Doukutsu Monogatari ~ Cave Story

the music seems to skip occasionally with this version. still great work. love this game and great port.

Actually this is since 1.00. There is a short skip everytime a new level is being loaded. It's a bit worse with 1.03 as the loading takes longer because of the compressed file system image. IMO it is acceptable.

ok just thought i would mention it. definiitely not a big deal to me just if it hadn't been in there before might have been something to look into a bit.

definitely not complaining as this is a great port that now barely takes up any space on the sd. also cool to hear that this will be packaged with the new version of the gp2x

Not getting to play this much... well not at all lately, I have been busy with other things... I just have enough time to lurk around this board. But I did want to thank Simon for his continued work on the port.

Man, this is hard. I'm at the end right now and it's like boss after boss after boss without being able to save and stuff.

I keep getting killed :(

First off, I'd like to say thank you very much to Simon for this port. The GP2X seems to be a perfect match for Doukutsu Monogatari, I've even been finding the joystick easier to use than my trusty Dual Shock with the PC version.

Shamefully, this deserved praise only arises with the usual string attached, in as much as I've encountered a crash (exits back to GMenu2X) when trying to enter the Rest Area in the Plantation in V1.03. This occurs whether the profile.dat was generated by the GP2X or PC versions. Given that I'm sure a great many others are enjoying this I fear I must be doing something abnormal, but I've tried downloading the file again, unpacking it with both 7-Zip4.42 and IZArc2Go3.81b1550, and copying a second version over. I didn't think to retain my copy of V1.00, so cannot compare with previous releases.

Examples of profile.dat with which I have experienced this problem can be found here.

jegub said:
First off, I'd like to say thank you very much to Simon for this port. The GP2X seems to be a perfect match for Doukutsu Monogatari, I've even been finding the joystick easier to use than my trusty Dual Shock with the PC version.

Shamefully, this deserved praise only arises with the usual string attached, in as much as I've encountered a crash (exits back to GMenu2X) when trying to enter the Rest Area in the Plantation in V1.03. This occurs whether the profile.dat was generated by the GP2X or PC versions. Given that I'm sure a great many others are enjoying this I fear I must be doing something abnormal, but I've tried downloading the file again, unpacking it with both 7-Zip4.42 and IZArc2Go3.81b1550, and copying a second version over. I didn't think to retain my copy of V1.00, so cannot compare with previous releases.

Examples of profile.dat with which I have experienced this problem can be found here.

Ok i tried your saves and experienced the same bug

Last edited by a moderator:
I've encountered a crash (exits back to GMenu2X) when trying to enter the Rest Area in the Plantation in V1.03.

I know about this crash, I've experienced it two times but have not been able to reproduce it. Alas, couldn't get a backtrace or debug output because the next time I tried to enter the rest area it worked. It's not only the rest area, though: It also happens occasionally with the save room before.
Thanks a lot for your detailed report, I'll try your savegame, maybe I can figure it out this time.

I REALLY hope it's no GP2X specific bug. Debugging on the GP2X is a real pain.

I've played through the Plantation on both saves now, wearing out the hinges on the Rest Area door at various intervals, and everything has been rock solid.
So I believe huzzahs are in order!
huzzahmu1.gif

Thanks for all your hard work.

It needs a complete replay fo every ending possible and see if it's ok now.

(But its too late i'll do it tomorrow)

This cramfs thing is making my n00b head spin. I put the file in my SD card and my GP2X doesn't even see it. Could someone post a n00b guide how to get this to run? Where is my 'Data folder'?

Data folder is created automatically at runtime.
You just unzip the game to your SD card, you go into the gp2xDoukutsu-Folder, then you run the doukutsu.gpe. Should work as usual.

Simon Parzer said:
This cramfs thing is making my n00b head spin. I put the file in my SD card and my GP2X doesn't even see it. Could someone post a n00b guide how to get this to run? Where is my 'Data folder'?

Data folder is created automatically at runtime.
You just unzip the game to your SD card, you go into the gp2xDoukutsu-Folder, then you run the doukutsu.gpe. Should work as usual.
Unzip? Am I supposed to change the '.tar' to '.zip' or '.rar' or something like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back