Charging The Wiz.. Help Quick ;)

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
[see below for a workaround, if you happen to be a dev with a devkit and no power adapter :)]

Just got my Wiz dev unit, and have like 2 days to put together the demo to include in ROM (and then work on the real thing..) Naturally they didn't include any docs or the like, since its all 'in motion' over there. I've been bugging poor Orkie since I'm in such a rush and running blind.. thanks Orkie :)

I had it doing USB charging for a bit the other day, but it looks to me like it (like a PSP and other devices) will only do USB charging if it already has 'some' charge to go on (ie: is partially on.) Or at least with the in-dev firmware/hardware I've got, since I can't usb charge it now (and can't turn it on either, so hence is dead.) And I need to get some dev going ASAP.

(and naturally, they didn't document the power requirements for an adapter; theres a spot on the BoB dev board for one, and I'm really not wanting to just kill the device like some have (its different power requirements than a gp2x apparently.))

Anyone with a Wiz dev know how to charge from scratch using USB?

(Theres a male-to-male USB spot I've not used; I've been trying to use the USB-mini since its a cable you would actualy have around.. guess I needd to run to the store to buy a male-to-male USB adapter nd hope it works. Why must nothig ever be easy? :)

jeff

Found a samsung phone around here, but it has a different width connector on it, so thats a no go too. Damnit.. whenever you sent aside a bit of time for somethigm you end up screwed :p

jeff

Did you try leaving it plugged to the USB port for 15 minutes or so before you switched it on? it works for some devices.

heh, for fun I'll leave it for 20 mins; othern't that, the soldering iron is coming out and I'll take KungPhoo's tip .. solder USB wires (red to post, black to side) on the DC-in on the dev-BoB.

jeff

skeezix said:
Just got my Wiz dev unit, and have like 2 days to put together the demo to include in ROM
Whoa no way, I thought the original deadline for built-in software was Sept 10, and now since Wiz production got delayed by 30 days to accommodate the new buttons and headphone jack, I assumed more time was given for the software :-/

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno, I'll talk to them :)

KungPhoo's trick seems to work; didn't want to wreck the DC-in, but on the bottom of the BoB the pinout is easy.. three pins under the DC; the closest to edge (I call it 'front') is nothing; the rear one then (furthest from edge) is post and the side one is the side of the DC.

Hack open a full USB cable, solder red to post (rear) and black to side and can charge from there on the dev BoB :p

jeff

Back