Changing locale (to UTF-8)

Sandra

Still Fresh
Hi darls!♥ How do I set locale to utf8 instead of iso8859-1? I'm on SuperZaxxon 1.76.

I don't have a working Pandora to test this on, but all the tools I've looked at come from glibc so there's reasonable odds on it working.

First use 'locale-def --list-archive' to list the locales that have been built. If there's one already built, you can use it directly, but if not you'll need to generate it by I think uncommenting the locale you want in /etc/locale.gen and run 'locale-gen'. I don't know what sources locale-gen actually uses so that's the sort of thing that may have been cropped in shrinking the os to fit in 256GB I think, but any errors should be enlightening, I hope.

Then to use it you need to edit your /etc/locale.conf to use it and restart any apps that use your changed settings. I think that should do it.

Last edited:
I saw the question yesterday but i don't know how to answer. Thanks @levi

Anyway the correct command is " locatedef "
On my Pandora:
locatedef --list-archive
return this list
de_DE
de_DE.utf8
en.GB
en.GB.utf8
en_US
en_US.utf8
es.ES
es.ES.utf8
fr.FR
fr.FR.utf8

also locale.conf is not present under /etc....

Reactions: rSl
also locale.conf is not present under /etc....
Okay, it's good that the Pandora has plenty of locales already built, which should satisfy most users. If locale.conf isn't there then I'm not sure how the Pandora defines its locale then, I'm afraid. Maybe it's under the GUI settings widget somewhere?

Edit:You can test out changes to your locale using the 'locale' command, which will spit out all locale variables with their settings if set. If you launched everything from a bash terminal, you could just set those LC_* variables in your .bashrc, but if you want everything in the default gui to be localised then you'll need some other script that runs early enough, you could try your .xinitrc maybe (all files in your home directory).

Edit2: I've found a script on my Arch-based systems called /etc/profile.d/locale.sh. On those systems that looks for files in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/locale.conf, $HOME/.config/locale.conf, and finally /etc/locale.conf. If the Pandora has a similar script then you could use one of the locations looked for in there. Perhaps /etc/locale.conf isn't populated by default, my Arch systems have 'localectl' which is part of systemd, which the Pandora won't have, but if they have that locale.sh script then you can make one yourself using the variable names from the 'locale' command. You can test changes more immediately by sourcing that script ('source /etc/profile.d/locale.sh') before running whatever you want to test from that same terminal.

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
Back