Pandora Can I Install On Pandora Other Operating Systems?

gargo

Still Fresh
I ask about Windows CE 6.0 because there are a lot of programs on it and many various developmrent tools. I legally will be getting this version of Windows next month (they wrote, that this disk contains versions for various CPUs: ARM, MIPS, ).

I don't know about windows CE (though I suspect not) but ports will be made of other linux versions like ubuntu

Kyosys said:
I don't know about windows CE (though I suspect not) but ports will be made of other linux versions like ubuntu
As far as ubuntu goes it probably just be easier to import the repositories from Gobuntu since its based on Debian. I could see maybe Fedora being ported, or hell.. just for fun windows 3.1 like they did for the ipaq. Hell, even windows ce for fun. I'll be amazed to see whats up and running on the pandora because some one, somewhere will go "Hmm.. It can't run 'insert OS here'... I need to port it!!!" BEOS ftw!

Last edited by a moderator:
gargo said:
I ask about Windows CE 6.0 because there are a lot of programs on it and many various developmrent tools. I legally will be getting this version of Windows next month (they wrote, that this disk contains versions for various CPUs: ARM, MIPS, ).
You'd need the BSP for CE 6.0 for the Pandora to make CE run on it. This entails the drivers for the varying components as Windows CE doesn't typically provide them.

Other OSes would depend on how much tech data/open source we get for things like the 2D and 3D support for the SGX.

I don't know what is the SGX.
BSP must be included into Windows CE distributive, because this distributive is nearly 31Gb.
And there is another way - using MSDos emulator. One of the emulators emulates the x86 CPU so well, that they have ever installed Windows98 on the PocketPC

gargo said:
they have ever installed Windows98 on the PocketPC
only installed? not running...

gargo said:
I don't know what is the SGX.
BSP must be included into Windows CE distributive, because this distributive is nearly 31Gb.
And there is another way - using MSDos emulator. One of the emulators emulates the x86 CPU so well, that they have ever installed Windows98 on the PocketPC
That would be a PowerVR GPU. As for the BSP, no, the BSP is the driver space and that's typically provided by the board vendors. And 31 Gb would sound about right for the source some of the BSP sets (but not all of them...) and the toolchains. That's only 3 or so DVD's worth of stuff- and MS ships a HECK of a lot more than that with the MSDN sets.

gargo said:
http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:lSA4I...;cd=1&gl=by

Heh... That would be for relatively small values of "running"...and if you're patient (for extremely large values of "patient"...).

The best you will see with Bochs on ARM is 286 performance levels without a dynarec core on the emulator- and on the PocketPC models, they don' t even have the same performance levels as we would on the Pandora. It'll boot. It'll give you a desktop, even. But trying to use it will be like my trying to run Win95 on a 386sx16 laptop with a 100Mb HD and 4Mb of RAM. It "worked", but it was more of a "because I can" act of computing evil than anything else. ;)

Sphinxter said:
No doubt some will be in a real big hurry to brick their device. See a lot of windows mobile devices with 128mb of ram or less out there?
Actually, there's quite a bit of 'em out there. You might not be able to run 6.0 on it, but the iPaq line until recently had 64Mb of RAM on it- and my GF left her Axim (also with 64Mb of RAM) for me to futz with it and possibly linuxfy it. ;)

Win CE actually runs in a decent footprint- it's just not a very useful OS overall, especially for embedded systems because 64-128Mb is more it's minimum these days. :D

Sphinxter said:
No doubt some will be in a real big hurry to brick their device. See a lot of windows mobile devices with 128mb of ram or less out there?
T-mobile MDA III. This is an ARM9 pocketpc phone with 128mb ram. Runs well too, decent wifi, bluetooth etc. (I'd still be using it if it didn't lose all programs and data when it loses all power)

Svartalf said:
Win CE actually runs in a decent footprint- it's just not a very useful OS overall, especially for embedded systems because 64-128Mb is more it's minimum these days. :D
May be WinCe is not very useful OS but it is very simple to write programs for it.

It's also very easy to write software for linux. Very easy these days.

The effort to make windows mobile or wince work on the pandora could be better spent in making the functionality you need from there crossplatform.

sindbad said:
It's also very easy to write software for linux. Very easy these days.
So can you adwice me anything look like Visual Studio. Your program could be old but it must be fast.

Tom Cooksey said:
What about porting Symbian, now it's going to be Open Sourced?

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8056168201.html

There's a whole lot of Symbian apps out there and I'm pretty sure it already supports the OMAP3.

It'd probably go- the big problem is going to be getting a BSP for Symbian for this device. Just because it supports the ARM CPU in the OMAP3, doesn't go to having the 2D/3D, etc supported in the Open Source release.

gargo said:
So can you adwice me anything look like Visual Studio. Your program could be old but it must be fast.
You could just use Visual Studio itself, with a cross compiler ;).

gargo said:
So can you adwice me anything look like Visual Studio.
How about Visual Studio? :)

(Or its free cousin, Visual Studio Express)

Lots of people use it for GP2X applications, it shouldn't be any different for creating Pandora apps.

I'm quite excited about Symbian being open sourced, it's an interesting little operating system.

The bit that worries me is the qualifier that they add, "within two years". It might be a bit old hat by then.

Back