Cave Story ~ Doukutsu Monogatari

Ok, I did a reverse-engineered techdemo, basically an SDL based map loader with quick'n'dirty player movement. I didn't port it to the GP2X yet. I'll post it to doukutsu.livejournal.com in the hope that they'll help me to obtain the source code.

Simon Parzer said:
Any other suggestions? If the answer is no, could someone translate it and send it off to Pixel? Or shall we make (*sigh*) a completely useless playable demo first?
I have translated your email into Japanese, and I'll try pasting it here. I'm afraid encoding errors means that the Japanese won't show up properly though. (Yep, the preview has it screwed up.) If you would like, I can act as an intermediary. Either PM me, email me (fugu at the domain of my listed webpage) or post here with whom I should contact in that case.

Why would a playable demo be useless?

--

ピクセル様ã¸ã€

パーザー・サイモンã¨ç”³ã—ã¾ã™ã€‚洞窟物語をGP2Xã¸ãƒãƒ¼ãƒˆã•ã›ã¦é ‚ããŸã„ã¨æ€ã„ã¾ã™ã€‚GP2Xã¨ã„ã†ã®ã¯ãƒªãƒŠãƒƒã‚¯ã‚¹ãƒ™ãƒ¼ã‚¹ã®æºå¸¯ã‚²ãƒ¼ãƒ ã‚³ãƒ³ã‚½ãƒ¼ãƒ«ã§ã™ã€‚洞窟物語ã¨å…¨ãåŒã˜320x240ピクセルレゾリューションをã—ã¦ã„る上ã«ãƒ‘ワーもãŸã£ã·ã‚Šã‚ã‚Šã€ãƒ”クセル様ã®ç«‹æ´¾ãªä¸–界中ã§é«˜ã評価ã•ã‚Œã¦ã„るゲームを上手ãGP2Xã‚’æŒã£ã¦ã„る皆様ã«æ¥½ã—ã‚る事ãŒã§ãã‚‹ã¨æ€ã„ã¾ã™ã€‚ãƒãƒ¼ãƒˆã™ã‚‹ã®ã«ãƒ”クセル様ã®è¨±å¯ã¨ã‚½ãƒ¼ã‚¹ã‚’é ‚ã‘ã‚Œã°ã€ãƒãƒ¼ãƒˆã•ã›ã¦é ‚ããŸã„ã®ã§ã™ã€‚

ç´°ã‹ãã¯ç¬¬ä¸€æ´žçªŸç‰©èªžã‚’SDLã¸ãƒãƒ¼ãƒˆã—ã€GP2Xã ã‘ã§ã¯ãªãã„ã‚ã„ã‚ã®OSã«ã‚³ãƒ³ãƒ‘イル事ãŒã§ãるよã†ã«ãªã‚Šã¾ã™ã§ãã¾ã™ã€‚Nintendo DSã‚„PSPã¾ã§å¯èƒ½ãªã‚“ã§ã™ãŒã‚‚ã¡ã‚んピクセル様やã»ã‹ã®äººãŸã¡ãŒãƒãƒ¼ãƒˆã—ã¦ã„る作業ãŒã‚ã‚‹ãªã‚‰é æ…®ã—ã¾ã™ã€‚

ã‚‚ã—ã€è³›æˆã—ã¦ãれれã°ã‚½ãƒ¼ã‚¹ã‚’ãŠé¡˜ã„ã—ã¦ã‹ã‚‰ã„ã‚ã„ã‚ã®äººãŸã¡ã«æ´žçªŸç‰©èªžã‚’楽ã—ã‚ã¾ã™ã€‚ç§ã¯ãŸã£ã·ã‚Šè‡ªä¿¡ãŒã‚ã‚Šã¾ã™ã€‚GP2Xã¸ã®ã„ãã¤ã‚‚ゲームをãƒãƒ¼ãƒˆã—ãŸäº‹ãŒã‚ã‚Šã¾ã™ã®ã§ã€ã©ã†ãžã‚ˆã‚ã—ããŠé¡˜ã„致ã—ã¾ã™ã€‚

パーザー・サイモン
Parzer Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would a playable demo be useless?

Because after you retrieve the source you have to start from scratch nonetheless.

Anyway, I wrapped together a playable demo and tried my luck on the Doukutsu LiveJournal (meeting point for the community). I got a reply from some guy who already does an SDL port for the Gamecube. If I could somehow get his code as soon as he is done (he already has quite a bit of the game implemented) I could do a GP2X build in a matter of days.

Oh, and FuguTabetai, thanks for your translation. I don't need it at the moment, but I'll get in contact with you if the deal with Pete (the guy who already does an SDL port) doesn't work out.

Good news everyone. After getting Pixel's permission I received the (unfinished) SDL sources from our friend Pete. Did a Linux build last night, and everything but the music works already. I still have to test it on the GP2X and rewrite the music engine, though.

I don't promise anything, but expect a complete and fully playable release in the next few weeks.

Simon Parzer said:
Good news everyone. After getting Pixel's permission I received the (unfinished) SDL sources from our friend Pete. Did a Linux build last night, and everything but the music works already. I still have to test it on the GP2X and rewrite the music engine, though.

I don't promise anything, but expect a complete and fully playable release in the next few weeks.
Excellent news!!
I'm really looking forward to this.
Good work Simon.

Simon Parzer said:

Will the 320x240 resolution of the GP2X a problem? I doesn't know the original res of the PC Game but I could imagine, it was higher.

Draken said:
No, Cave Story's resolution is 320x240 as well, so it fits perfectly. :)
Nice. :)
I hope with GP2X I'm not dying after 10 seconds ingame. Jumping on top of the enemies seems to be the wrong way to kill them in this Game. :lol:

You shoot them with weapons.

When you first start out, just follow the path down, avoid the monsters, get in the room with the guy, steal his gun, and you're set. :)

20 hours of gameplay, excellent story, 3 different endings, silky smooth controls and gameplay, ... Should be great on the gp2x. :)

Simon Parzer said:

If you are lying I will hunt you down like an animal.

Just kidding. :p This is seriously great news. I'm looking forward to a release.

Seriously, though. :ph34r:

:p

fook yes! Awesome! I am really looking forward to this... Again, gp2x homebrew scene is the best ever!

Ok, the GP2X port is nearing release.

I'll put up a test version (with full sound and music) tomorrow. Currently I have two versions, a standard SDL build which needs a bit of overclocking (266 should be full speed) and a HW accelerated SDL build (using paeryn's) which runs at fullspeed with 200 MHz but has a few glitches (paeryn's is still in alpha stage, I'm afraid).

Oh, and in the meanwhile, one thing: My mixing function seriously needs optimizing. I don't know if this is still possible, I've replaced all divisions by bitshifts and some logical constructs by bitwise operation. But that said, I'm not very good at optimizing things. If someone would take a look at it, would be nice (contact me if you know how to optimize code).

Try compiling it with the Open2x Libraries (you can get prebuilt library packages here).

They were MUCH faster and more stable for me than Paeryns :)

Yeah, I'm already using the latest Open2x libraries. The SDL included is 1.2.11 with paeryn's changes. When I use HW acceleration I'm basically using paeryn's code. Which produces some small glitches.

Back