Circle pads and shoulder buttons without function

jedi23

Very Active Member
Yesterday, I booted my Pyra and wasn't able to navigate the mouse via the circle pads or use the shoulder buttons for capital letters, etc.
I assume that the daemons / plugins for these special buttons (FunKeyMonkey or pyrainputctl) are not working correctly.
Besides regular debian package updates (apt upgrade) I did no tinkering with the device, so maybe a config file could have been overwritten?

Any ideas what went wrong and how to fix this?

Well I had this issue some time, but only when a Emulator who used the Nubs (they aren’t circlepads , it’s „Nubs“ since the Pandora Days, don’t ask me why) as Analogsticks crashed, but after running the Emulator again or a different emulator and closed it properly it should go back to working…

I never had a Pandora. I decided to preorder a Pyra instead of buying a Pandora. That must have been almost exactly 2 months ago ;) I had a 3DS with a circle pad. But I'm okay with nubs :)

However, no help for me. The nubs AND shoulder buttons do not work at all, directly after booting or rebooting!

No, I booted the device 2 days ago after a few weeks of no usage and was wondering why my login password was not accepted. So I figured out that the left shoulder button did not shift to uppercase letters and that the nubs are not working.

So the last update I did a few weeks ago could have caused this. But since I haven't installed much from the debian repository, I am not sure this was really the cause because the problem then should have affected other Pyra users as well!

Any idea how to troubleshoot?

The only thing I can tell you, because it is quite buried in the forums, is how to test controls at hardware level.

First disable the Pyra service #systemctl stop pyrainput

Then run the input tester #/usr/share/pyra/bin/pyra_test_inputs

Also I noticed exactly the same behaviour when stopping pyrainput. I mean shoulder buttons and nubs not working. Therefor I bet the service is not running. Run #systemctl start pyrainput and see if it returns any error.

When I disable the pyrainput service, the shoulder buttons work and clicking the nubs work too, however no mouse cursor movement.
Then I enable the service again and they stop working as before :'(
So what exactly is the purpose of the pyrainput service?
In my current case it's just disabling the nubs and shoulder buttons at least ;)

I'm wondering how pyrainput is configured. It should take a configuration file (probably somewhere under /etc, but I can't guess) .But yes checking the journal first might not be a bad idea.

There are different ways to edit the config you can run the commands I've quoted below. This was mentioned on another thread and enables/disables certain parts of the gamepad. The config file does live under /etc/pyrainputl.cfg which is what pyrainputctl modifies anyways I think. If an app or game caused this you should be able to run in the terminal "sudo pyrainputctl no-overload" this happens as an app can modify the above config file for its specific game but if it crashes sometimes it doesn't reset it back to the original state. If you just run sudo pyrainputctl in the terminal it explains what it can do

Code:
sudo pyrainputctl enable gamepad
sudo pyrainputctl enable keypad
sudo pyrainputctl enable mouse
sudo pyrainputctl disable gamepad
sudo pyrainputctl disable keypad
sudo pyrainputctl disable mouse

For reference do you know which of the suggested commands you actually ran to fix the behaviour? And have you any idea what you could have run that would cause these issues?

I just needed to enable everything:

Code:

I have no idea what exactly disabled the pyrainput related buttons. I mainly use apps from the DBP repository, so one of these apps must have caused it. But since I did not use my Pyra a few weeks before I noticed the problem, I can't remember which app I used last...

Update: The emulator mupen64plus (v0.1) was the culprit.

Last edited:
Code:
This just fixed the same issue for me, also caused by mupen64plus (mupen64plus13020-0.1.dbp)

I was so confused why I couldn't type my password correctly when I rebooted! Then I realized the nubs, shoulder buttons and gamepad controls all stopped working. Very glad we have a keyboard shift key and a touchscreen! And this forum - you guys are so great!

Back