Can't Find Good Snes Emulator

WarmFluffyUK posted on Oct 4 2006 at 12:49 PM said:
It's a shame it doesn't run may favourite game on the SNES, Starfox. But I am guessing that's because Starfox had extra hardware in the cartridge for the 3D engine of the game :unsure:

Yeah: Star Fox used Argonaut's SuperFX chip. So that's extra hardware to emulate. It would be good if it can eventually be emulated... but stock SNES has to become full speed first :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw combine + SquidgeSnes with MMU hack + 266Mhz + RAM Hack (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=32319)
and you'll get fullspeed w/ sound in most games. FF6 with fs2 ~50fps most of the time... Super Mario Kart fs2 15fps, still very playable... Donkey Kong Country 3 40-50fps... Chrono Trigger 60fps when running around, 30fps in battles..

Count me among those who would prefer playable (30 fps) GBA over SNES. I'm probably dreaming right?

I was always under the impression that they shared some core components, in order to facilitate porting.

Anyhoo, is Earthbound playable? Yoshi? Those were my two fav's. Is there a list?

Is there a link which describes the problems with getting love from the 2nd processor?

Wolfsclaw posted on Oct 4 2006 at 01:46 PM said:
Super Mario Kart fs2 15fps, still very playable...

eh? i get 20fps in mario kart with sound and fs1 at 270mhz...

Whoops I looked again in my SSNES settings and you're right, it was fs0 not fs2 :D

@markiej: earthbound is highly playable, however yoshis island doenst run because of a special chip (or smth).

yoshis island and star fox use the super fx2 chip i think which makes them so hard to emulate. and mario kart and dkc use some special chips too. but i really think we will see a perfect snes emulator in the future, i mean we are already darn close to it right?

apgunner posted on Oct 4 2006 at 06:33 AM said:
oo the dev's aren't absent minded they just don't know how i see
It's not they don't know how. The second core doesn't have it's own MMU, which stands for Memory Management Unit. Every processor needs to comunicate with memory, because there is where data is stored. That's why if the second core doesn't have it's own MMU, it has to use the first core's MMU (correct me if I'm wrong). That's why using second core gives you more MHz but the memory bandwidth has to be shared between these two cores.

Sorry to appear thick but i downloaded squidgesnes 0.37 which ran terrible, 20fps max and crackling sound. People mention the hack, when i download this and run it, it will go back to the main menu?

You talk about overclocking to get better FPS, do you mean o/clock via a new frontend or does the squidgesnes hack allow you to overclock?

Which is the "best" version of squidgesnes? paste a link?

kardasan posted on Oct 4 2006 at 04:35 PM said:
It's not they don't know how. The second core doesn't have it's own MMU, which stands for Memory Management Unit. Every processor needs to comunicate with memory, because there is where data is stored. That's why if the second core doesn't have it's own MMU, it has to use the first core's MMU (correct me if I'm wrong). That's why using second core gives you more MHz but the memory bandwidth has to be shared between these two cores.

I think you're both right and wrong:
http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Facts_about_the_ARM940T_processor

It uses a PU rather than an MMU..... However both processors cannot access the RAM at the same time, and the 940 has such a small chache! People do know how to use the core, just not that many. I'm one of the people who does not know how to use it. I'm not completely sure, but maybe you have to write some ARM assembler to use it? I doubt there would be a --use-920-and-940T compiler flag. XD

If someone knows any better, feel free to correct.

As for the topic, I agree that the current snes emulators are not that great regarding speed @ 200mhz, but luckily I'm not a big snes fan, so I'm quite happy to wait for a long time whilst the geniuses who're in-the-know work on it. Better GBA emulation would be lovely, but I'm not anticipating anything.

I'm not sure some of the newer members are using the correct file. This is the latest:

pepone @ Jul 3 2006 posted on 02:01 PM said:
Here is a version with mmu hack who let you choose between autoframeskip and classic frameskip.
I didn't test it very much, so it may be buggy
http://m.peponas.free.fr/gngeo/download/sq...esnes_0.37c.zip

Ps: turning Autoframeskip on disable vsync, fpslimiter and classic frameskip as it's incompatible and/or redondant.

And to overclock either use gmenu2x or even better look at the thread wolfsclaw posted the link to, where you will find a script with both overclocking and RAM timings (you must get the v2 cpu speed utility first).

Thanks gaterooze. I was lost in various versions that kicks you out after loading.

its still booting me out with version 0.37c. Says something about command line on a black screen before it exits. its in sd/emulators/squidgesnes/ roms are in sd/roms/snes

IIRC that version needs some of the files from the original 0.37 zip file. Try unzipping the older 0.37 version onto your SD, then just replace the files with those from the newer 0.37c zip.

Okay, to make things easier, I've put all the files you need, already set up in one zip. Try this (*put roms in /roms/snes/):

http://home.exetel.com.au/gaterooze/squidg...037c-RAM266.zip

Unzip to your SD (with full paths), then run the snes.gpe in the root (can move it anywhere later). As long as you can overclock to 266 it should work fine--if it doesn't, let me know.

If you can't reach that speed (or want to try higher), edit the snes.gpe with a text editor which saves with Unix file endings (VERY IMPORTANT), then where it says "--cpuclk 266" just change the number to whatever you can reach.

Back