Doukutsu Monogatari ~ Cave Story

Thanks! Beta works (and works wonderfully!) I will look into copying the 1.00 gpe files over later today as well. I might also try to install the SDL libs although I'm fairly certain I did that last year.

That bothers me a bit. I mean, I didn't change a lot between beta and release. And the data files should be exactly the same.
Do you have any means to debug the game, read the stdout or something? It really would be of interest what went wrong for you.

Has anybody else had problems with the 1.00 release? BTW, there will be 1.01.

I had problems with v1.00 in that it wouldn't start, but it seemed to be missing a file (?) so I redownloaded and it worked fine.

... the only problem I have now (that I didn't have with the beta) is when I exit (using Start+Select twice) it doesn't go back to gmenu2x like it used to - it hangs at a black screen.

A minor problem though, since if I'm not playing this I don't need my GP2X on anyway! :)

I can't believe I never heard of this before. This game is an absolute delight to play. The controls are simple and responsive, (although I would rather jump with X and shoot with A) and the characters are cute and colorful. I love the dialog too. My children are going to love this.

Awesome game. This is going to get a lot of play...

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

pferguso said:
The controls are simple and responsive, (although I would rather jump with X and shoot with A)
You can change it in the gp2x buttons file that comes with this release. I changed mine to jump with B and shoot with X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos said:
pferguso said:
The controls are simple and responsive, (although I would rather jump with X and shoot with A)
You can change it in the gp2x buttons file that comes with this release. I changed mine to jump with B and shoot with X.

Thanks for the info! I'm changing the controls right now. :)

How can I survive the last bosses of the game? Somehow at the end there are only boss after boss but no savpoint or refill station between them and I really need this because I'm near death after the first boss fight. :( Its clear, that a japanese has mad the game, they are all born with many game-skill...but I'm not japanese. :lol:
And somehow I dad done many things wrong in the game (damn decissions) because I haven't the best weapons like I saw in some FAQs. Hm...this game is more than it looks at first.

... the only problem I have now (that I didn't have with the beta) is when I exit (using Start+Select twice) it doesn't go back to gmenu2x like it used to - it hangs at a black screen.

That's easy. Don't start 'doukutsu', start 'doukutsu.gpe'. The latter one is a wrapper script which returns to your menu safely and makes sure your savegames don't get lost.

fusion_power said:
How can I survive the last bosses of the game? Somehow at the end there are only boss after boss but no savpoint or refill station between them and I really need this because I'm near death after the first boss fight. :( Its clear, that a japanese has mad the game, they are all born with many game-skill...but I'm not japanese. :lol:
And somehow I dad done many things wrong in the game (damn decissions) because I haven't the best weapons like I saw in some FAQs. Hm...this game is more than it looks at first.
The first battle is pretty easy, just try to figure out the way she moves, it's pretty repetetive... After a few times you should easily be able to defeat her without hardly losing any health.
If you have the automatic rifle, you can use that to kill the boss in the 2nd battle from above. (flying) After you defeat him, the prisoners there will give you a few life hearts to restore your health, make sure to grab as many as possible.
Battle against the core, well, no real strategy, repeat what you did back in the labyrinth and use the life bottle you got from jenka when necessary.

There are no wrong decisions in the game by the way, and if you went for the normal ending, the automatic rifle was the best choise anyway. If you waited for a stronger weapon, you wouldn't have had the advantage of flying. :)

Fantastic game, and a beautifully playing port - feels like this was made for the GP2x :D. Will definitely keep me going to and from work for a little while :)

Simon Parzer said:
That's easy. Don't start 'doukutsu', start 'doukutsu.gpe'. The latter one is a wrapper script which returns to your menu safely and makes sure your savegames don't get lost.

Aah, thanks - that's what I did wrong. All fix0red now.

why cant i find the tow rope, which should in the bottom right corner where you first encounter the core and is needed to finish with the true ending?

tamorris said:
why cant i find the tow rope, which should in the bottom right corner where you first encounter the core and is needed to finish with the true ending?
You'll only find it if you ignored Booster in the room before and headed right for Curly Brace. If you went down, talked to him, and recieved the Booster 0.8, then you won't be able to get the true ending.

Draken said:
tamorris said:
You'll only find it if you ignored Booster in the room before and headed right for Curly Brace. If you went down, talked to him, and recieved the Booster 0.8, then you won't be able to get the true ending.

This was one of my mistakes to. I also skipped my gun to the machine gun so I can't get the best weapon ingame. ^^ Ok, the Machine Gun isn't bad but of course I want to see the "true" ending. :)

It doesn't matter what gun you have. You can get the true ending even with the machine gun. The only real requirement to get the true ending and extra zone is to ignore booster, get the tow rope and save curly brace.

The spur (best weapon in the game) is pretty good, but in my opinion it doesn't beat the machinegun's infinite flight, even when you recieve the Booster 2.0 later on.

Pah, who needs infinite flight :p the Spur rocks! Killing the last bosses (not the hell boss) is no problem with it, as it does NOT level down (you have to charge it).

The hell boss is another story :p couldnt beat it yet.

I was alway out of town for 5 days... and things just keep moving on... amazing... what can transpire in a few days...

My question is this... I just updated to v1.01... is there a way to bring over the saved game file from v1.00 or do I have to start from the beginning again...? I was not able to find any sort of saved files... additional game saves would be welcome for secondary players on the device. Unfortunately... we are not alone.... :rolleyes:

Back