Doukutsu Monogatari ~ Cave Story

Talk to the guy behind the hole. He'll give you a key. Then go to all the way to the right and try to get up to the building there, that's where the gum is. :) (just press the jump button when the air pushes you, you'll see what I mean when you're there)

!!!
Woo-hoo!

Cave Story ranks as one of my favorite games to play, and every time I would play it on my comp I would think "Wouldn't this be great on the gp2x?"
I never thought that anyone would port it though!

D/Ling now!

-Arch

p.s. Made my day :)

This is wonderful news! I've played through part of it on PC and think its a great game and wonderful addition to the GP2x platform.

But... It won't run for me, it hangs on a black screen whenever I try to run either version. I've been away from the scene for a while, so I'm not sure if there is something else I need to install to get this up and running. I'm running Version 2.0.0 of the GPH Firmware, is that a problem?

Thanks so much for porting this great game over!

But... It won't run for me, it hangs on a black screen whenever I try to run either version. I've been away from the scene for a while, so I'm not sure if there is something else I need to install to get this up and running. I'm running Version 2.0.0 of the GPH Firmware, is that a problem?

Sounds weird, especially as the game, as well as the beta version worked for almost everybody.
I'd say, redownload and reinstall (delete it from your SD card before that). Don't forget to "remove device" under Windows before plugging whatever you use to write to the SD out.

Then report back if it still won't work.

Unrelated:
I found something out about the graphical glitches with the hardware blitter. It seems to be a bug with the MMSP2 (either the chip itself or paeryn's implementation). Maybe I can do a workaround.

Simon Parzer said:
Sounds weird, especially as the game, as well as the beta version worked for almost everybody.
I'd say, redownload and reinstall (delete it from your SD card before that). Don't forget to "remove device" under Windows before plugging whatever you use to write to the SD out.

Hmmm, still not working. re-downloaded - I tried on two SD cards, and used 'remove device' this time. Didn't try that initially.
Cards are formatted FAT32. Firmware version 2.0, not sure what the issue might be. I dropped my GP2X a couple months ago (knocked the joystick shaft through the top of my DaveC Cap :( ) and haven't messed around with it much since then. Something may be wrong with the machine, as it seems to do the loading screen freeze about 30% of the time now. Checked other games and they run though... Ohh well, I wouldn't worry about it if no one else reports a problem. I'll keep fiddling and see if I can resolve. I'm very angious to play as it sounds like a superlative port!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it makes you feel any better ingrin, it's not just you. I downloaded the v1.00 version last night, plumped it onto my card, fired it up... and got a black screen. Both versions (HW & SW). The B1 beta works a treat.

I haven't had time to play with it since then, but since Simon said you should only need to update the .gpe files when it goes to v1.00 (as it has), I was gonna try copying those of the new version into the directory of the old beta and see what happens.

So unless the beta doesn't work for you either, it's not (just) your machine. Wanted you to know that.

Great to know! Is the Beta still up? looks like the original post was edited with the public release. If you happen to have a link to the beta, let me know and I will test tomorrow. I'm excited and looking forward to playing.

ingrin said:
Simon Parzer said:

Hmmm, still not working. re-downloaded - I tried on two SD cards, and used 'remove device' this time. Didn't try that initially.
Cards are formatted FAT32. Firmware version 2.0, not sure what the issue might be. I dropped my GP2X a couple months ago (knocked the joystick shaft through the top of my DaveC Cap :( ) and haven't messed around with it much since then. Something may be wrong with the machine, as it seems to do the loading screen freeze about 30% of the time now. Checked other games and they run though... Ohh well, I wouldn't worry about it if no one else reports a problem. I'll keep fiddling and see if I can resolve. I'm very angious to play as it sounds like a superlative port!

Maybe you have to install SDL libs on your gp2x. Check the archive for that :
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,31,869

Draken said:
Talk to the guy behind the hole. He'll give you a key. Then go to all the way to the right and try to get up to the building there, that's where the gum is. :) (just press the jump button when the air pushes you, you'll see what I mean when you're there)
I got that key allready and opened the power room with it. So i guess i need to find a other key somewhere :(

edit nm :)

Great to know! Is the Beta still up? looks like the original post was edited with the public release. If you happen to have a link to the beta, let me know and I will test tomorrow. I'm excited and looking forward to playing.

http://simonparzer.kilu.de/gp2xDoukutsu-b1.tar.gz

I'll see if there are any differences in the data folder, maybe that's the reason.. EDIT: nope, the data folder is the same.
Upgrading from beta to 1.00: delete the two .gpe files and copy doukutsu, doukutsu.gpe, doukutsu-sw and doukutsu-sw.gpe in place. If you want to be able to change the buttons, copy gp2x_buttons.txt, too.

Wow! Just wow!!!

I guess now that when I upload this in my SD, it will be my favorite GP2X game for ages! I have already played the PC version since a long and it simpyl rocks!

p.s. I just gotta get some good longing batteries first though ;P

Very nice game, suddenly I was at the first ending :lol: But of course this wasn't the real one I think.
The game gets very hard at the end I think, especiually, when the savepoint is just after the boss. So sometimes you have to fight all the way to the boss and then dealing the boss and if you die you start from the beginning of the level (egg Corridor 2. visit for example) and sometimes the long cut scenes before a boss are really annoying because they can't be skipped completely.

The system, that weapon upgrades get lost when you hitted by enemy is new for me. Weird but you can live with it. And I've found out, that the machine gun is a way better jetpack than the booster pack :lol: Can save alot of time at the end. :)

This game is awesome. Many thanks for porting it.

Any chance you can talk some other Japanese devs into giving you their source code? (La Mulana) ;)

Simon Parzer said:
http://simonparzer.kilu.de/gp2xDoukutsu-b1.tar.gz

I'll see if there are any differences in the data folder, maybe that's the reason.. EDIT: nope, the data folder is the same.
Upgrading from beta to 1.00: delete the two .gpe files and copy doukutsu, doukutsu.gpe, doukutsu-sw and doukutsu-sw.gpe in place. If you want to be able to change the buttons, copy gp2x_buttons.txt, too.

Thanks! Beta works (and works wonderfully!) I will look into copying the 1.00 gpe files over later today as well. I might also try to install the SDL libs although I'm fairly certain I did that last year.

Im had my first ending and now Iam giving my eyes a break. This game is how games should be.

Back