Cave Story ~~ Doukutsu Monogatari

Oncer

Website
Visit site
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,26,2291
csscrs.png

Whoa, where the hell did this suddenly come from? :)

Currently extracting this to my SD card. Takes kind of long though due to the high ammount of files ("The Egoboo syndrome", let's call it)

Never played the PC version of this game. Guess that if I find this interesting, I'll try the PC version of it.
:)

Here are some links (also from the readme)
Links:
------
. http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022293/
-- Homepage of Pixel, unmodified (Japanese) version of the game

. http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=cavestory
-- Homepage of Aeon Genesis, original English translation

. http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/
-- Cave Story fansite, Deluxe version (highly recommended),
walkthroughs, hacking guides, etc.

. http://doukutsu.livejournal.com
-- Cave Story community

The controls for the GP2X build:
B: jump
X: shoot
Stick: move
Select: map
Start: inventory
L,R: change weapon

Nice one!

I ve heard a lot about this game but never tried it...

It's looking very good

Congratulation for the port !

A way to get around lack of high-res timers is to wait for a conservatively low value (in your case, 80 should hopefully do it) then spin lock until it hits. Unfortunately this will use CPU..

Really the audio engine should not be based around a timer of your design but around an audio callback. Since that's probably the idea behind the one Cave Story implements then I'm sure you can migrate it to this.

o very nice job simon, after one of my favourite game, alex 4, you just released the port of the best 2D homebrew !!!

thanks thanks and thanks !

Is there a way by which we can donate to this fine project? Also, I think it would be nice to organize a thank you for Pixel's permission as well. I'm sure Shih Tzu would help out.

This game is great! A job very well done, it's already playing smoothly. Controls
are tight, saving works. WHAT A BLAST!

I have created 2 little icons:

doukutsu.png

doukutsu-hw.png

Cheers
Sebastian

A way to get around lack of high-res timers is to wait for a conservatively low value (in your case, 80 should hopefully do it) then spin lock until it hits. Unfortunately this will use CPU..

Can you explain this in a little more detail? To do a spinlock I would need a very accurate method of measuring time, right? SDL_GetTicks() still has a granularity of 1ms.

Really the audio engine should not be based around a timer of your design but around an audio callback. Since that's probably the idea behind the one Cave Story implements then I'm sure you can migrate it to this.

The mixer uses a callback. Only the music engine uses a timer to play notes. Everytime the timer is triggered the next note is being played. Depending on the speed of the current track the timer value is adjusted. So I not only have 86 ms, but also funny values like 105, 88, 128, etc. depending on the music being played.
Instead of this timer I could use a thread, like while (music_playing) { SDL_Delay(speed); PlayNote(); } or something. But this would probably lead to race conditions. Also, an additional thread isn't the best idea.

Is there a simple way to exit the game...???

Press Start+Select simultaneously. Do that again to exit. R to reset and B to return to the game.

Is there a way by which we can donate to this fine project? Also, I think it would be nice to organize a thank you for Pixel's permission as well. I'm sure Shih Tzu would help out.

You can donate by either making a cool port/project yourself, or by helping me with the remaining issues. I for myself don't take anything.
A thank you to Pixel would be really nice.

That's a great port for a great game, thanks a lot Simon ;)

The use of mmuhack.o module would be usefull,no?

The use of mmuhack.o module would be usefull,no?

I'll try it. I suppose it only makes sense for the HW accelerated (upper memory) build.

I have created 2 little icons:

That's nice, but I already have the icons Pixel used for his Windows builds. The release will of course include an icon.

Ask Notaz if he could help?

P.S. Hope you will make next version overwritable, don't want to take that long installing again. :p

Woooaaah, just played a while, FANTASTIC game (I knew it was good, but I never wanted to play this game on my PC... as it's no fun playing such games on the PC), but it fits PERFECTLY on the gp2x!

I love it already, THANKS :D

Draken said:
Ask Notaz if he could help?

P.S. Hope you will make next version overwritable, don't want to take that long installing again. :p
I can't see the data files needing to be replaced. It's entirely likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have played this for over 2 hours today, right after downloading! It's really good. The SW Blitter version runs fine for me but obviously it would be great if HW blitting could be used and we could even underclock... it's really really playable though, very smooth. And I have to agree with ED... it plays like it's been made for the gp2x, never had as much fun with it on the computer.

Back