Beta Chromium 4 With Ssl And Chromium Snapshot

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, got a few PNDs for you guys:

Chromium 4:

This is the same Chromium that was available so far, but it now saves everything in your appdata directory (no caching on the NAND anymore) and also: SSL is now working fine.

Chromium, latest snapshot:

This is the latest snapshot version. SSL works, too, saves everything in your appdata directory.
Only known problem: Bookmark Manager doesn't work.
You can still use bookmarks, delete and move them around using the right mouse button, but you cannot run the Bookmark Manager.

I also tried a v5 Chromium, but it freezed with some websites.

Enjoy those two PNDs and report any problems you might encounter :D

EvilDragon said:

This is the latest snapshot version. SSL works, too, saves everything in your appdata directory.
This seems to contradict the description on the archive:

The most recent snapshot version of Chromium.

So far, everything seems to work (incl. SSL) except for the bookmark manager. You can still use bookmarks using drag and drop, move them around and delete them via right-click - but you cannot access the bookmark manager.

Everything (cache, config, etc.) is saved on the NAND.
So does it save everything on the NAND or in the appdata directory? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice... typing this using the dev snapshot and I have some observations.

It seems the bookmark and settings sync is not working. It says sync performed but I can't see the bookmarks etc.

Extensions can't be installed... it thinks it's running in igcognito mode...
But... it's nice and fast and now supports ssl... easily the best browser for Pand...

OK just noticed something... the window is setup 800x600 soI had to shift drag it to see the post button!

yay one step closer to perfection we just need version 6 to work perfect inc bookmarks, cache to sd and ssl etc and maybe even use flash? is flash not built into chromium these days but you need to enable it? anyway even without flash if you get 6 workig perfect it would be the best day EVER :) (second best day after fixing wifi speeds)

Tom` said:
EvilDragon said:
This seems to contradict the description on the archive:
The most recent snapshot version of Chromium.
So far, everything seems to work (incl. SSL) except for the bookmark manager. You can still use bookmarks using drag and drop, move them around and delete them via right-click - but you cannot access the bookmark manager.
Everything (cache, config, etc.) is saved on the NAND.
So does it save everything on the NAND or in the appdata directory? :p

Sorry, my bad (shouldn't release stuff at 6 am :D
It does save everything in the appdata dir. NOT on the NAND :)

milkshake said:
yay one step closer to perfection we just need version 6 to work perfect inc bookmarks, cache to sd and ssl etc and maybe even use flash? is flash not built into chromium these days but you need to enable it? anyway even without flash if you get 6 workig perfect it would be the best day EVER :) (second best day after fixing wifi speeds)

Anyone got a link to a compiled 6er version?

Last edited:
So do extensions on this work? I just desperatley need adblock plus for chrome...

No they do not :(

I've tried both versions

The dev version was "weird"
Good old chromium 4 says it does not support extensions. I was able to open the bookmark manager though...

Still trying to compile V6, I am compiling in a VM and it never ends! I'll try moving the compilation to my new I5 notebook.

Well here is the latest SVN trunk version compiled for the Pandora:

http://www.rangelreale.com/pandora/chrome-trunk.tar.gz

I didn't noticed any changes from the previous compilation, still does not load any pages (only shows the sad face), and still gives the NSS error.

Well, if someone wants to mess with the executable and associated files, here it is. No pnd or something like that, this the compiled output binaries and resources.

Thanks a lot EvilDragon, while I'm not fully convinced I should use this over Midori (gotten used to that browser) it definitely seems more stable and easier to browse with. Well, among other features over it. I definitely would like to see this replace it in a future hotfix, the chromium 4.pnd I mean.

Definitely makes browsing easier, though some quirks also make it a bit different (after extensively downloading files for awhile I found that it just stopped loading pages, so I cleared the DL list, tried again, failed, and restarted my Pandora before resuming).

Korlithiel said:
/snip/ though some quirks also make it a bit different (after extensively downloading files for awhile I found that it just stopped loading pages, so I cleared the DL list, tried again, failed, and restarted my Pandora before resuming).
I am getting this download behavior with the earlier version of Chromium posted as a PND weeks ago as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have issues with the new chromium 4 version, although https now works great sometimes it just refuses to load any web page then when I try to close it sometimes it wont close even using the Pandora button kill switch it still doesn't close, if I then right click on its icon in the task bar and click close it disappears but if I hold the kill switch button again it still says its running, and it does seem sluggish until I restart.

anyone else having any of these issues? :(
:ph34r: :ninjad although it happens to me even if I haven't downloaded anything.

Hi,

As latest versions of Chromium support WebM/HTML5, I gave youtube videos with &webm=1 a go, without luck :(

It seems some codecs are missing, is anyone working on this issue ?

Bye, Magic Sam

Awesome. I'll be using the Chromium 4 pnd :)
Was waiting for this, as it seems the chrome addons site is HTTPS only and I wanted to test if addons worked...

milkshake, my main use for a portable web browser right now and so it's what I've been testing with. Hadn't even thought it might happen when just web browsing, but you did do a better job covering the issue and looking into it.

Hope to see that resolved in the future, but still very pleased with the program.

Works fine for me, great to see SSL working, best browser on Pandora just got better.

Got some very strange behavior from the "latest snapshot" which ED posted.
When I first ran it, it only ran in full window mode, no Pandora menu bar at the bottom.
After reboot, the menu bar returned.
However, when I tried to download a linked file to the SD card from a website, it borked the OS.
Got a black screen with the blinking cursor of death at the top left.
Had to reboot.
Then ran Chromium again, and it worked for a minute, then it popped up a download window for the previously failed file download.
Then, blank screen with the blinking cursor of death.

This was on a newly flashed system with HF 4 final on it.
'sup?

has anyone got a copy of the old chromium which doesn't have working https because i cant stand the instability of the new version and i deleted my old copy thanks

milkshake said:
has anyone got a copy of the old chromium which doesn't have working https because i cant stand the instability of the new version and i deleted my old copy thanks

You mean - the Chromium 4 version isn't stable?
That's weird, as it is the same version as before, just added the missing libraries for SSL :eek:

Chromium-Dev is not stable, yep.

Last edited:
Back