Can The Gp2x Play Ogg Speex?

no is not possible with basic Gp2x audio player but i think it possible via ffplay but i have not tested it ;)

Yod4z posted on May 9 2006 at 12:53 PM said:
no is not possible with basic Gp2x audio player but i think it possible via ffplay but i have not tested it ;)

64KBPS for for ogg is pretty much good.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using the commandling ogg encoder, there is an option for, otherwise use an audio-editing software of your choice to resample the file to 11,025khz or 16khz mono and use ogg quality -1.
Results in files with a bitrate of 10-20 kbp/s

And isn't speex only for streaming...? Is speex in an ogg fline not a hack? Hmm, maybe you try madplaygp2x.

Greetings
Michael

Speex isn't a hack, it's a sound format made specifically for speech. The builtin music player does not currently play speex files.

For getting comparable music in ogg as you would in mp3, take the mp3 bitrate you would normally listen to (128, 160, 256, etc.), cut it in half, and add 5-10kbps. It will probably sound the same, if not better. If you listen to 128kbps mp3s, 64-80kbps (q0 - q1) will sound fine to you.

Ogg is more of a container for the Vorbis music/general purpose audio codec, FLAC lossless audio codec, speex speech audio codec, and theora video codec. I believe those are all the codecs supported by ogg, officially. Most people use the term Ogg when refering to Vorbis. Also, FLAC and speex may not always come in an Ogg container because I think they were already established projects that were merged into the Ogg project, so their original containers may still be used.

The established convention is (supposed to be) .OGM for the Ogg Media container, and .OGG for Vorbis sound using the Ogg container. OGM can contain many types of streams (I think) Video, Multi-Audio tracks, subtitles (?), and probably other stuff (text, for meta info or liner notes or whatever).

Oh, forgot to mention OGM and OGG Should be 100% compatible. However your app may/may-not have Speex/FLAC/Vorbis/Theora/Blah decoder libraries/modules/plugins available or whatever.

Many .ogm files are usually mpeg-4/divx/xvid videos with Vorbis audio. Some coder hacked them together because Vorbis is a good choice for audio coding and mpeg-4 was (still is, I think) much better than Theora for video. The Ogg project doesn't allow proprietary formats to use the official Ogg container, so the Ogg project won't standardize that .ogm format and include it with the rest of the Ogg specifications.

Back