Cheapest Sd Card Ever Or Rip Off?

Miner49er

Website
www.lessermatters.co.uk
It looks like the real deal and the seller has a lot of feedback...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-32GB-Secure-Digital-Card/dp/B002G12OBO/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

Hmmmm....

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Other retailers are selling at 60+, and this guy expects us to believe he can undercut by over 50%? Feedback or no, I am not getting good feelings about the capabilities of these cards. Even if they are legit, odds are that they "fell off the back of a truck" if you know what I mean.

Whilst I can't comment on this particular seller, unfortunately, you cannot trust feedback as far as flash memory is concerned... Look at eBay, for example - most vendors of fakes there have sterling feedback records, and that is due to people not testing their cards/flash-drives and thinking that copying a text file to it constitutes making sure it works properly, and thus giving positive feedback as a result. (Many don't learn they've been had until much later, sometimes years after the fact, when it's far too late to do anything about it. And others believe the line about the goods being "faulty".)

Moreover, Amazon's own price seems to be cheaper (£25, as opposed to £40-ish) anyway, unless I'm severely misreading something...

Play.com had the same price £24.99 for the 32GB Sandisk card just yesterday, although their price has now increased. Looks legit on that basis.

Edit: Card arrived, it's marked Class 4, which is a great price decrease considering the first 16GB SD I bought was around £20 or so a year or more ago, and now for a little bit more you can get twice the storage, great for PSX rips. Will report back the tests.

Edit 2: h2testw results:

Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 4.46 MByte/s
Reading speed: 9.53 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

http://dealspl.us/Media-Storage_deals/p_hp-16gb-secure-digital-high-capacity-sdhc-flash-card

Well, I got this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003P3MCXW/ref=oss_product

32Gb, Class 10, now at £38ish, but I got it for £34.50.

No problem at all and arrive a day earlier than estimated.

No, I hadn't... but I feel compelled to do so now. :p

So, I'm moving everything off the SD Card and I'll run it completely (save the 512Mb Swap partition I've set up on it, which I don't really want to go through the process of setting up again!)

I'll report back when it's done.

Good luck! Hopefully the swap partition won't throw off the test. :lol:

Referring to the original poster: $50 seems to be about the going rate for the lower end 32GB cards on the sites I've checked; plus it's a Class 2 card which tends to be cheaper than the speedier Class 6/10 cards that a lot of places are selling. Not sure on the performance hit - my reads/writes on my Pandora have been fairly slow, but I'm not usually transferring a lot of data all at once.

Edit: Just noticed that everyone has been using £s instead of $s, though my point stands.

Prometheus said:
^ Have you tested it with H2testw?
WOO HOO! :)

Warning: Only 30429 of 30430 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 15.8 MByte/s
Reading speed: 18.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Now to move everything back again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back