ED was very positive about Wiz. Even though it's generally agreed that Wiz is better than both GP2X models, GPH's prior performance probably still hurt sales (on these forums there are many who say they had a GP2X and wouldn't buy a Wiz because they don't trust GPH's performance). It could also be that Wiz was viewed as providing too little added performance over GP2X.

Exophase said:
craig didn't give Wiz especially bad reviews. He did a review comparing it to Dingoo and gave a lot of positive comments. Some people were outraged because ultimately he favored the Dingoo for being much cheaper.

A lot of people are blaming craigix for Wiz sales, but sales were not very good from ED's shop either, and ED was very positive about Wiz. Even though it's generally agreed that Wiz is better than both GP2X models, GPH's prior performance probably still hurt sales (on these forums there are many who say they had a GP2X and wouldn't buy a Wiz because they don't trust GPH's performance). It could also be that Wiz was viewed as providing too little added performance over GP2X.

EvilDragon says he sells 2 Wiz per day, maybe a little more. I bet Craig has already sold more Pandoras than he ever sold of the Wiz.

EvilDragon said:
Pandora surely didn't kill the WIZ.
After a Press Release (which was about the Pandora) which gained publicity, I sold 7 WIZ a day (still sell at least 2 WIZ a day right now)

Before that happened, I sold about 3 per week...

I lack frame of reference on this, is 2 a day considered good? Either way, it would appear Pandora has helped Wiz sales far more than it has hurt them.

EvilDragon said:
Hardyx said:
sbock said:
The Wiz is canceled. Only 100 available units are on the way to EvilDragon's shop.
Are you sure of this? Could be a punctual out of stock.
If were true GPH or distributors would have announced it.

Well, that shouldn't have been revealed until the E3 in a few weeks, but yes, the WIZ will not be produced anymore. I stocked the last 100 and will have them in my shop soon.

So when are these last 100 going on sale? and at what price?

Exophase said:
I lack frame of reference on this, is 2 a day considered good? Either way, it would appear Pandora has helped Wiz sales far more than it has hurt them.
Would you rather mail out 2 Wiz per day, or 50 Pandoras? It's no wonder Craig isn't interested in selling the Wiz.

Hirolaser said:
EvilDragon said:
Hardyx said:
sbock said:
The Wiz is canceled. Only 100 available units are on the way to EvilDragon's shop.
Are you sure of this? Could be a punctual out of stock.
If were true GPH or distributors would have announced it.

Well, that shouldn't have been revealed until the E3 in a few weeks, but yes, the WIZ will not be produced anymore. I stocked the last 100 and will have them in my shop soon.

So when are these last 100 going on sale? and at what price?

Should be with me Monday in 1,5 weeks, normal EU-Price (125 EUR incl. VAT)

Last edited:
Sorry for entering "flame wars episode VII" unquestioned. I've been following this thread for days and I could hardly keep up. I wanted to reply but was stuck between shock and laughter. (BTW, the BBQ function of my microwave sucks.)

After all, I think WarmFluffy sums it up quite precisely:

WarmFluffyUK said:
... or possibly it's what the Wiz should have been?

I say, that's the reason why compatibility with the WIZ is a "must". I hope I don't get it wrong but I think, therefore, having the same SoC and screen resolution is also a "must" - or at least a "should have"??

I think, GPH have tried to improve it, though:

The screen (I really like it) has been bashed in a lot of threads - rather due to bad touch screen function - but also for the "black pixle" problem. We shouldn't forget that this may have been very expensive for GPH. I have read in some threads that the A/S center has been quite accomodating in that regard.

People have also complained about missing hardware volume control.

Also, I remember reading that people had problems with the WIZ's dpad (me included in terms of accuracy).

Maybe, adding more memory and a g-sensor doesn't hurt too much.

WiFi is supposed to work with both handhelds.

I think, people owning a WIZ, stating "I won't buy the Canoo (shit, I missed one a) got it right. If I understand it right, they aren't supposed to. Anyone who knows better, please correct me.

I, as a WIZ owner, am more concerned about the heat produced in this thread than the threat the caAnoo might cause to the WIZ in the end. It is a slight upgrade.

What worries me, though, is the analog vs. digital issue. This could be a problem for compatibility (maybe beside others, please don't start it). I can say that I don't have any emulator as I haven't got anything to emulate, but still. All the homebrew games already existing - I do like many of them - are coded for digital. Aren't they?

Now, instead of flaming and bashing around wouldn't it be better to start a poll or something? Or maybe an e-mail campaign or whatever? I don't know if anybody bothered to mail or PN Tony (I didn't yet)?

Now, you may go on with episode VIII.

No, sorry:
fettouhi said:
Things might change if the war between north and south korea breaks out (again).

That was neither funny nor helpful or in any way necessary. I am really concerned about these tensions and people are dying.

Now, that's it.

rds

kasi

Ari64 said:
Would you rather mail out 2 Wiz per day, or 50 Pandoras? It's no wonder Craig isn't interested in selling the Wiz.

Come on, you know this is a terrible comparison, those Pandoras orders were buffered over a period of ~1.5 years, the overall rate is more like 7 per day. Although I'm sure if they had more to sell they would have sold more.

I emailed Tony a few days ago, but I haven't heard back. Which is a tad weird because he usually returns emails very quickly. If he tells me anything new, I'll share, but he probably won't.

Exophase said:
He sent out all of us his to developers who wanted them. What's so negative about that?
No problem at all, it's a good thing. However it does display a strong dislike for the product.

Exophase said:
He runs a store that sells open handhelds. In order to make a profit, that's the capitalist reason. To put more interest in the iPhone or whatever, shows again a strong personal dislike of the company. OK, probably sound financial sense, I'm no salesman so I won't tell him how to run his company. Again, he has no interest in the product, so he's just bashing it for the sake of bashing.

klikklak said:
so your only reasons for posting here are spite and vehement hatred of koreans.
Exophase said:
Now you're saying he's racist??? I didn't see anything posted from him to suggest that he hates Koreans, and that's an extremely strong thing to accuse someone of. In fact I haven't seen any racist statements in this thread at all - SONY did say "leave it to the Japanese, Europeans, and Americans" or something like that, but just saying that China and Korea don't have a competitive gaming hardware market isn't saying you hate Chinese and Koreans. I really wish you wouldn't go there.

Err, no, I know I should have used the national name with caution. I was just referring to GPH, with, vernacular (I think that's what it's called). Again, no, craig has probably far more caution in regards to this issue that I do, him being from the highly multicultural Britain and I from the highly homogenic Helsinki. So, yes, I'd rather not go there either.

Exophase said:
I just don't get it. People in this thread keep saying these things. Everyone is biased against GPH, it's all Pandora's fault, craigix is this and that. But then saying people are just racists is okay? This is totally unbalanced. I don't want to further bemoan my complaints regarding quote's and Nova's earlier posts since I think that's been largely cleared up, but you're adding new fuel to this fire and your comments are personal attacks that are way out of line. I don't understand why I seem to be the only one who isn't willing to tolerate this.
Well, I won't say anything, since you're just blowing the 'lost in translation' bit out of proportion. Again, I did not mean that he thinks Koreans are whatever the racial slurs and stereotypes of this day are.

Exophase said:
Yes, but do you agree that craig has no interest in the product besides bashing/trolling it? That was the point in my post, now wasn't it?

Again, apologies for whoever got upset about this post. But the point has been made in multiple posts, craig is basically trolling.

Not to sound like a troll, but so far that thing is HORRIBLY DISAPPOINTING.

No built in WiFi. How do they expect this thing to be multiplayer when they're going to require everyone to get a dongle for it to do so?

Possibly back to LCD? After the Wiz's absolutely stunning AMOLED? Nevermind the lack of resolution increase or even the jump to widescreen. Granted since the systems this thing emulates aren't widescreen that's much less of an issue, but if they're serious about this thing being a movie player they'd better get with the 16:9 times.

MOTION CONTROLS? ON A PORTABLE? Wouldn't be so bad if this thing wasn't 90% emulators - none of which use motion controls!

No spec bump? The Wiz is currently struggling with PSX, N64, and even NeoGeo and SNES in some cases - and admittedly most of those could be ironed out with some good solid optimization from the scene, but a spec bump would eliminate virtually all of them in one fell swoop, and the scene isn't quite vibrant enough to where we can expect fullspeed PSX anytime soon, even though it could potentially happen. Even a small spec bump to 6-700mhz stock, 1ghz OC would make that much more feasible.

No dual analogs either? What's the point of making the normal joystick analog when that's the one that needs it less often since camera controls often need analog whereas movement controls rarely do?

Unless this thing has a battery that lasts 3x-4x longer than the Wiz and/or is seriously cheap (like 60 USD) it's a complete joke, IMO and there's no reason to replace the existing system. I can see nothing that makes this any better than the Wiz (and some that makes it worse), which is a perfectly fine system.

Rumble? On a handheld? Really? Great idea guys - throw in another battery suck on a system that has a need to be recharged every 4-7 hours!

I mean, I get it - they're trying to launch the system as a viable platform on its own - they want original games made for it, but I think that's just not terribly feasible. Am I missing out on the positively huge glut of Korean GPH games or something? AFAIK the only commercial games for the Wiz and its predecessors were the handful on GPH's site (like Asura Cross, Her Knights, etc). Trying to pretend this system will become some sort of competitive platform to the iPhone is just plain silly.

Ahh well, I guess in a way it's good - were this thing actually worth salivating over I'd be sad that I just bought a Wiz a few months ago, but as mediocre as this is, I can be perfectly content hanging onto my Wiz until the next next GPH console comes out and hopefully trumps it (I can't wait to have the Dreamcast library in my pocket - I think that that point my portable gaming nirvana will be achieved).

Back