CaSTaway killed my AtariST dir

frolik

Bass Invader
Website
Visit site
I was in the middle of a gruelling game of Dungeon Master on CaSTaway when the FLU went off indicating batterys need replacing, so I dropped a quick savestate - pressed the start button to bring the menu to check the save had finished (screen was flickering) then turned off the gp32

When I booted back up the entire ATARIST directory was empty, somehow corrupted as there was no extra disk space freed up from the hasty removal.

All my saves & disks gone :angry:

Tried the SMC recovery and Windows Scandisk :unsure: nothing!

Anything else I should try before I format?

Thats interesting; I wonder if writing while batteries low kills SD? I killed my SD card a couple weeks back just as the batteries were getting low, and I was using something else and fiddling with the files on the card. I wonder if the batteries are low, writes fail or something. Interesting..

jeff

Same thing happend to me, not killing the whole directory, but leaving CaSTway unplayable. This is a hardware problem. Better don't transfer files or save with low batteries, file-corruption may be the result. When the screen begins to flicker, its already to late ...

Thanks for your replies, I tried some freeware fat recovery tool from download.com which found the lost data but strung it together in a couple of large files as one big data soup! Think it's definately time to format tho

I suppose some kind of on-screen battery meter is not possible then? Or a Low-Batt warning...

Well it's not the end of the world, just an 8 hour civilisation session and a couple of hours spent on DM.... but hey, they're well worth the replay!

Thanks for your replies, I tried some freeware fat recovery tool from download.com which found the lost data but strung it together in a couple of large files as one big data soup! Think it's definately time to format tho
Well, yeah... once you use scandisk (or chkdsk) there is no possibility for a good recovery tool to restore your files...

Scandisk (or chkdsk) only restores the disk to a usable system, it doesn't care about data a lot...

Last edited:
windows scandisk didn't find/fix any errors on the smc- it was data recovery software I used that did this, I wasn't expecting too much anyway

/me remembers all those file0001.chk files from chkdsk days

Back