Pandora Can I Install On Pandora Other Operating Systems?

randomhack said:
Squidge said:
Microsoft offers a free development environment for download (SDK + Editor + Compiler + Debugger, etc) to write applications, royalty free. This can optionally do security as well (ie, only allow trusted executables to run by signing them with a private key).

Hmm I am confused. Does MS offer free SDK to third party application developers for CE? For example, can I (a third party not related to the OS developer/device maker) just download the SDK for CE?
If I understand correctly, the CE SDK is free (or maybe comes with) if you have Visual Studio license but is not free for express editions.

Yes, the SDK is completely free of charge to anyone. You don't need a Visual Studio license - it comes with it's own IDE.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft make some of their tools in "express" version which is free. You can use it for develop opensource, freeware or even commercial ware. There is for example VisualStudio 2008 Express (free of charge), Professional and... (eh, some Enterprise kind). Versions differs in some IDE functionality.

MS directed developer's focus to .NET, as new platform that run on many Windows systems (read as Microsoft Windows systems). So you can run you .NET application without rebuilding on many OSes. For small pocket computers there is .NET CF (Compacf Framework) with some limitation for running .NET application on PDA na some other limitation on SmartPhones (without touch display).

OSSW project Mono try cover linux based OSes to run .NET application. I don't know much about Mono but that it provides own framework or platform to build and deploy .NET application for it. This is similiar to .NET CF for PDA as Mono has some nonimplemented functions and limitation opposite to MS .NET. Nowadays Novel funding Mono.

I really have to learn more about Mono, as our company headed to .NET development.

randomhack said:
Squidge said:
If I understand correctly, the CE SDK is free (or maybe comes with) if you have Visual Studio license but is not free for express editions.
Yes, the SDK is completely free of charge to anyone. You don't need a Visual Studio license - it comes with it's own IDE.

Ok so it appears that the older SDK (for upto PocketPC) is free-for-everyone and includes compiler, headers, IDE etc all of which can be downloaded for free. OTOH WinMobile 5/6 SDK is only for VS standard/professional/team etc customers and seems to be an addon to VS. Since the WinMobile 5/6 are probably backwards compatible, you will still be able run apps from the older SDK but wont be able to use any new libraries etc (assuming there was something new :p).

edit : the winmobile 5/6 sdk does not work with express editions.

randomhack said:
edit : the winmobile 5/6 sdk does not work with express editions.

You don't need it. You can develop direc fo .NET CF in VS Express Edition.
edit: Oh, I don't know if express edition support develop for .NET CF, but sure for full .NET. Just try it.

Doesn't WinMobile 5.0 use Windows® CE 5.0 ? In which case, the second link in my previous post?

Regardless, WinCE 5.0 apps will work on WinCE 6, and there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two.

Microsoft stopped supplying the Standard SDK with Windows® CE 6.0 as people were not using them anyway. So now 6.0 requires Visual Studio, and yes, Express editions are not supported.

Svartalf said:
Sphinxter said:
Claimed they could have a case in soft plastic in only a month, few other wild ones and the speaker box intones, "Linux is not free, work with us, we can make Microsoft free".
That, my friend, is rich- and if you had a recording of it that could be connected to a MS rep, that would be concrete proof of a Lanham Act violation. Damn shame you don't have one. I would love to tie 'em up with one more consequence of their actions.

I took names and jotted down that quote in a palm, best I could do sorry. Fortunately for me I had a two month head start and the boards and cases were already on their way and I got to finish but I lost considerable sleep while they howled outside my door. Was still up in the air when the VP of technology had bought I think a 92 carrera on ebay and flown to Phoenix to pick it up and drive it home. About Vegas or so it started doing what most of that year without modification do, leak oil onto the manifolds. He'd paid about 3k too much and the modifications to make the leaks manageable was about 3.5k. He'd lost interest and wanted an NSX anyway and was going to unload it at a loss when one of the sales guys, popped up, "I've always wanted one of those", and bought it off him and covered his loss. People often wonder why I'm such a pissed off foaming at the mouth rabid M$ hater.

Sphinxter said:
People often wonder why I'm such a pissed off foaming at the mouth rabid M$ hater.
Heh... I've not been at the receiving end of anything quite that slimy; but I've watched it go down far too often to count. "Corrupt" doesn't even begin to describe it.
It still amazes me to this day that people are willing to buddy up to this bunch- they'll do ANYTHING to maintain that sale and their market "presence". You're either
a source of revenue, a company to be devoured for resources, or a company to be destroyed in MS' eyes... Honest.

With that in mind, why would you WANT to do anything with any of their stuff? :D

It's trying to get clean again is the tough part. The project started off a bit oddly, got a call from an agency I'd never heard of, good hour and a half away, said they couldn't divulge any details but would pay for an interview and consultation. I arrive cold at the meeting with the client and am immediately handed a board, "We'd like these built". When I say board I mean a 10 inch slice of a 2x6 painted red with a black square marker inked for the display and a groove sawn along one edge for a card reader. "We'd like you to put linux on this.", bit of awkward silence as I realize they're waiting for me to say something. I look at the board and say, "Sure, not a problem", tapping it on the table, "this pine or douglas fir?".

Gas on fire, cause that's what nice people do.

The comfort of familiar APIs and tools is not worth the risk and hassle of dealing with M$.

It bothers me deeply that a few people (gargo included) in this thread seems be mixing up the IDE with the programming language...

And yes, ignorant developers who haven't tried coding for more than one platform may choose windows over linux, but i personally find it to be a living HELL developing for windows.

Ravnos said:
Good article.
Indeed it is. I think the tidbit that not so many know about, that they settled out of court with Digital for 150 million for cribbed VMS code in NT, is telling. They weren't this powerhouse back then- that wasn't chump change for them and they kept it VERY quiet.

Micket said:
It bothers me deeply that a few people (gargo included) in this thread seems be mixing up the IDE with the programming language...
That's because MS muddled up the two- if you've done nothing but Windows coding, you might led to believe that the IDE IS the language.

And yes, ignorant developers who haven't tried coding for more than one platform may choose windows over linux, but i personally find it to be a living HELL developing for windows.

Indeed. Microsoft can't seem to get "simple" in their heads with their APIs- moreover, they can't seem to keep consistency in there either or designing for future use. Everything gets layered in and then deprecated to support that "backwards compatibility".

There has been a bit ot talk about WinCE and WinMobile. I want to make something clear. The two are very different.

Though WM5 is based on WCE5 developing for one or the other can be quite different.

Moving to the new version, WCE6 is based on WM6. WCE was some what abandon for a long time. 6 I believe is still beta though it may have launched by now. The differences here may be less than in 5 though but I do not know for sure as after I managed to get WM6 installed on an HTC TyTn I sold it and gave up on WM/WCE.

Just be careful about using windows mobile and windows ce interchangeably because they are not.

IceBerg303 said:
There has been a bit ot talk about WinCE and WinMobile. I want to make something clear. The two are very different.

Though WM5 is based on WCE5 developing for one or the other can be quite different.

Moving to the new version, WCE6 is based on WM6. WCE was some what abandon for a long time. 6 I believe is still beta though it may have launched by now. The differences here may be less than in 5 though but I do not know for sure as after I managed to get WM6 installed on an HTC TyTn I sold it and gave up on WM/WCE.

Just be careful about using windows mobile and windows ce interchangeably because they are not.
Your post sounded a bit like my sig, Lol

Ok, I`m leaving. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Back