Cge

alyinsanfran

Website
Visit site
Well I went down to Burlingame today for a few hours with a cobber. Played our hearts out, lots of nice cabs on freeplay. Played till our wrists and backs ached and we needed asprin.
Put up the top 2 scores on Defender, we used lots of credits on 2 player Gauntlet, I finally got to try a VirtuaBoy (man that was cool!), and bought a dvd of old Atari employees telling all.

If anyone's in the SF BAy Area this time next year I'd heartly recommend a visit to CGE, it's a hoot.

Yeah it was fun!
I really liked Mario Tennis on Virtua Boy, it's a shame they never developed that further. Though I have to admit, after I pried myself away from it and tried to re-focus on the main hall I felt a headache coming on, which I believe was one reason it didn't sell all that well.
The sheer number of carts for various systems was amazing. And boxed consoles by the dozen, inellivision, 2600, colecovision etc. Controllers I've never seen for them all too. Lots of lcd games, pacman and frogger lunch-boxes, tomy handhelds, dev kits etc. Those guys that squash consoles into handhelds were there, a mame cab-kit store, various old manuals for micro computers, lots of consoles on freeplay. No GP32 mention anywhere though, no real surprise I guess but I thought a GP stand would go down really well.
Oh and they had about 6 consoles playing Midway Arcade Treasures 3, it runs the racers nicely.
That session on 2 player Gauntlet almost killed us though, we got to level 20 and had to call it quits before we melted down!

damn, next year, I'm deffinately there...I've been meaning to go for the last couple of years, I have a few 'net friends that went this year....it sounds like a total blast...I'd love to play some of those more rare arcade cabinets, like Beavis & Butthead (unreleased - made by Atari) I've always wanted to play that, but the owner is against MAME, so chances of us getting a hold of it emulated are slim to none, unfortunately. :(

The MAME cabinet store would probably break me, though...I'd be eating Ramen noodles the entire trip! :p

The next cabinet I build will be a counter-top, I've been planning it for a few months now :D

Back