Release Chromium 4 with SSL and Chromium Snapshot

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, got a few PNDs for you guys:

Chromium 4:

This is the same Chromium that was available so far, but it now saves everything in your appdata directory (no caching on the NAND anymore) and also: SSL is now working fine.

Chromium, latest snapshot:

This is the latest snapshot version. SSL works, too, saves everything in your appdata directory.

Only known problem: Bookmark Manager doesn't work.

You can still use bookmarks, delete and move them around using the right mouse button, but you cannot run the Bookmark Manager.

I also tried a v5 Chromium, but it freezed with some websites.

Enjoy those two PNDs and report any problems you might encounter :D

yay one step closer to perfection we just need version 6 to work perfect inc bookmarks, cache to sd and ssl etc and maybe even use flash? is flash not built into chromium these days but you need to enable it? anyway even without flash if you get 6 workig perfect it would be the best day EVER :) (second best day after fixing wifi speeds)

WOW :) very nice no need for firefox anymore yay!

works great sofar ssl works (at least for gmail and last.fm) and its very snappy. This is my new default browser.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using the latest snapshot right now and it works great.

Only one thing, that I noticed in the first build already really annoys me:

When you drag the scrollbar on the right and pull it down, the site doesn't scroll or just scrolls unsmoothly and hangs. Everything else seems to work wonderful.

Edit: After more testing:

I get a grey rectangle in the bottom left corner occasionally.

The browser takes the whole screen now and the lower part is not visible because the widow is bigger than the screen. How can I make it the size of the screen again?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a grey rectangle in the bottom left corner occasionally.

The browser takes the whole screen now and the lower part is not visible because the widow is bigger than the screen. How can I make it the size of the screen again?
The grey rectangle is maybe the remains of a status update (loading...)

Screen size might be a bug, new window seems to work, although it might also have caused a later crash. Still seems usable to me at the moment, despite these issues.

Got some very strange behavior from the "latest snapshot" which ED posted.

When I first ran it, it only ran in full window mode, no Pandora menu bar at the bottom.

After reboot, the menu bar returned.

However, when I tried to download a linked file to the SD card from a website, it borked the OS.

Got a black screen with the blinking cursor of death at the top left.

Had to reboot.

Then ran Chromium again, and it worked for a minute, then it popped up a download window for the previously failed file download.

Then, blank screen with the blinking cursor of death.

This was on a newly flashed system with HF 4 final on it.

'sup?

I think I might have had the crash to blinking cursor (which I guess is X not running any more). The OS is fine, reboot fixes it. I thought I did something to provoke it, might have been messing about with dragging windows. (and yes, my window sizing is a bit random with the snapshot version)

ED: The dev snapshot has some issues and is fairly out of date by now - could you update it?

I love Chrome/Chromium, but there are some show-stopping bugs with the current build. Flashing cursor bug, too-full screen bug, etc. There are also major issues with downloading. Hopefully a newer build will fix some of them.

Occasionally it seems that clicking on a tab closes it, rather than selects it. Just tested again and weirdly I can't get the problem to repeat using RC1 - v4.8. Could this be a problem with a previous os build, I do use another direct from sd card? I'll check maybe it's with an earlier build.

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

About screen reports Chromium build 4.0.267.0 (34027).

Occasionally it seems that clicking on a tab closes it, rather than selects it. Just tested again and weirdly I can't get the problem to repeat using RC1 - v4.8. Could this be a problem with a previous os build, I do use another direct from sd card? I'll check maybe it's with an earlier build.

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

About screen reports Chromium build 4.0.267.0 (34027).

yep i get this sometimes

I can't install any extensions. The prompt vanishes as soon as it slides onto the screen fully, and if I click continue just before it disappears, nothing happens.

Help?

I think its a relatively old version of Chromium in the PND, so until a more upto date version is ported its unlikely the extensions can be used for now. I could well be wrong though.

It'd be nice if the more up to date version was just Chromium, not ChromiumOS.

True. We'd need somebody who can port and compile it then - I just took the snapshot binaries, and sadly they're only available including ChromiumOS.

@ED can You re-compile chromium with option to start chromium in fullscreen [-kiosk and --app= switches ] and with F11 fullscreen key enabled, This version of Chromium cant work in fullscreen mode. F11 dont work as well..

@ED can You re-compile chromium with option to start chromium in fullscreen [-kiosk and --app= switches ] and with F11 fullscreen key enabled, This version of Chromium cant work in fullscreen mode. F11 dont work as well..

I'd love to, but I never compiled it.

I was simply using the ARM snapshot binaries.

Chromium isn't that easy to compile, and I'm not really a coder, so I can only do simple recompiles :(

Back