Doukutsu Monogatari ~ Cave Story

This game is the best parts of Metroid and Zelda (Legend of, ect) COMBINED.

If you are reading this post, and haven't downloaded it; GET IT NOW!

S'good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Series-8 said:
I will, just as soon as the cramfs version is available, and not before. No game is worth 13mb of wasted space :)

D.

Dunny said:
Series-8 said:
I will, just as soon as the cramfs version is available, and not before. No game is worth 13mb of wasted space :)

D.

Actually, this one is. But it wuld be more worth it if there wasn't such a huge space wastage going on...

argh. was a few hours thru when my visiting uncle picked up my geepee and proceeded to "New Game".

now i'm back to pre-rocket launcher!

thanks uncle.

Tobriand said:
Dunny said:
Series-8 said:

Actually, this one is. But it wuld be more worth it if there wasn't such a huge space wastage going on...

I've played the PC version. It's not worth wasting 13mb, believe me. It's good, yes, but not that good.

D.

Simon Parzer said:
Ok, I'll do another release. This time with cramfs support and the GP2X TextBox.pbm. Probably Wednesday or Friday as I haven't got much time.
Cool. :)

Series-8 said:
This game is the best parts of Metroid and Zelda (Legend of, ect) COMBINED.

S'good stuff.
Somehow it sounds like Metroid music, when you pick up a heart container....or am I wrong? ^^"

kanzlr said:
somehow i really dont care about these 13 MBytes :)
Yes, but when you can have just 3MB Game Size and half a dozend of files instead of 13MB Game Size and 400Files, why not? ;)

Dunny said:
I've played the PC version. It's not worth wasting 13mb, believe me. It's good, yes, but not that good.

D.
What is wrong with you?

fusion_power said:
Yes, but when you can have just 3MB Game Size and half a dozend of files instead of 13MB Game Size and 400Files, why not? ;)
Cause maybe we don't want to flash with the cramfs firmware ;) I don't think that was updated for awhile and it may not run everything.

DaveC said:
Cause maybe we don't want to flash with the cramfs firmware ;) I don't think that was updated for awhile and it may not run everything.
Heh, what a complete and utter idiot you truly are DaveC....

I'll keep this simple for you so you can understand. cramfs is what is known as a filesystem. A filesystem is used to store files in such a way that you can find them again later on. cramfs is a compressed filesystem. The 'cramfs firmware' used the cramfs filesystem, hence the name (presumably for the speed, compression and read-only nature of cramfs). A cramfs filesystem stored in a file can be mounted on the GP2X as 'loopback'. This means you can access the filesystem as if it were a normal storage device. cramfs will run on any Linux kernel with support built in. The GP2X's standard kernel build can support cramfs. As such, you can use a cramfs filesystem on the GP2X.

DaveC said:
fusion_power said:

I had the whole story understood the way, that cramfs is just a method to compress a software with no Firmware and such stuff involved. So just install the game like every other game and use it like every other game with the only difference, that the game data files are now in an archive. ^^"

Draco said:
Dunny said:
What is wrong with you?

Nothing - why, should I be raving about this game? Yes, I want to play it - but it's just an adventure game when all is said and done. FWIW, I never found many "rpg" style games all that engaging, from the old SNES games through to the later Zeldas (OOT was particularly dull, even having played it through to the end).

I appreciate that the guy who wrote this was just one man on his own, and that is in itself and achievement, but the game is distinctly above average and no more, in my opinion. Maybe it's because when I was at my most impressionable there was only the zx81 (and later Spectrum/C64) available for games, and the whole concept of RPGs was a long way off - when they did arrive, I was already spoiled with games of far more depth and playability. Kids that grew up with the NES and SNES, however, will have different views of what constitutes a good game, I suppose.

Still looking forward to playing this though, just in a more sane filesystem.

D.

I really enjoyed playing this yesterday. The controls are good on the Gp2X and the character design is nice.
I didn't played it long but I beated the 1rst boss.
I like the story mode, even if I must admit I didn't read all the texts.
Good work Panzer :)

fusion_power said:
I had the whole story understood the way, that cramfs is just a method to compress a software with no Firmware and such stuff involved. So just install the game like every other game and use it like every other game with the only difference, that the game data files are now in an archive. ^^"
well it wouldn't be right to call it a compression method. like orkie said it's a complete filesystem, that happens to be compressed. but if you put the whole filesystem end to end in a file, it's like having an image of a CD, and then mounting as loopback is like mounting that image as a virtual drive.

except *nix doesn't use drive letters (which, once you stop using them, show themselves to be a really terrible interface metaphor).

however, the game has to be modified so that it knows to grab those files from /mnt/cramfs or whatever it ends up being rather than mnt/sd. but that's up to simon as he's already volunteered his time and effort for a great port and i think it'd be rude to treat that work as less important than a few MBs. plus, i have plenty of space :D

i think the game is great...but i grew up in the thick of the NES days, surrounded by platformy-adventury-things like metroid, zelda 2, megaman, shatterhand, who framed roger rabbit, so it's hard not to love it.

rokdcasbah said:
however, the game has to be modified so that it knows to grab those files from /mnt/cramfs or whatever it ends up being rather than mnt/sd. but that's up to simon as he's already volunteered his time and effort for a great port and i think it'd be rude to treat that work as less important than a few MBs. plus, i have plenty of space :D
If you have a data directory, you can simply mount the data image onto that directory with a script before launching the executable. I did it for the compatibility mode with Open2x (and them vimacs did the same modification with egoboo). It is also possible to include pretty much the entire thing inside a cramfs image and have a copy of the config files outside the image to mount --bind over those contained within the image (since it's read-only).

A short explanation to the users without experience:
It's similar to a ZIP archive with the difference that the gp2x can use it directly without uncompressing :D

EvilDragon said:
A short explanation to the users without experience:
It's similar to a ZIP archive with the difference that the gp2x can use it directly without uncompressing :D
And this is done out of the box? Nothing else to install and no firmware to upgrade in any special way?
I might get my GP2X this week, hopefully, and would like to try this out but doesn't want to start fiddling around with risky stuff.

If you have a data directory, you can simply mount the data image onto that directory with a script before launching the executable.

Exactly what I did.

1.03 due today.

Back