Cheapo Xbox

ya know!

and i told myself i'd never buy an xbox either! i finally bought one two years ago after finding out about the apps/potential. so great! i got the jetset radio/sega gt set haha.

and about them crystal boxes, those things were so hot(still are?) early last year and were going for mad $$$ on ebay. still true? better check.

softmod scene is advancing fast... I'd heard you could do even the newest Xbox's now, as well haven't they done it so that now you can have a softmod and still go on Xbox Live? I know with the much older version I'm using you really can't. If they get Xbox live working w/o problems on a softmod there's no reason left not to do it....

Nope, Softmod and Live! is a no-go! BUT: I have a Mod and a MS backup on my E: drive and I can easily swithc between those two, so I am able to go on live quite easy (It's as easy as powering on the box with the DVD-tray open, select "restore MS backup" and voila, I can go on Live. And I can easily switch back by starting my (now) unmodded box, fire up Spilnter Cell and load the linux-savestate. There's an option "restore MOD" backup. BANG im modded again!)

I've ordered a mod chip and screw driver set. It should come monday. Next is a 120-250gig drive not sure which to get or where and also need the work out all the jargon about evox and stuff
Is there an idiots guide to modding and xbox for media and emulation somewhere

Horscht posted on Apr 23 2005 at 01:07 PM said:
Nope, Softmod and Live! is a no-go! BUT: I have a Mod and a MS backup on my E: drive and I can easily swithc between those two, so I am able to go on live quite easy (It's as easy as powering on the box with the DVD-tray open, select "restore MS backup" and voila, I can go on Live. And I can easily switch back by starting my (now) unmodded box, fire up Spilnter Cell and load the linux-savestate. There's an option "restore MOD" backup. BANG im modded again!)

This is what I meant... I had heard of people doing a trick which I guess this is what it was... 'swapping' the hard drive around every time you want to play on live, so it IS doable. Very cool

Really... it seems to me there is little or no reason at all these days to get a chip.

You know what really gets me though? As big a scene there is for softmodding on www.xbox-scene.com, if you go into #xbox-scene on IRC and start talking about softmods they will ban you so fast your head will spin. Oh wait, I forget, you'll get a healthy dose of flaming and THEN they will boot you. Like... I'm sorry... I modded my Xbox for free and w/o having to do hardly any work and somehow that makes all you chipped guys mad at me. Dicks....

So just a warning to all you would be or soon to be softmodders... xbox-scene.com forums? Great place to get info and discuss softmodding. #xbox-scene on IRC? Just stay away.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, dreamx xboxs have been fitted with faster celly processors. nothing you can do yourself i imagine, so if you want a slightly faster box for n64 emulation/linux then dreamx is the way.

and yeah, softmodding is kinda looked down upon for some reason. people always say stuff like chipping is better, easier down the road, etc...and in someways it is, but you can't beat doing it all for free. tsop flashing is always a cool alternative(not for newbies) too ;)
and how much easier has softmodding gotten? you don't have to patch every .xbe file you wanna run, right?

No, you don't need to patch any xbe files at all (i guess. Well, everytime I copy a retail game with craxtion, it patches the .xbe file, but I think this has something to do with the media check). I just found one homebrew game that wouldn't run on my xbox, allthough I would like to run it.

nope, didn't mean the media check, but another patch on top of it for so it'll load with the softmod exploit.
that's how it was with a really old softmod i've come accross a long while back, so things must be a lot better

I am looking at Krayzie's installer at the moment as it has a gamestate exploit to restore to retail stage...

Concpet, is "softmod installer deluxe" the full name?

I"m using an OLD softmod, one of the first UDE's, and no I dont have to patch or sign anything.

The only time chipping is easier that I can think of is if you want to upgrade your hard drive. It CAN be done with a softmod just a bit more stuff you have to do to do it. And of course it's a bit easier to get on Xbox live. For me (no time for the addiction that is Xbox live, and only need a big enough hard drive for my emu's and roms... in other words stock is PERFECT) a chip would be a waste of time and money.

bast, thats exactly why I chose to softmod, xbox live is a big no-no as I'm at uni, and I know it would swallow my life! However, I DO want a biger harddrive, because using my xbox as a media centre would be frigging awesome!

Back