Cave Story

W-Ring

Still Fresh
Would it be possible to port Cave Story/Dōkutsu Monogatari to the Pandora? Since it is freeware there would be no licensing issues, and the file size is very small.

Googled it and it's freeware true but not open source, how ever some people have been able to get the source code from Pixel them selfs by showing them that they actually can do it, but from what I read Cave Story uses some DriectX SDK and according to

Peter Mackay
"While the code is generally clean, it is very Windows-centric. Some data files (notably the music and end sequence images) are linked into the executable as resources and there are also many uses of Windows types like RECT and BOOL throughout the code."
- http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/2007/07/13/cave-story-source/

however it is possible if someone feels up for it.

EDIT:

Optimus said:
Of course! It's already ported in GP2X and plays very well.

Oh, didn't know that, then it shouldn't be any problem at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, yeah. We've been over this a lot. The biggest thing would be if someone wanted to change the resolution to fit widescreen.

Well IIRC the psp had a port of Cave story also. I relize the architecture is diffrent but if the game was written with proper modulation of diffrent game systems, and considering the screen sizes of Pandora and the PSP are almost the same it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Their will most definatly still be some work to it but a lot of it might just be copy & paste :p

Hello,

there was a thread about this a long time ago. The conclusion was that I was wrong and an idiot; and that you can use weird resolutions for Cave Story without scretching pixels. However, at such a high resolution for the pandora, we would probably want to double pixels and apply any filters to that if required.

icurafu said:
Hello,

there was a thread about this a long time ago. The conclusion was that I was wrong and an idiot; and that you can use weird resolutions for Cave Story without scretching pixels. However, at such a high resolution for the pandora, we would probably want to double pixels and apply any filters to that if required.
Pixel doubling isn't bad on this game. I generally play it doubled on my computer, and I don't believe that has any filters. It has the retro, blocky look anyways, so it doesn't really hurt.

I think Cave Story would be fine with pixel doubling and optionally either showing the edges past 640x480 or pillar-boxing them. I played through the PSP version (beat the sacred grounds) and it's okay with a 480x272 viewport, although it'd be preferable to not have such a big one. An 800x480 viewport would be waaaay too big though.

Hey guys,

I noticed this thread in my blog stats so I thought I'd take a look.

I have no doubt Cave Story would be portable to Pandora. After my employer got WiiWare dev status (and implicitly shot down my GameCube Cave Story plans) I was considering doing a port to iPhone or to WiiWare if I could get Pixel's permission.

Unfortunately it sounds like he's got other plans for Cave Story (that's my interpretation of an email he sent me) and wasn't able to grant permission for me to do an iPhone or WiiWare version.

Presumably it would be the same for any future ports, like Pandora. It's probably worth sending him an email to ask though, just in case.

Peter

Basically what Exophase said. Use the 640x480 resolution with pixel doubling (the code for this is there already and used in the Windows port for fullscreen mode). For the edges, either show more tiles (bigger viewport) or leave black borders.

About the legal stuff: Pixel agreed to the GP2X port, so I don't see why we wouldn't be allowed to run it on the Pandora, too.

Hey, WiiWare is only a pay-for service. Ofcourse he is not going to let you steal his game to make money from. And the iPhone is just junk; I can see how someone could have an ideological stout against that. But the Pandora? What kinda retro nut wouldn't jump at porting their retro themed game on a device like that.

icurafu said:
Hey, WiiWare is only a pay-for service. Ofcourse he is not going to let you steal his game to make money from.

I wouldn't do that. If Nintendo would allow us to put it on there for free, that's what we'd do. If not, then we'd work out an agreement with Pixel and AGTP where everybody would benefit. Please don't accuse people you don't know of being thieves, thanks.

icurafu said:
And the iPhone is just junk;

In your opinion. Many people seem to like theirs.

icurafu said:
I can see how someone could have an ideological stout against that. But the Pandora? What kinda retro nut wouldn't jump at porting their retro themed game on a device like that.

Indeed. I don't think anybody is saying otherwise.

Simon Parzer said:
About the legal stuff: Pixel agreed to the GP2X port, so I don't see why we wouldn't be allowed to run it on the Pandora, too.

Absolutely. The iPhone port would have definitely been free too.

Back