Cave Story / Ginge(GP2X wrapper)

Will it be possible to pack gp2x games as pnds? Can I run something like "ginge game.gpe" directly?

Edit... also is it possible to change key layout on per-program basis if it is inside pnd?

greendots said:
Will it be possible to pack gp2x games as pnds? Can I run something like "ginge game.gpe" directly?

Edit... also is it possible to change key layout on per-program basis if it is inside pnd?

While my response is a shot in the dark, I would imagine it would be much like the setup of an emulator.
Ginge may not be one, but would probably be in a PND and you would have a directory of GP2x software much like a directory of Roms.

You should then be able to change Ginge's key mapping before loading each game, much like an emu allows.

Might even be able to repackage it all to include your Gp2x games in the PND, but also you would have to do that yourself with an Emu and it's Roms.

Now, it's time for Notaz to post and then I will surely be wrong, as I so often am when I'm sure I finally have gotten how it all works. LOL :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ginge simply maps the DPAD, L/R, ABXY, Select and Start buttons from the gp2x to the same ones on the Pandora.
Don't know where Vol+/- is mapped though yet ;)

Currently, it runs the F200 GP2X Menu which will then allow you to browse through your SD Card as if it was a GP2X.
So basically, put Ginge onto your old GP2X SD Card, and you're setup :)

However, it should also be possible packaging GP2X Games inside a PND and let them be run directly by Ginge instead of the GP2X Menu.

This is just like having a SNES run the complete NES library.

(hey the 65C816 is really just a beefed up 65C08)

Cept its runs MANY times faster! (and more RAM!)

G.I.N.G.E - Like W.I.N.E but redder... ;)

This looks amazing, I'm happy to see that Wiz is also gaining some new stuff, I liked the little machine and miss it quite badly. I'm sure all the pangs of regret will dissapear when my Pandora arrives though, could only have one or the other and really it's no contest - like a Mike Tyson vs Steven Hawking contest. Both are good, though Tyson certainly lacks processing power and in a particle physics/string theory debate Hawking would pulverise poor little numb scull Tyson.

I just realized this will wipe out the GP2X - totally.

The Pandora is better in every way AND runs (100% ?) of GP2X software.

(and with a solid D-Pad to boot!)

Series-8 said:

Just like the GP2X wiped out the Gameboy, NES, etc. that it emulated and the Wii wiped out Flash/Actionscript as a minigame compilation platform?

Series-8 said:

The second CPU isn't emulated so it's not 100%. Still its amazing work and the most interesting thing to happen in a while.

What actually uses the second CPU? Payback demo seems to be working and I'd have thought that would heavily tax the abilities of the GP2X. One of the reasons I sold my Wiz was cause I couldn't play Payback - this really would be the chocolate buttons on top of the icing on the already very tasty cake if it turns out Payback is going to be playable on the Pandora.

EDIT: Here's an extra question, does that Beebem work?

EvilDragon said:
Ginge simply maps the DPAD, L/R, ABXY, Select and Start buttons from the gp2x to the same ones on the Pandora.

Currently, it runs the F200 GP2X Menu which will then allow you to browse through your SD Card as if it was a GP2X.

However, it should also be possible packaging GP2X Games inside a PND and let them be run directly by Ginge instead of the GP2X Menu.
Sounds cool, do emus work with Ginge?

Series-8 said:

and three times more expensive?

DaveC said:
EvilDragon said:

Sounds cool, do emus work with Ginge?

Some will and some won't. It has been shown in a video that Gnuboy works. Also, I believe that any emu coded by nk should work, because that was before anyone started using the second processor. However, I doubt SquidgeSNES or PocketSNES would work, because I am pretty sure those used the second processor.

So here's the guideline: If it uses the second processor it won't work. If it doesn't it is likely (but not guaranteed) that it will.

-God Ginrai

greendots said:
Yes

greendots said:
Not at the moment, but that can be added later.

God Ginrai said:
However, I doubt SquidgeSNES or PocketSNES would work, because I am pretty sure those used the second processor.
No it didn't. The only GP2X apps I know that use second CPU are:
- vektar
- PicoDrive
- gngeo
and gpu940 apps:
- Egoboo2x
- eRootage

I think there was some more but I can't remember

Series-8 said:

Nothing beats original hardware. I'd rather play these games on GP2X despite joystick issues, but great job my Notaz.

How will this wipe out the GP2x (it's almost dead already anyway?) ?
Create an app for the Pandora, it will only run on the Pandora.
Create an app for the Wiz, it will run on the Wiz and - most probably - on the Pandora, as Ginge will evolve into Winwe.

Create an app for the GP2x, it will run on the GP2x AND the Wiz AND the Pandora - automagically! 3-times Win Strike!

So from a software side, can't see bad things happening. Noone buys a GP2x anymore anyway.

I just fear that... If the Caanoo will be wrapable on the Pandora, noone has a reason to buy a Caanoo anymore, thus ultimately sinking GPH's boat. But with that crappy hardware it's not like they wouldn't deserve it.

notaz said:

No it didn't. The only GP2X apps I know that use second CPU are:
- vektar
- PicoDrive
- gngeo
and gpu940 apps:
- Egoboo2x
- eRootage

I think there was some more but I can't remember

Great Stuff GP2X Mame here I come. On that note is it possible that some GP2X stuff such as Mame will actually run better on Pandora due to the higher clock speed?

Wolfsclaw said:
I just fear that... If the Caanoo will be wrapable on the Pandora, noone has a reason to buy a Caanoo anymore, thus ultimately sinking GPH's boat. But with that crappy hardware it's not like they wouldn't deserve it.
What if it goes the other way? Someone manages to get Pandora executables running on the Caanoo?

WizardStan said:
Wolfsclaw said:
What if it goes the other way? Someone manages to get Pandora executables running on the Caanoo?

borat-sexy-time.jpg

Ugh interoperation is a GOOD thing. it means the segmentation of the community should be less so, as everyone releasing apps for certain platforms will also automatically releasing apps on those that have a working GINGE...

As for which gizmos people will buy... obviously they will buy what they can afford and what appeals to them most.

Back