Looking For Peter Mackay (Cave Story Port)

Sofox

Still Fresh
So anyway, I like Cave Story (here if you don't know of this awesome game) and was wondering about a Pandora Port.

Like a good little boy I first did my research and found that while it is closed source, the code was given to a guy called Peter Mackay (blog here) who ported it to a number of platforms including Linux, Amiga 4.0, and GP2x. He asked to port to the Wii, but Pixel denied permission (very politely) because of course the unanounced WiiWare version was in the works. He was also denied an iPhone version.
To add to that, attempts to get it on the PS3 Linux (nearly complete) and Gamecube were shot down by various things, including NDAs at the company he worked for, so naturally this gave him bad experiences with porting the game.

He actually talks up in this topic, where due to the state of things, he thinks a port is technically possible, but with the Wii and iPhone options not allowed, he's not sure what the situation with the Pandora would be.

So then looking around, it appears that I can't find any details or information coming from him that comes after 2008. He stopped updating his blog in November of that year and he doesn't seem to have made further posts on this forum.

So I guess I'm wondering where he is and what the situation with a Pandora port of Cave Story is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sofox said:
So anyway, I like Cave Story (here if you don't know of this awesome game) and was wondering about a Pandora Port.

Like a good little boy I first did my research and found that while it is closed source, the code was given to a guy called Peter Mackay (blog here) who ported it to a number of platforms including Linux, Amiga 4.0, and GP2x. He asked to port to the Wii, but Pixel denied permission (very politely) because of course the unanounced WiiWare version was in the works. He was also denied an iPhone version.
To add to that, attempts to get it on the PS3 Linux (nearly complete) and Gamecube were shot down by various things, including NDAs at the company he worked for, so naturally this gave him bad experiences with porting the game.

He actually talks up in this topic, where due to the state of things, he thinks a port is technically possible, but with the Wii and iPhone options not allowed, he's not sure what the situation with the Pandora would be.

So then looking around, it appears that I can't find any details or information coming from him that comes after 2008. He stopped updating his blog in November of that year and he doesn't seem to have made further posts on this forum.

So I guess I'm wondering where he is and what the situation with a Pandora port of Cave Story is.

forget about it (and if you still cant search this forum)

I tried emailing Pixel about the possibility of getting it ported given that he or whoever owns it now could sell it on the appstore, but I got no response.
I'm afraid that I'll have to agree with Pickle one this one, and say just forget about it buddy...It'll probably never happen. :(

The last time this was brought up, the possibility of a static recompile of the GP2X version was mentioned. Is that actually possible?

SomeGuy99 said:
Is that actually possible?
Well... it's not impossible. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's feasible.

Some negotiations are at play, but who knows where things will go. Please don't pressure anyone on any front, people are talking about it, leave it at that :)

jeff

Think of all the positive press the pandora could get if it could play the most overrated popular indie game of all time. If only pixel wasn't a pathetic capitalist and instead joined the communist forces of Richard Stallman and I. Then we could port it.

Reciever said:
Think of all the positive press the pandora could get if it could play the most overrated popular indie game of all time. If only pixel wasn't a pathetic capitalist and instead joined the communist forces of Richard Stallman and I. Then we could port it.
Can pick your same old tricks unique posting style a mile away, comrade.

ps. I before E except after C.

Reciever said:
Think of all the positive press the pandora could get if it could play the most overrated popular indie game of all time.
I've only played the game on my GP2X after I lost the stick so I didn't get far. It would be great to play it with a good d-pad but at this point it is so old that it won't make much of an impact on Pandora sales.

Reciever said:
If only pixel wasn't a pathetic capitalist and instead joined the communist forces of Richard Stallman and I. Then we could port it.
I also wish it would go open source but maybe Pixel is thinking of doing something else with it rather than just ports. Also, I don't see open source as being communist like you're implying, I don't see sharing information as being oppressive.

second exodous said:
Also, I don't see open source as being communist like you're implying, I don't see sharing information as being oppressive.

You're confusing an economic system with a government. Communism is an economic system. The Soviet Union was a Dictatorship with an attempted communist economic system.

-God Ginrai

second exodous said:
I also wish it would go open source but maybe Pixel is thinking of doing something else with it rather than just ports. Also, I don't see open source as being communist like you're implying, I don't see sharing information as being oppressive.
Communism isn't about oppression, it's about equivalence. It's an economic model, not a social one.

edit: :ph34r:

Oh, boys, You really don't have mind what is communism in reality :-( The utopian theory that people with property give their property to others doesn't work. And communists take it by their way as right force other to give him fruits of their work. Maybe someone like to be killed for nothing just other opinion (the forbidden opinion). But thrust me, I really like that we stop this regime in our country. Read Orwell 1984 - it really close. My 18 years experience.
Communists are similar to Fascists, they are left and right hand of totality and dictatorship.
EDIT: For communists is equivalence just excuse for oppression.

peca said:
Oh, boys, You really don't have mind what is communism in reality :-( The utopian theory that people with property give their property to others doesn't work. And communists take it by their way as right force other to give him fruits of their work. Maybe someone like to be killed for nothing just other opinion (the forbidden opinion). But thrust me, I really like that we stop this regime in our country. Read Orwell 1984 - it really close. My 18 years experience.
Communists are similar to Fascists, they are left and right hand of totality and dictatorship.
EDIT: For communists is equivalence just excuse for oppression.
You seem to be mixing up Communism and "Communism".

You see, the first of these is good. And has never existed.
The second of which has existed, but is a force of evil.

Leave those political discussion out, folks. They lead nowhere, believe me. It seems we need some more training. I find it remarkable that PV manages to derail a topic with such a little stereotypic joke :D

Thanks Mali :)
Take my apologize. I usually don't do this, but I'm little overstressed now. Two big events to go tomorrow - my State exam (looks scary) and our Parliamentary election (looks scary too).

Back