Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

Exophase said:
Even though it's generally agreed that Wiz is better than both GP2X models, GPH's prior performance probably still hurt sales (on these forums there are many who say they had a GP2X and wouldn't buy a Wiz because they don't trust GPH's performance). It could also be that Wiz was viewed as providing too little added performance over GP2X.

I feel like GPH's prior performance was somewhat minor. In the end, it came down to there being an alternative for less than half the price. Wiz didn't offer enough to justify the $180 price tag. The Dingoo A320 was offering the same capability for a far lower price.

I'm disappointed that a lot of developers did not get the Dingoo, but plenty of others showed up and provided stellar support.

Caanoo is just another classic GPH mistake - taking away what we actually liked, offering too little new in return, and at way too high a price...simply expecting us to buy the crap they're shoveling. At the Caanoo or the Wiz price point, someone could just swing for the Odroid...it needs better community support, but it certainly has more potential. Unfortunately, it seems like hardkernel gave up on Odroid and ran off to the Odroid-T...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Does the rumble feature do anything for anyone? For me it doesnt.

well i think i could make use of it :)

i was also thinking of another game that i dropped, because it wouldn't work out well with the dpad, but would work out with the caanoo's stick.

Oh that's just great... The Wiz is getting much attention already so all we need is a new console for devs to get all hyped about... I guess with this one out and the pandora looming, it's bye-bye Wiz after this summer! Sob! How do they expect the scene to grow if the maximum time from the release of one console to another is two-and-a-half years? Especially when stuff gets developed/updated at the pace of once a year, or so, if it doesn't get abandoned on the way... I think I'm upset! :(

I also feel GPH are making the same mistakes all over again, as far as Caanoodle goes, as very accurately mentioned in the above posts... But only time will tell!

does GPH have a korean forum comunity? maybe they are listening to them and not us. If anyone knows korean, s/he should check that forum to see what they say, an what they think about the new stick, screen, g-sensor(WTF?!) , maybe they like that, and maybe ....bah i give up, can't find a logical reason to only listen to the local community, exept for "this is just for us, is you live in other country, consider yourself lucky that is has English in the languages menu" which isn't very logical....just saying....
I know some corporations do stupid stuff beacause they are stupid or for money, but GPH is suppoused to be more "open", shouldn't they listen to what they costumers want to?

There have been some koreans from gpain here and they've said that one of the things they complain is that GPH doesn't listen to them. :) Tony Han pops comes here sometimes, so IMO it's not that bad anymore.

On an another note, am I the only one who thinks that GPH have learnt a lot on how to make attractive designs? I think the Caanoo is pretty. Doesn't mean that I'll get one, I just think it's an attractive design.

The wiz was a quality unit, without a doubt - if Pandora gets to the same build quality and solid "feel" (and I think it will), I think the OP team will be very happy.

Even though I have a wiz, I'll get a canoe or whatever its called :p I love gadgets, I love open source, and I will do my bit to support GPH.

Cheers
Simon

The wiz was a quality unit, without a doubt - if Pandora gets to the same build quality

It doesn't seem like Pandora has actually achieved that yet - whether it be hardware or software issues, there's certainly a lot of complaints at the moment. I'm just hoping that by the time mine comes most, if not all, of the issues are sorted.

I've just thought of the perfect game for that joystick - Payback. Does anyone feel like contacting Apex Designs?
It would be cool with the rumble too.

Exophase said:
Ari64 said:
Would you rather mail out 2 Wiz per day, or 50 Pandoras? It's no wonder Craig isn't interested in selling the Wiz.

Come on, you know this is a terrible comparison, those Pandoras orders were buffered over a period of ~1.5 years, the overall rate is more like 7 per day. Although I'm sure if they had more to sell they would have sold more.
Well, Craig is planning to ship batch two of 4000 by October, and another 4000 around December or January. That's roughly 30-40 per day.

I know that what Craig plans to do and what actually happens aren't always the same, but I can see why he'd rather let ED deal with GPH.

laharl said:
i just hope GPH doesn't go bankrupt, but if this continues it will be hard to avoid......
I hear their Vocamaster brand is doing very well.

quote said:
I hear their Vocamaster brand is doing very well.

The thing is, a few years ago Vocamaster hardware was synchronized with GP2X hardware. The original Vocamaster used the F100 hardware, then the next iteration used the F200 hardware. With the release of the Wiz things diverged so that Vocamaster used Wiz internals but with F200 casing, controls, LCD, etc, the so-called F300. Now the latest Vocamaster is a completely new design that is not the least bit suited for gaming (but still has a heavy emphasis on PMP capabilities).

The point I'm getting at is that Vocamaster may stay afloat, but since the line has diverged from GPH's gaming products the two no longer support each other. If Caanoo sinks and Vocamaster remains successful then GPH won't go bankrupt, but they'd probably prefer to shift their resources into Vocamaster, and sustaining a gaming handheld will no longer be a small cost overhead because of two completely different hardware bases.

Exophase said:
The thing is, a few years ago Vocamaster hardware was synchronized with GP2X hardware. The original Vocamaster used the F100 hardware, then the next iteration used the F200 hardware. With the release of the Wiz things diverged so that Vocamaster used Wiz internals but with F200 casing, controls, LCD, etc, the so-called F300. Now the latest Vocamaster is a completely new design that is not the least bit suited for gaming (but still has a heavy emphasis on PMP capabilities).
Yes, thanks for the history.
Exophase said:
The point I'm getting at is that Vocamaster may stay afloat, but since the line has diverged from GPH's gaming products the two no longer support each other. If Caanoo sinks and Vocamaster remains successful then GPH won't go bankrupt, but they'd probably prefer to shift their resources into Vocamaster, and sustaining a gaming handheld will no longer be a small cost overhead because of two completely different hardware bases.
I don't see this selling any worse than the Wiz tbh. That did pretty badly, right? And they can't honestly think it will sell any better (after all, according to ED they're marketing it as a Wiz 'upgrade'). They're even in the process of designing their 'groundbreaking new handheld' which isn't connected to Vocamaster either. So GPH must either be making enough turnover from their gaming handheld side of things, or they think they can get better at it.

quote said:
I don't see this selling any worse than the Wiz tbh. That did pretty badly, right? And they can't honestly think it will sell any better (after all, according to ED they're marketing it as a Wiz 'upgrade'). They're even in the process of designing their 'groundbreaking new handheld' which isn't connected to Vocamaster either. So GPH must either be making enough turnover from their gaming handheld side of things, or they think they can get better at it.

I could easily see it selling much worse than Wiz. I'm going to guess that most people bought Wiz to emulate on. Caanoo won't offer anything new in that department, and will be less suitable for it due to the stick. The only way I can see it selling is if some really, really good commercial games are made for it (homebrew won't sell many units, never does). I think the odds of this happening are pretty slim, especially because these days it's much cheaper and easier than it used to be to start selling software over online distribution services for the big platforms (including iPhone), where you'll make much much more money than on a platform like Caanoo. The only appeal I see is for Korean developers wanting to support a Korean platform.

While they may be "working" on another future platform, ED suggests that it's in very early stages. Meaning that probably not an awful lot of money has been spent on it. Of course GPH thinks that a product like Caanoo can be successful and can support developemtn of future products, or they wouldn't be making it. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they're right.

I like my Wiz, but LCD screens wouldn't have the grain, right? Hate to be so shallow, but if it's affordable enough I might upgrade for that reason (I got a Wiz recently, but the grain bothers me quite a bit sometimes). It would have been nice if they took the effort to upgrade more, though.

If they upgraded more it would probably loose backward compatibility, which is essential this early into Wiz' life (in my opinion of course). I recently compiled Warehouse Panic for the GP2x (to be released soon), and i must say the bigger screen is very nice... but damn, the colors and contrast is meh...

I will probably get a Caanoo too (if the analogue stick is any good).

/Uni

It's weird how opinions on the Wiz's screen differ so much. I personally love it but as long as the LCD on the new console is good quality I really wouldn't mind. If it's at least as good as the Dingoo's screen then that would be fine. I know some people don't like it but I have no complaints. IMO it's better than the GP2X's screen.

Back